Im done with Matt Painter

I'm glad we're done with him! Hopefully they don't get nearly as good of a coach.

http://twitter.com/JayHulsey/statuses/52536760151965696

This kid tweeted back and said it was a lateral move (obviously) - when I said why would he leave then, he replied that Painter was not on good terms with the AD. Anyone have any insight into that?

Looking on the Purdue Rivals board, it may not be a done deal yet. It was reported to be done by the New York Daily News who then changed their story to he has been offered the job. Looks like he will probably end up at Mizzou but it may not be official yet. Either way, Painter is a heck of a coach and it will be a blow to the big ten if they don't get someone of significant quality to replace him. I feel bad for the Purdue fans. We all know how much coaching rumors suck.

This doesn't make any sense. Painter is a Purdue alum and that program is 100 times more prominent than Mizzou. Weird if it comes true.

I'm completely numb at this point. I'm pissed at hell, I just want to cry. I'm not mad at Painter, but I want to string Morgan Burke up by his big toes. Everybody seems to think that this has come down to the fact that Purdue isn't paying Painter what he should earn, along with the fact that the Purdue AD and Coach Painter have had a less than great relationship in the past.

Please somebody talk me off the ledge?

I'm completely numb at this point. I'm pissed at hell, I just want to cry. I'm not mad at Painter, but I want to string Morgan Burke up by his big toes. Everybody seems to think that this has come down to the fact that Purdue isn't paying Painter what he should earn, along with the fact that the Purdue AD and Coach Painter have had a less than great relationship in the past.

Sounds like it's Burke that needs to be talked to. Throw whatever Painter wants at him - why wouldn't you be proactive at that to begin with? He's a young, and extremely successful Coach. Common sense says he's going to be in high demand, so appreciate him!!!

Sounds like it's Burke that needs to be talked to. Throw whatever Painter wants at him - why wouldn't you be proactive at that to begin with? He's a young, and extremely successful Coach. Common sense says he's going to be in high demand, so appreciate him!!!

Every Purdue fan has been saying that for the past 2-3 days. In the past Burke, hasn't lowballed Painter but paid him way below market value. Now it's catching up Burke, right now I pretty sure at this point, Boilermakers everywhere would be okay with renaming the university to keep him around. We are in complete meltdown mode right now.

I can't believe that they wouldn't pay him what he's worth. Do they think someone better who is willing to work for peanuts is out there? You got a good coach, being known as a school that doesn't pay coaches has to hurt recruiting. As a player you have to know that at the first sign of success your coach is gone.

Every Purdue fan has been saying that for the past 2-3 days. In the past Burke, hasn't lowballed Painter but paid him way below market value. Now it's catching up Burke, right now I pretty sure at this point, Boilermakers everywhere would be okay with renaming the university to keep him around. We are in complete meltdown mode right now.

Painter's compensation package is definitely one of the issues but there's a lot more going on.

Painter is about the only coach in the B10 (besides Tubby) that I don't despise. At least the Purdue fans can comfort themselves in the knowledge that Painter will dump Misery in a heartbeat in a couple of years when some new/hot job opens up, and the Misery fans will feel just like you do now.

There...now don't you feel better? Crap. This probably doesn't help at all.

That sucks!

By the way, are their any high major Purdue recruits who have not signed their LOIs?
Would they be good fits for the Gophers? There are two ways off that ledge.

Just kidding. I really like Painter. A big PR campaign may get that AD to step-up and pay Painter market rate (at least).

Purdue and Missouri are eerily similar in terms of program strength.

Gene Keady and Norm Stewart have practically the exact same resume, the only difference is that Keady "retired" a few years later.

Obviously sounds like Painter and the A.D. weren't seeing eye to eye.

Missouri has a brand new arena, a long term history of success, a huge rivalry with KU and leans toward being a "basketball school." Painter could do a lot worse.

FoT said Matt Painter would be at Purdue for a long time. Can we unban him just to see him explain that one?

Gene Keady and Norm Stewart have practically the exact same resume, the only difference is that Keady "retired" a few years later.

Missouri has a brand new arena, a long term history of success, a huge rivalry with KU and leans toward being a "basketball school." Painter could do a lot worse.

I've been told Painter wants out because "West Laugh At It" is a dump and full of ugly women :)

Painter is about the only coach in the B10 (besides Tubby) that I don't despise. At least the Purdue fans can comfort themselves in the knowledge that Painter will dump Misery in a heartbeat in a couple of years when some new/hot job opens up, and the Misery fans will feel just like you do now.

There...now don't you feel better? Crap. This probably doesn't help at all.

I agree with this post, his teams play hard, physical basketball every night. He gets the most he can out of the talent he has. I think he is an aggressive recruiter, and a good coach. I hope Purdue does not lose him. I hope Bo Ryan gets hit by a truck, he is a good coach but an even bigger ass than Webber, who acts like the president of the audio visual club taking over a Big Ten baskeball team. But Painter is a good coach, and a reasonably normal person, rare these days. I hope I can look forward to seeing him at Purdue for a long time.

Going to missouri. feel bad for purdue, he was a damn good coach. but, as i said im done with him

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/missouri-tigers/2011/3/28/2077704/matt-painter-missouri-purdue
who knows man

If true, then this is a heck of a nice promotion for Painter. Better school, better basketball program, better state, better community....prolly a better compensation package....better all the way around.
He'd be crazy not to take the better opportunity at Mizzou.

I think this is not exactly correct. keady did not have NCAA issues while he was at Purdue, my recollection is that NS did while he was at Missouri.

If true, then this is a heck of a nice promotion for Painter. Better school, better basketball program, better state, better community....prolly a better compensation package....better all the way around.
He'd be crazy not to take the better opportunity at Mizzou.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm?

This doesn't make any sense. Painter is a Purdue alum and that program is 100 times more prominent than Mizzou. Weird if it comes true.

I've been thinking about this and trying to make sense of it. What I keep coming back to is the old saying, "People don't quit jobs; they quit bosses." As much as these guys seem bigger than life, it has to come down to a lot of the things us unwashed deal with. If you hate getting up in the morning and coming to work because of your boss (or whatever), a change is in order. No way Painter makes a decision like this without due consideration, prayer and probably a stretch of time where he hoped things would get better and didn't.

When I wonder what's wrong at Minnesota, I keep going back to this same idea. Joel strikes me as a guy that's tough to work for in more ways than one. In another post I recalled how miserable Monson was and how it might have affected his job performance as well as how miserable Tubby seems.

I've been thinking about this and trying to make sense of it. What I keep coming back to is the old saying, "People don't quit jobs; they quit bosses." As much as these guys seem bigger than life, it has to come down to a lot of the things us unwashed deal with. If you hate getting up in the morning and coming to work because of your boss (or whatever), a change is in order. No way Painter makes a decision like this without due consideration, prayer and probably a stretch of time where he hoped things would get better and didn't.

When I wonder what's wrong at Minnesota, I keep going back to this same idea. Joel strikes me as a guy that's tough to work for in more ways than one. In another post I recalled how miserable Monson was and how it might have affected his job performance as well as how miserable Tubby seems.
+1, great post.

Ron

I don't mean to hijack this thread but when did FoT get banned and what did he get banned for?

It seems like a couple weeks ago. My "guess", and it is only a guess, is it had to do with his continued unkind characterizations of union members. He brought his Off-Topic-Board verbage to the hoops side and his banning seemed to be around that moment.

Interesting letter from the Purdue Athletics Dept. to the Purdue Booster Club-don't know that pointing a finger at the boosters is going to do them any good:
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/20...er-to-john-purdue-club-matt-painter-missouri/

I have been a John Purdue Club member since the day I graduated (almost 12 years ago) and that letter was absolutely pathetic. What she fails to mention is that every single athletic scholarship for every single sport is paid for annually from John Purdue Club member donations. Not a single dime from taxpayers or the University's "General Fund". Do the math and you come out to about $10 million annually. On top of that, they are just about to finish several facility upgrades that total over $100 million and a majority of that was raised through private donations. She is way out of line with her comments and I hope she goes down with the administration if they let Coach Painter walk.

Purdue athletics has a lot riding on this decision by Coach Painter, if he leaves(God forbid) they are going to see fundraising dollars drop BIG time, and not major gifts, but annual memberships, etc. If Painter stays they are going to see a boost in donations, will it be enough to cover the extra cost for Coach Painter and his staff, I don't know. But what I do know is that Coach Painter decision is going to affect where I start donating money to when I graduate in May, no matter how little it is.

Top Bottom