Importance of Coaching Staff Continuity?

IMO it's really a continuity of scheme, development, coaching philosophy more than anything. If done right, Fleck should be able to plug and play coaches who match those.

Well said

I think it's important to have continuity as long as it's quality continuity. Kill's defensive staff pretty much got placed at good programs, as did Limegrover (although he's not the Penn State offensive coordinator). Claeys, Sawvel (although later fired), and Phelps are obviously quality coaches. Add to that, Sherels is probably an assistant at a good program if the health issues hadn't cropped up. But on the offensive side of things, outside of Limegrover, everyone else seemed to take a big step down. Not saying they don't know football and they can certainly work their way back up the ladder, but I did find it odd that they weren't in greater demand. I guess it is odd because college assistant coaches move around a ton, which makes it a really odd business to begin with.

I don't think Fleck is a Brewster in that I believe (at least on the offensive side of the ball), he knows what he wants to do so we won't see the spread, to something else, and yet something else. I expect there will be a further shake-up on the defensive side of the ball and I hope we can establish an identity (or at least learn the concept of contain).

Fleck had 5 assistants stay with him the entire four years at WMU with Simon joining for the last 3.
Pinkham DC
Ciarrocca OC
Callahan OL
Kenney
Wenger
Simon

Nichol S&C all 4 years.

So, 5 of the 9 assistants were with him the whole time. No changing whatsoever in the upper echelon.

Top Bottom