"In his three years..."

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
Watching the "alumni spotlight" video during the NW game the other night, the voiceover said, "In his three years at the University, Voshon Lenard scored over 1,000 points"

Do we really need to take the NCAA penalties that far that we can't acknowledge his senior season?

And why do Mychal Thompson and Kevin McHale's stats for all four years count? Didn't they have an entire season wiped from the record books?

Watching the "alumni spotlight" video during the NW game the other night, the voiceover said, "In his three years at the University, Voshon Lenard scored over 1,000 points." Do we really need to take the NCAA penalties that far that we can't acknowledge his senior season?

Yes, by rule, I think we do. The NCAA "vacated" those games, meaning the University of Minnesota has to treat them like they never happened. No wins, no losses, no points, etc. They can't refer to them in publications, banners, trophies, etc. If the U violates that, they could (although unlikely) suffer further penalties. Certainly acknowledging those games in a public video played before 14,000 people would violate the terms of the NCAA.

And why do Mychal Thompson and Kevin McHale's stats for all four years count? Didn't they have an entire season wiped from the record books?

Those teams were simply placed on probation. They did not have games vacated. Everything with those teams counts, including wins, losses, points, etc.

Forfeits are not the same as vacated games. Forfeits count as losses, stats count. Vacated games count as nothing, no stats, no nothing.

I must've misread the part above where you said "Everything with those teams counts, including wins, losses, points, etc."

I must've misread the part above where you said "Everything with those teams counts, including wins, losses, points, etc."

No, you read what I said correctly. We were credited with losing every game in that forfeited season. Obviously, in a forfeited season all you have is losses, but each and every one was counted, as I said. As were the stats to each and every game. In other words, there was an "official" record (0-27), and stats to count. Unlike the vacated seasons where we have no official record (0-0) and no official stats. And, there were other seasons we were on probation where the wins counted, as did the stats.

Top Bottom