I'm absolutely shocked at some of the reactions here

Ole

Reaction score
It's becoming more and more clear that there is a large portion of our fanbase that are either mentally ill, or have serious agendas against the current program.
Fire Brewster Now! are you fing kidding me? Why? Because he's headed towards a another middle of the road season? I'd really like to dig up some of the preseason predictions of the annoyingly vocal critics. You know who you are and have been quite proud of yourselves lately.
Go for it, if you think brew is gone after say a 6-6 season with wins against Ill and SDSU, what were your preseason predictions?

For those of you who want Weber benched and burned, and Gray to lead us to a miraculous 2009 NC
you should be especially ashamed. This kid has done nothing but put himself on the line for every game of his career. Fighting through injury after injury, leading young and talentless teams through the arguably the toughest years in the program's history. He's been humble, hard working, shows great determination and grit. Yet when there are 5 drops in the first half and blocking worthy of a bull fighter, all most of his toughest critics can point to is one bad throw on 3rd and 4. Wow. Congrats, you sure know football.

This program was gutted after the 06 season, due to years of rot and mismanagement at the hands of a egomaniac and his bobos. There is still no quality Jr Sr depth, little opportunity to RS and develop talent, few quality 4 or 5 year guys in the trenches.
You people pretend like this was a quality program when Brew took over, in fact, everything needed to be redone, HS coaches needed to be won over, younger fans and students needed to be brought into the fold. Recruiting needed to fill countless needs right away and down the road. Brew's done all these things very well, and the on field results will come.

For those of you predicting doom and gloom, screw you. Whoever posted 5-7 and 5-7 next year. Just quit. Give up on the program. We don't need you, want you, care about what you have to say, or give a damn how long you claim to have been a fan.

It's becoming more and more clear that there is a large portion of our fanbase that are either mentally ill, or have serious agendas against the current program.
Fire Brewster Now! are you fing kidding me? Why? Because he's headed towards a another middle of the road season? I'd really like to dig up some of the preseason predictions of the annoyingly vocal critics. You know who you are and have been quite proud of yourselves lately.
Go for it, if you think brew is gone after say a 6-6 season with wins against Ill and SDSU, what were your preseason predictions?

For those of you who want Weber benched and burned, and Gray to lead us to a miraculous 2009 NC
you should be especially ashamed. This kid has done nothing but put himself on the line for every game of his career. Fighting through injury after injury, leading young and talentless teams through the arguably the toughest years in the program's history. He's been humble, hard working, shows great determination and grit. Yet when there are 5 drops in the first half and blocking worthy of a bull fighter, all most of his toughest critics can point to is one bad throw on 3rd and 4. Wow. Congrats, you sure know football.

This program was gutted after the 06 season, due to years of rot and mismanagement at the hands of a egomaniac and his bobos. There is still no quality Jr Sr depth, little opportunity to RS and develop talent, few quality 4 or 5 year guys in the trenches.
You people pretend like this was a quality program when Brew took over, in fact, everything needed to be redone, HS coaches needed to be won over, younger fans and students needed to be brought into the fold. Recruiting needed to fill countless needs right away and down the road. Brew's done all these things very well, and the on field results will come.

For those of you predicting doom and gloom, screw you. Whoever posted 5-7 and 5-7 next year. Just quit. Give up on the program. We don't need you, want you, care about what you have to say, or give a damn how long you claim to have been a fan.

I'm glad to hear your OK with mediocrity. Where will that get you? This man (Brewster) has taken the program backwards since taking over THREE years ago. It's not the losses to OSU and Penn State that have angered fans on here, it's the way the Gophers have played in these games that has people infuriated. Minnesota doesn't even look like they belong on the same field as the Buckeyes and Lions. All people ask is for the program to remain competitive against the big boys, and that's hasn't even come to close to happening.

I'm glad to hear your OK with mediocrity. Where will that get you? This man (Brewster) has taken the program backwards since taking over THREE years ago. It's not the losses to OSU and Penn State that have angered fans on here, it's the way the Gophers have played in these games that has people infuriated. Minnesota doesn't even look like they belong on the same field as the Buckeyes and Lions. All people ask is for the program to remain competitive against the big boys, and that's hasn't even come to close to happening.
So because of two games that we had no business winning anyway you think he should be fired?

+1 :clap:

So because of two games that we had no business winning anyway you think he should be fired?
n
No, I understand Minnesota had no business winning those two games, but it's the way they looked against PSU and OSU that says a lot about Brewster's coaching style. Too many penalties, under-achieving "blue-chip" recruits and arguments with coaches. It was downright pathetic. Don't forget the troubling loss at home against the Badgers and the late-season collapse last season. His body of work is atrocious. The man is promising Rose Bowls and his teams don't even look like they belong on the same field as Penn State on Ohio State.

Clearly your 31 posts entitle you to be the voice of the people.

You probably want the same things others want, but it doesn't happen overnight. Rebuilding a program is a process and it takes some patience.

Turnovers and two blown plays in the secondary made the Ohio State score look less competitive than the game actually was. Our defense actually played very well against PSU (ask Michigan fans how they feel about giving up 35 points in Ann Arbor to an offense we held to 20 in Happy Valley the prior week) but their front 7 overpowered our OL.

Penn State and Ohio State are the two best DL's we will play all season (Iowa is the 3rd best) and they are a mismatch for every OL in the conference (with the possible excpetion of Iowa's OL which is a top 5-10 OL in the country).

The man is promising Rose Bowls and his teams don't even look like they belong on the same field as Penn State on Ohio State.
Because they don't.

Brewster probably overshat his own abilities by making such grand claims (an argument for another time), but not a soul on earth was going to take this team to the Rose Bowl in three years and anbody that believed that was a damn fool.

Mason had 10 years and the Gophers were never better than 4th in the conference. This is a bad program and it was been for 40 years. It takes time.

When during the Mason era did Minnesota ever look competitive with the Big Ten's very best teams? There was the win at Penn State in '99, the Lil' Brown Jug victory in '05, and a lot of ugly losses in between. Do any of you people remember what Mason Era defenses looked like? Because this and last year's Gopher D is exponentially better than anything Mason ever put on D. Michigan is a rebuilding team this year. Most people would agree that Michigan's Offense has been impressive while the D hasn't caught up yet. Yesterday Michigan got blasted by Penn State even worse than the Gophers. Does that mean Rich Rod should be fired immediately? Is the Gopher regression on offense troubling? Yes. But the truth is that the O line is still horrendous. Linemen take a couple years to develop. Brewster has basically had 2 recruiting classes. Next year his best linemen will be ready for prime time. The Gophers will take an enormous leap forward then.

Clearly your 31 posts entitle you to be the voice of the people.

You probably want the same things others want, but it doesn't happen overnight. Rebuilding a program is a process and it takes some patience.

Turnovers and two blown plays in the secondary made the Ohio State score look less competitive than the game actually was. Our defense actually played very well against PSU (ask Michigan fans how they feel about giving up 35 points in Ann Arbor to an offense we held to 20 in Happy Valley the prior week) but their front 7 overpowered our OL.

Penn State and Ohio State are the two best DL's we will play all season (Iowa is the 3rd best) and they are a mismatch for every OL in the conference (with the possible excpetion of Iowa's OL which is a top 5-10 OL in the country).

How long does it take then? You seem like someone who knows everything! Tell me one positive step Brewster has made since taking over?

Because they don't.

Brewster probably overshat his own abilities by making such grand claims (an argument for another time), but not a soul on earth was going to take this team to the Rose Bowl in three years and anbody that believed that was a damn fool.

Ron Zook?

Ron Zook?
The Illini team that Zook took over was a lot better than the one Brewster got. Not to mention it's a lot easier to recruit when Chicago is practically your home base.

Also probably not the best example considering the state of Illini football right now.

How many ugly/troubling losses is it going to take for people to understand that this coach is taking the program in the wrong direction?

What direction was the program going before?

The same direction it's going in now, which proves my point. Brewster has done NOTHING since taking over except beat horrible teams, lose to Minnesota's BIGGEST rival and embarrass himself against good teams.

The same direction it's going in now, which proves my point. Brewster has done NOTHING since taking over except beat horrible teams, lose to Minnesota's BIGGEST rival and embarrass himself against good teams.
Well besides bring in much better players and recruit at a national level.

And how long do you think a coach should have to turn around a program? What do you think should be done specifically that Brewster isn't doing? And don't give me *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# like "cut down on penalties." From a structural stand-point, from a play-calling standpoint, without 20-20 retrospective vision. What should they do once they fire Brewster to turn the program around?

It just amazes me how easy some of you think it is to turn around 40 years of sucking ass.

I didn't predict a top 3 finish, but as the super-recruiter began to get his frosh and soph classes on the field, I expected to see progress. They haven't competed with the good teams, and have appeared to lack discipline. We'll see, but he should be let go next year at this time if he isn't competitive against good teams. The "what did you expect, or what record did you predict" doesn't work here. If I was the AD at a Big Ten school, Indiana just moved ahead and now only Northwestern trails us in schools you prefer to schedule for homecoming. Right back to where we were prior to Mason.

Oh...so you actually don't have any real suggestions, just bitching. Typical Minnesota fan.

Well besides bring in much better players and recruit at a national level.

And how long do you think a coach should have to turn around a program? What do you think should be done specifically that Brewster isn't doing? And don't give me *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# like "cut down on penalties." From a structural stand-point, from a play-calling standpoint, without 20-20 retrospective vision. What should they do once they fire Brewster to turn the program around?

It just amazes me how easy some of you think it is to turn around 40 years of sucking ass.

Listen, if he is bringing such great classes, then why is the team still so horrible? I understand you are going to tell me that these recruits are still a year away from making an impact, but who on the bench is going to be a dynamic player some day? I don't think there is very many guys. Let's be honest.
And by the way, his latest class has exactly ONE four-star guy inked. That's not good....

1) The team isn't horrible, it's 4-4, we've beaten Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois, so I don't think we're the 10th best team in the Big Ten.

2) Ok let's be honest, you don't know *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# and just like to complain.

3) You're factually wrong on your last point as well, good job.

I officially resign from the arguing with bitchers team. It's not worth anyone's time. Brewster isn't getting fired so you're all just blowing hot air anyway. My ignore function is going into overdrive.

How long does it take then?

There is no defined period for how long it takes but as a point of reference:

Alvarez @ Wisconsin: 1990: 1-10 (0-8); 1991: 5-6 (2-6); 1992: 5-6 (3-5); 1993: 10-1-1 (6-1-1)
Barnett @ Northwestern: 1992: 3-8 (3-5); 1993: 2-9 (0-8); 1994: 3-7-1 (2-6); 1995: 10-2 (8-0)
Ferentz @ Iowa: 1999: 1-10 (0-8); 2000: 3-9 (3-5); 2001: 7-5 (4-4); 2002: 11-2 (8-0)

Outside of the Big Ten...
It took Frank Beamer 7 years to make a bowl game at Virginia Tech, his record was 24-40-2 heading in to his 7th season. It took Gary Pinkel 7 years to win the Big 12 North, he was 22-25 w/ 1 bowl game after 4 years. It took Mike Belotti 6 years to win a Pac 10 title at Oregon. Mike Leach & Texas Tech had a run of mediocrity (Minnesota-like bowl appearances) before closing out in the top 25 and a NYD bowl in Leach's 5th season at Texas Tech.

You seem like someone who knows everything!

Thanks for noticing.

Tell me one positive step Brewster has made since taking over?

-In case you haven't noticed our defense and special teams are much better today than they were when Brewster arrived.
-Improved academic performance from team--more players with a 3.0 GPA than any other Big Ten team this past year.
-The recruiting services seem to think we are recruiting a lot more talent than we were before his arrival--these players are still freshman and sophomores.

When during the Mason era did Minnesota ever look competitive with the Big Ten's very best teams? There was the win at Penn State in '99, the Lil' Brown Jug victory in '05, and a lot of ugly losses in between. Do any of you people remember what Mason Era defenses looked like? Because this and last year's Gopher D is exponentially better than anything Mason ever put on D. Michigan is a rebuilding team this year. Most people would agree that Michigan's Offense has been impressive while the D hasn't caught up yet. Yesterday Michigan got blasted by Penn State even worse than the Gophers. Does that mean Rich Rod should be fired immediately? Is the Gopher regression on offense troubling? Yes. But the truth is that the O line is still horrendous. Linemen take a couple years to develop. Brewster has basically had 2 recruiting classes. Next year his best linemen will be ready for prime time. The Gophers will take an enormous leap forward then.

Defense exponentially better? WTF are smoking?

Total Defense: 10th in the B10
Scoring Defense: 8th in the B10

How is that better?

The offense you ask?

Total Offense: 11th in the B10 (dead last by 50 ypg)
Scoring Offense: 10th in the B10

Please explain to me how this program is going in the right direction? Brewster took over a 6 win bowl team, not a 1-11 or 2-10 squad. If anything, he is barely treading water only because he was responsible for dragging the program into the abyss by going 1-11 his first year. That's what people forget around here, the only reason 7-5 looked so good last year was because Brewster effed around and went 1-11 the year before.

There is no defined period for how long it takes but as a point of reference:

Alvarez @ Wisconsin: 1990: 1-10 (0-8); 1991: 5-6 (2-6); 1992: 5-6 (3-5); 1993: 10-1-1 (6-1-1)
Barnett @ Northwestern: 1992: 3-8 (3-5); 1993: 2-9 (0-8); 1994: 3-7-1 (2-6); 1995: 10-2 (8-0)
Ferentz @ Iowa: 1999: 1-10 (0-8); 2000: 3-9 (3-5); 2001: 7-5 (4-4); 2002: 11-2 (8-0)

Again, how many of the coaches mentioned above took over a team that went bowling the year before? Who cares what crappy bowl it was, it just means the team was roughly .500 not a 1 or 2 win nightmare.

Nice post, Ole.

I remember the melt-down on the board in Mason's last year and the student section chanting "Fire Mason" during home games. At least folks were willing to give Mason time to display his coaching ability. The "3-years-and-out" folks would have been (or were) apoplectic in years 7, 8 and 9.

I'll be curious to see if the "3-years-and-out" folks are mirrored by the student section next Saturday and for the two other home games.

While I'm not a big fan of Brewster's style, I think most rational fans understand it's going to take more than three years to come to a conclusion. There's a number of folks who lurk here because they figure it's not worth the hassle to voice their opinion ... or realize the futility of thinking we're going to have any major influence on the decision.

I forgot, you're not allowed to voice your opinion on here without getting personally attacked, or the dreadful "ignored." Next time I'll just agree with everything people have to say and just go with the crowd, because that's what your supposed to do. This site it filled with bona-fide football experts! Go Gophers! Go Brewster! Go 6-6 seasons for a decade!!!!

Listen, if he is bringing such great classes, then why is the team still so horrible? I understand you are going to tell me that these recruits are still a year away from making an impact, but who on the bench is going to be a dynamic player some day? I don't think there is very many guys. Let's be honest.

How many programs win with freshman and sophomores? There are always the exceptions like Matt Barkley & Tate Forcier this year and AJ Green & Julio Jones last year that play prominent roles on good teams but they have a supporting cast around them that are juniors and seniors.

IMO--Gray looks like a dynamic player. Stoudermire has been a dynamic player on special teams and hopefully continues to have an expanded role as a WR. Brandon Green has been a clutch WR on third downs. Whaley looks like our best RB with the most explosivenss of anybody in the backfield. Up until this past week Bryant Allen has been limited to punt returns but he appeared at WR against OSU and caught a pass--I think he has a lot of potential but he is still a true freshman.

Defensively Kirksey is the real deal at DT--he forced the fumble that Triplett returned for a TD against Air Force--and I don't think Edwards & Kirksey at DT will be a drop off from Brown & Small. Cooper and Tinsley have both looked good at LB in somewhat limited action. True freshman Michael Carter is another player that I have high expectations for and with problems at CB over the course of the season he has seen more PT. There are other players being redshirted that I think could be very good as they add size (Kendall Gregory-McGhee, Matt Garin, Sam Maresh, Kenny Watkins, Kerry Lewis) but they obviously have yet to see the field.

And by the way, his latest class has exactly ONE four-star guy inked. That's not good....

Technically no players are "inked" at this point in recruiting becaise they can't do that until February. But we currently have 2 4-stars committed (Jimmy Gjere & Lamonte Edwards) and there will likely be more by February.

How many programs win with freshman and sophomores? There are always the exceptions like Matt Barkley & Tate Forcier this year and AJ Green & Julio Jones last year that play prominent roles on good teams but they have a supporting cast around them that are juniors and seniors.

IMO--Gray looks like a dynamic player. Stoudermire has been a dynamic player on special teams and hopefully continues to have an expanded role as a WR. Brandon Green has been a clutch WR on third downs. Whaley looks like our best RB with the most explosivenss of anybody in the backfield. Up until this past week Bryant Allen has been limited to punt returns but he appeared at WR against OSU and caught a pass--I think he has a lot of potential but he is still a true freshman.

Defensively Kirksey is the real deal at DT--he forced the fumble that Triplett returned for a TD against Air Force--and I don't think Edwards & Kirksey at DT will be a drop off from Brown & Small. Cooper and Tinsley have both looked good at LB in somewhat limited action. True freshman Michael Carter is another player that I have high expectations for and with problems at CB over the course of the season he has seen more PT. There are other players being redshirted that I think could be very good as they add size (Kendall Gregory-McGhee, Matt Garin, Sam Maresh, Kenny Watkins, Kerry Lewis) but they obviously have yet to see the field.

Technically no players are "inked" at this point in recruiting becaise they can't do that until February. But we currently have 2 4-stars committed (Jimmy Gjere & Lamonte Edwards) and there will likely be more by February.

I understand the process of recruiting. Sorry for saying "inked" instead of "verbally committed."

Top Bottom