In-depth Q&A: New Minnesota coach Ben Johnson on recruiting in-state, building culture and the next steps

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hamilton:

The thing everybody has tried to solve is recruiting Minnesota. Keeping the in-state talent at home. What’s the plan of action for that?

Like anything, we have to have a product that attracts people. Obviously in-state (recruiting) is important but that goes across the country. There are good players everywhere. Obviously with our in-state talent, we have to do a great job. We’ve got to prove to families that you don’t have to leave here to live out all your dreams on and off the floor. You can do everything you want right here, in your backyard, in front of friends and family.

We’re going to try to get those guys but we also have to do that nationally. We want to dominate locally but we want to reach nationally. I recruited Jordan Murphy, who had a hell of a career. I recruited Eric Curry, who had a heck of a career. There’s a lot of talent that can help us win a Big Ten championship and it’s our job to find the right ones.

What’s an example of setting that tone with the guys who are around, even though it’s only been a couple weeks?

We’ve had limited time, just because we’ve had spring break and I’ve had a limited roster. But the biggest thing with the guys we’ve had here is being visible and having the early, honest conversation. It’s calling guys into my office and saying, look, here’s how I am. I know you don’t know me and I know trust is earned. But in our first interactions you need to feel that what I’m saying is for the betterment of you. I need to be vulnerable as a coach and have my wall down and let those guys flourish and shine. They need to hear from me early that they’re going to be given opportunity, but they also need to hear what my values are. What are the standards? They want to know what position I’m going to put this program in and what we’re going to stand for. What are you about as a coach? That’s the message I’ve been trying to clearly depict to them.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom