Improvement

Section 109 Row 8-Middle
Reaction score
I have seen improvement in this team. I support Coach Brewster for 1 more year assuming continued improvement.

I have seen regression in this team...

Exactly. I do not see how one would call losing to a D-II school as improvement. If this year is called an improvement, under what circumstance are people willing to concede that the team is regressing?

Man, if this was a school like USC, ND, even Michigan, the fans would be calling for the coach's head at this point. But in MN we say, "Let's keep giving him a chance."

It is time to pull the plug!!!

The only thing I hate is people keep complimenting our Talent Level...

Well...when's it gonna start showing on the field?

I have seen improvement in this team. I support Coach Brewster for 1 more year assuming continued improvement.

I agree, I think the defense will be outstanding next year and Marquis will be ready to lead the O. I hope Brew get's one more year to prove himself. It makes no sense to change the head coach after 4 years, let his recruits come into their own and see what happens.

I agree, I think the defense will be outstanding next year and Marquis will be ready to lead the O. I hope Brew get's one more year to prove himself. It makes no sense to change the head coach after 4 years, let his recruits come into their own and see what happens.

His recruits are so over hyped by some it is ridiculous. They are and will be at best middle of the big ten talent, then add in the fact you have a coach that doesn't have a clue. This equates to a team that could at best finish middle of the big ten. His classes are continuing to decline and do not see that changing. There are coaches out there that can both coach and recruit and the gophers can likely get a coach that can do both. They could have the last time buy instead wanted to go with the used car salesman alone.

1) O line play compared to last year;
2) Secondary play compared to SD;
3) Running game compared to last year;
4) Penalties compared to last year;
5) D line play compared to last year--however the ends need to improve; and
6) This team, in particular the defense, plays with a lot more passion.

same names, same hating.

There has been alot of improvement, and one gaping gasping hole.

The o-line is better, recievers are better, Weber is even better. But not great which makes the haters blind to the improvement.

I've seen nothing on defense but alot of nice young depth. But if you didn't expect this you are a bit daft.

Personally, I would like to see a couple more games before I am ready to proclaim that this team has improved or regressed.

If we're so improved then why are we 1-2? Weber is better? He was 10/21 for 145 yds 1 TD & 2 INT last week before garbage time. He played much better against Cal last year. How is our D better when we got torched by USD? Is the O-Line really better when Weber is out there nearly every 3rd Down being rushed for his life?

I will say the Running Game is better but 83 yards against USC who is average this year is nothing to feel good about...

The Receivers? Nobody has filled Decker's shoes yet so it's hard to say we're better in that aspect.

If we're improved then why haven't we shown it on the field? Why did we beat a Backup QB MTSU by 1 TD in the last minute & lose to USD if we're better? Neither team IMO is better then when we played Syracuse last year...

If anything this NIU game will tell us all we need to know...we should win...but if we don't I just can't buy any of this "Improvement" talk...

I do agree that there has been some improvement, particularly in the OL. Although they looked like pooh vs. USD, but they had a lot of company in that regard. And as Schnoodler pointed out, the D is very young, but it has potential. They do need to develop a pass rushing threat, though.

The one statement in your post that has me cleaning coffee off my monitor, though, is your statement on Marquis Gray. What do you base that on? The wobbly passes he's thrown in the preseason scrimmages? The fact that he hasn't been able to displace a mediocre starting QB in over two years? Or his body of passing work in actual game situations (I think you can count his attempts on your fingers, with a couple left over).

Before the season the concensus was that Brewster deserved five years, provided he demonstrated some improvement. Given the schedule, noone (sane) expected more than 5-6 wins. Based on the current arc that isn't gonna happen. And one major reason for that is that he hasn't developed an alternative to Adam Weber or a dominant RB a la Maroney or Barber. A lot of that is because of the revolving door at OC, but whose fault is that? Unless Brewster can really turn it around in BT play AND win at least one rivalry game I don't see him getting a chance to have that 5th year. The sad thing is that with some consistency at coaching, both head coach & coordinator) we probably will be better next year. Let's hope you're right about #5, because I don't see an alternative.

Before the season the concensus was that Brewster deserved five years, provided he demonstrated some improvement. Given the schedule, noone (sane) expected more than 5-6 wins.

I expected 6+ wins as a measurement for "improved." Should I be asking my doctor about Zoilifed or should I be committing myself at this very moment?

I expected 6+ wins as a measurement for "improved." Should I be asking my doctor about Zoilifed or should I be committing myself at this very moment?

Since you predicted six or more, I guess that classifies you as having a borderline personality disorder. For that diagnosis I recommend 12 year old scotch over pharmaceuticals.

I do not see how one would call losing to a D-II school as improvement.

We didn't lose to a D-II school this year.

Man, if this was a school like USC, ND, even Michigan, the fans would be calling for the coach's head at this point. But in MN we say, "Let's keep giving him a chance."

That statement is so clueless I don't even know where to begin.

UM vs App State was the beginning of the sea change that has occured in college football. Top 10 FCS teams are able to compete with Top 25 BCS teams.
When the scholarships became limited players by the NCAA players needed to go somewhere. WI and NU picked up on this immediately and fielded teams that could compete using the UM and OSU castoffs.

For those who did not catch it

UM vs App State was the beginning of the sea change that has occured in college football. Top 10 FCS teams are able to compete with Top 25 BCS teams.
When the scholarships became limited players by the NCAA players needed to go somewhere. WI and NU picked up on this immediately and fielded teams that could compete using the UM and OSU castoffs.

USD is ranked in the Top 25 in FCS for the second week in row. They are not as terrible as advertised.

USD is ranked in the Top 25 in FCS for the second week in row. They are not as terrible as advertised.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean we should to lose to them at home. Playing (and losing to) a top 25 FCS team is like going stag to the prom and asking the cutest fat chick to dance. If she blows you off its still a long walk back across the dance floor.

asking the cutest fat chick to dance. If she blows you off its still a long walk back across the dance floor.

hehehehe. soul crusher.

I am an alum of NDSU, I know a lot about FCS football as I covered it for four years.

When NDSU beat Minnesota they were a really good football team and would have (and did) beat a number of FBS teams that year.

South Dakota will LOSE at least five games this year.

Sat, Sep 25 at North Dakota State (Fargo, N.D.) 6 p.m. LOSS
Sat, Oct 2 North Dakota * (DakotaDome) (Dakota Days) 2 p.m. WIN
Sat, Oct 9 at UC Davis * (Davis, Calif.) 8 p.m. LOSS
Sat, Oct 16 Northern Iowa (DakotaDome) (Family Day) 4:05 p.m. LOSS
Sat, Oct 23 at Southern Utah * (Cedar City, Utah) 2 p.m. WIN
Sat, Oct 30 Northern Colorado (DakotaDome) 4:05 p.m. LOSS
Sat, Nov 6 Cal Poly * (DakotaDome) (Senior Day) 4:05 p.m. LOSS
Sat, Nov 13 at Lamar (Beaumont, Texas) WIN

I have them at six losses. Mediocre FCS football that are in the GREAT WEST conference, not even a real conference!

thanks for backing my point by displaying that a middling FCS team can compete with a middling BT team.

due to the scholarship rules designed by NCAA in the early 90's the goal was parity to drive interest in college football to all markets. mission accomplished.

thanks for backing my point by displaying that a middling FCS team can compete with a middling BT team.

due to the scholarship rules designed by NCAA in the early 90's the goal was parity to drive interest in college football to all markets. mission accomplished.

It's the truth. 9 out of 10 times a FBS team will (and should) beat any FCS team, but there are a select few (Montana, Appalachian State, Richmond) that can compete with LESSER teams in major conferences.

Will they beat Ohio State/Alabama? Of course not. Now someone like a Buffalo, Bowling Green, Washington State, or occasionally Minnesota can get beat.

I wonder if the change to win now means an end to "redhshirting" players. I cannot imagine coaches who have to produce results will be eager to remove talent from the field for a full year.

We didn't lose to a D-II school this year.

That statement is so clueless I don't even know where to begin.

USD was a division II school until 2004. Now they are in Div. I-AA, which does not make me feel any better about the loss.

The only people that are clueless are the ones who say that this team is improving. You have to be either blind or clueless to think that the product on the field is improving.

If Brewster wasn't on the hot seat do you think Weber would be starting, or would Gray be getting PT to be set up for success next year? Granted, every coach wants to win now, and it would unfair to the current players (particularly the seniors) to make 2010 a throwaway season. OTOH, we're a loss this Saturday from that being the case anyway.

USD was a division II school until 2004. Now they are in Div. I-AA, which does not make me feel any better about the loss.

The only people that are clueless are the ones who say that this team is improving. You have to be either blind or clueless to think that the product on the field is improving.

How long did Notre Dame keep Charlie Weis around when fans were screaming for his head?

USD was a division II school until 2004.

Actually, until 2008, but since you couldn't get it right the first time, I didn't have high expectations the second time, either.

I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with Notre Dame, Michigan, or USC, but the fact that you continue to equate Minnesota with any of them is hilarious.

I'm not exactly sure what that has to do with Notre Dame, Michigan, or USC, but the fact that you continue to equate Minnesota with any of them is hilarious.

This is the problem with the MN fanbase. Too many just accept and expect that we can never be as good as ND or Mich. and we should just accept mediocrity. It is even more disheartening to see that fans also think that we should not try and emulate other successful programs. I guess if you are willing to accept mediocrity then there is no point in discussing the improvement of this program with you because you have accepted that we can never be great. In which case, I can understand why you would want to keep Brewster. But if one is willing to think that we can be a great program than I do not see how one would want to keep going down this path with Brewster.

This is the problem with the MN fanbase. Too many just accept and expect that we can never be as good as ND or Mich. and we should just accept mediocrity.

Never said that.

What you're suggesting is that we act like them now, when we are not them. How can you not see that schools with huge football budgets and a history of winning something in the last 40 years have a greater margin for error than the University of Minnesota? They can offer $3-4 mil to the next proven coach in line to fix their recent mistakes. We can't.

It's akin to treating a med student like a doctor. Or a law student like a lawyer. Or an accused like a convicted criminal.

But if one is willing to think that we can be a great program than I do not see how one would want to keep going down this path with Brewster.

It has nothing to do with not striving for more. It has everything to do with seeing the success rate of coaching hires both here and elsewhere. We don't know for sure yet that Brewster can't get it done, and the likelihood is just as great, if not greater, that his successor will be worse than he is.

Top Bottom