In state recruiting question

Dr.Gopher

Reaction score
When was the last time the #1 recruit in the state went to the U?

2007 i think. DT/DE Anthony Jacobs from Northfield. He will most likely be a starter on the D-Line this year as a Junior.

2007 i think. DT/DE Anthony Jacobs from Northfield. He will most likely be a starter on the D-Line this year as a Junior.

Yep. According to the Strib this AM (sorry all you haters):

2009 Bryce McNeal - Clemson
2008 Michael Floyd - Notre Dame
2007 Anthony Jacobs - MN
2006 Matt Carufel - Notre Dame
2005 Walker Ashley - USC
2004 Lydon Murtha - Nebraska
2003 Trevor Laws - Notre Dame

I keep forgetting McNeal was rated higher than Hageman.

Underachievers?

Look at that list--- aside from Michael Floyd, it's not much to be sad we've lost. Even he hasn't been healthy.

Here's to hoping Seantrel bucks the trend in more ways than one...

Lydon Murtha

Look at that list--- aside from Michael Floyd, it's not much to be sad we've lost. Even he hasn't been healthy.

Here's to hoping Seantrel bucks the trend in more ways than one...

might want to add Murtha. pretty good college numbers which landed him a late round nfl pick

Laws was also a second round draft pick, and a starting DT in the NFL.

It's way too early to tell on McNeal, but the only bust was really Ashley (arguably Carufel). Floyd has had some of the best numbers in the country for a WR in his first two seasons, Jacobs will be a 2.5 yr starter in the big 10, carufel started some at Notre Dame and will be a 2 yr starter here, Murtha is in the NFL (good college player too), and Laws is in the NFL (very good college player).

might want to add Murtha. pretty good college numbers which landed him a late round nfl pick

Murtha was his own worst enemy. I wish we would have landed him, but after his recruiting trip meltdown, Nebraska may have just been the right place for him.

I'll take Hageman any day over McNeal. Athletic and huge DEs are much harder to find than a decent WR. Hageman will make a much larger impact on the Gophers than McNeal ever would.

Murtha was his own worst enemy. I wish we would have landed him, but after his recruiting trip meltdown, Nebraska may have just been the right place for him.

I didn't follow recruiting back in '04(I was 14 and had better things to do lol) and never heart of this recruiting trip meltdown. Care to elaborate on it for some of us who don't know the story?

I'll take Hageman any day over McNeal. Athletic and huge DEs are much harder to find than a decent WR. Hageman will make a much larger impact on the Gophers than McNeal ever would.

agree 100%

Ryan Harris from Cretin-Derham Hall was not the number one recruit in the state his senior year, but he would have been nice to land.

I didn't follow recruiting back in '04(I was 14 and had better things to do lol) and never heart of this recruiting trip meltdown. Care to elaborate on it for some of us who don't know the story?

This is how I remember it:
Murtha seemed all set to sign with Minnesota and arrived for his official visit in early December 2003. By all reports he had a good time, and maybe too much of a good time one night at a local men's club. He ended up spending a great deal of time with one of the club's entertainers and word of it leaked to friends and family back home. It was an embarrassing situation for young Murtha and the Gophers were held responsible by his family. Soon after, he severed ties with the U and took an official visit to Nebraska and committed there shortly after.

FWIW the 2011 #1 player will be Tommy Olson and he committed to Minnesota prior to our first commitment in the 2010 class. He looks like a 4*.

Top Bottom