Improvement

We don't know for sure yet that Brewster can't get it done, and the likelihood is just as great, if not greater, that his successor will be worse than he is.

What is this based on?

I think the opposite. I think that the next coach that is hired will have either head coaching experience or offensive or defensive coordinator experience. I think that if Maturi makes the next fb coaching hire he will not go out on a limb like he did with Brewster. I think that he will hire someone with solid coaching experience.

As for Brewster getting it done, I just don't see it. I do not see the progession on the field that I was expecting and being told by Brewster.

What you're suggesting is that we act like them now, when we are not them. How can you not see that schools with huge football budgets and a history of winning something in the last 40 years have a greater margin for error than the University of Minnesota? They can offer $3-4 mil to the next proven coach in line to fix their recent mistakes. We can't.

It's akin to treating a med student like a doctor. Or a law student like a lawyer. Or an accused like a convicted criminal.

Or like someone who wants to be rich, and observes that rich people drive expensive sports cars. So he goes out and buys an expensive sports car to be just like them, only to find out that it doesn't make him rich, but leaves him poorer than before.

What is this based on?

I think the opposite. I think that the next coach that is hired will have either head coaching experience or offensive or defensive coordinator experience. I think that if Maturi makes the next fb coaching hire he will not go out on a limb like he did with Brewster. I think that he will hire someone with solid coaching experience.

As for Brewster getting it done, I just don't see it. I do not see the progession on the field that I was expecting and being told by Brewster.

so someone like this guy ... although not an offensive or deffensive coordinator, a coach nonetheless, (although i see the advantages with an O or D coordinator as they have more X and O experience)

served as a special teams coach, tight ends coach, and recruiting coordinator under Mack Brown.
As a recruiter for Texas, he helped land a number of highly touted players, including Vince Young.

That guy is Tim Brewster.

My point, as stated in another thread by another poster as well, there is very little way to tell who will be a good coach and who will not.

so someone like this guy ... although not an offensive or deffensive coordinator, a coach nonetheless, (although i see the advantages with an O or D coordinator as they have more X and O experience)

That guy is Tim Brewster.

My point, as stated in another thread by another poster as well, there is very little way to tell who will be a good coach and who will not.

I will be honest, when Brewster was hired I did scratch my head because he had no real coaching experience. However, I supported him because he is our coach. But after seeing how this season is unfolding, I think it is time for a change.

I can not control who Maturi would decide to hire, but I do not think he will be hiring a coach without either HC experience or O or D coordinator experience. I think that if we had hired a HC with some real coaching experience, we would not have switched offenses after two years and had such a revolving door in the coordinator positions. I think Maturi learned a lesson from this hire that he will not repeat.

I agree, you can not determine who will be a great coach before they start working for you, but I think that if you hire a person with relevant coaching experience the chances are greater that he will be a good coach.

I will be honest, when Brewster was hired I did scratch my head because he had no real coaching experience. However, I supported him because he is our coach. But after seeing how this season is unfolding, I think it is time for a change.

I can not control who Maturi would decide to hire, but I do not think he will be hiring a coach without either HC experience or O or D coordinator experience. I think that if we had hired a HC with some real coaching experience, we would not have switched offenses after two years and had such a revolving door in the coordinator positions. I think Maturi learned a lesson from this hire that he will not repeat.

I agree, you can not determine who will be a great coach before they start working for you, but I think that if you hire a person with relevant coaching experience the chances are greater that he will be a good coach.

I think Brewster wanted to be the face of the program, recruit, inspire, etc. and have his assistants draw up gameplans and call plays, the X's and O's stuff. Only trouble is, he has changed coordinators every single year.

Have you been paying attention since 1971? If Brewster fails, that makes us 1-for-7. .143 ain't gonna get you to the big leagues.

In my eyes, Brewster has already failed, so it is time to start looking. If we keep Brewster next year, we are still going to have major issues that are going to lead us to a mediocre, at best, season. Namely, we are going to have a new starting qb.

Besides, it only takes hiring that one coach that has succes here to erase all the bad memories. I would rather go out there and take that chance of hiring that right coach than stick with someone you know is not going to take this team to the next level.

Barriero was right Brewster was going to fail.

That's helpful information. Will you please ask Dan who should replace Brewster? That will save Joel Maturi a lot of time in his job search, and will stop a lot of speculation and debate here.

Thanks.

37 rushes for 83 yards. This is an improvement?

I have seen improvement in this team. I support Coach Brewster for 1 more year assuming continued improvement.

Yes, it's good we can run the ball better than last year, but wouldn't a more balanced attack have given us a better chance against USC. Despite the 14-13 lead, you knew that 'SC would break out at some point and to beat them you'd have to keep scoring, not running out the clock.

I'll reserve judgement until the end of the year. I'm inclined however to support another year because:

- I think the new prez should hire the new AD should hire the new coach
- I think that the probability that we'll hit on a winner with the new coach has to exceed the probability the current guy will turn it around. That's a high bar because a lot of ADs have taken their best *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# and missed. I'll argue that Holtz had it, Stoll and Mason deserved more time, and Gutey, Wacker, & Salem were never going to get there. If you consider that all of the AD's that hired them thoght they had the right guy that means the probability of a direct hit is very low. In this case it is about 1 in 7, or 14%. This means that you shouldn't fire brewster unless A) You believe he has less than a 14% chance of turning things around, or B) the business aspect of the program is in such sorry shape that a change must be made. I don't think either is true today. The former is not true because many of his star recruits are just getting their ears wet. The latter is not true because we have a brand new sold out stadium.

If however at the end of the year we Re facin a 85% renewal rate because the coach and program are so unpopular, then fine let him go. Until then, as unpopular as it may sound, I think we hav to stand pat and try to support this young team.

That's helpful information. Will you please ask Dan who should replace Brewster? That will save Joel Maturi a lot of time in his job search, and will stop a lot of speculation and debate here.

Thanks.

Danny B is one of those guys on the job site who only can handle the dumb end of the tape measure. "wasn't me, I read zero down here boss."

I'll reserve judgement until the end of the year. I'm inclined however to support another year because:

- I think that the probability that we'll hit on a winner with the new coach has to exceed the probability the current guy will turn it around. That's a high bar because a lot of ADs have taken their best *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# and missed. I'll argue that Holtz had it, Stoll and Mason deserved more time, and Gutey, Wacker, & Salem were never going to get there. If you consider that all of the AD's that hired them thoght they had the right guy that means the probability of a direct hit is very low. In this case it is about 1 in 7, or 14%. This means that you shouldn't fire brewster unless A) You believe he has less than a 14% chance of turning things around, or B) the business aspect of the program is in such sorry shape that a change must be made. I don't think either is true today. The former is not true because many of his star recruits are just getting their ears wet. The latter is not true because we have a brand new sold out stadium.

If however at the end of the year we Re facin a 85% renewal rate because the coach and program are so unpopular, then fine let him go. Until then, as unpopular as it may sound, I think we hav to stand pat and try to support this young team.

This is actually a very smart take, and could easily be a right on prediction of the future.

I'm incredibly annoyed at the president for his statement regarding the AD position and his preference that the new president not have to hire an AD in his first year.
The new president SHOULD hire the new AD who SHOULD hire the new football coach.

I don't see what the failure rate of previous coaches has to do with whether or not Brewster should stay. I just don't see the connection. If it has any significance, I would say it has the opposite.

The new president SHOULD hire the new AD who SHOULD hire the new football coach.

A new broom sweeps clean.

If a new president is named and thinks he/she can place the right guy in the right position at that time, done deal, but thanks for worrying about my workload, Bob.

We may not have the time to wait until both Bruininks and Maturi have retired. How long will the search for the next President take, and then after that, how long will the search for the next AD take? That could easily extend the search for the next coach to after the 2012 season.

Top Bottom