Illinois vs Minnesota Resume

seli0046

Reaction score
Illinois RPI 72 SOS 80

Top 100 Wins-RPI 9 @Wisconsin (w/out Jon Leuer) 14 Michigan State (w/out Kalin Lucas), 18 Vanderbilt, 43 @Clemson, 66 Northwestern, 98 Wofford

Bad Losses- 112 vsBradley, 178 vsUtah

Lopsided losses- 13pts vsMissouri, 10 pts @Michigan State

Minnesota RPI 61 SOS 45

Top 100 Wins- 15 vsButler, 40 Ohio State, 66 Northwestern

Bad Losses- 223 @Indiana

Lopsided losses- 22pt @Ohio, 19 pts @ Purdue, 10 pts @Michigan State

We are really similar teams. However Illinois has had an easier schedule so far and Minnesota has had a tougher schedule. If we can win @Illinois I think the comittee would give us the nod over them, also in the big ten tournament I'm sure we'll have a good chance of matching up with them again since 3vs6 and 4vs5

I don't think they compare, Illinois' wins are much more favorable. I think the gophs can gain some ground on them, however, due to Illini's tough schedule coming, and gophers being home 4 out of the next 5. Our early losses to Portland and Miami are killing us.

The Road

Winning at Wisconsin and at Clemson are big IMO.

Our most notable road game is losing at Indiana. YUCK. :mad:

The remaining Big Ten schedule does give us some hope but the lads need to step it up. No one is going to help them into the tourney.

Beating the Illini on the road would be huge.

I don't really think they compare right now. The committee might knock down the MSU win a few notches because Lucas was absent, but Wisconsin has proven that they can be elite without Leuer. That was a great win.

The Gophers need to get a few signature (probably two - vs. Wisc, vs. Purdue, @Illinois, or a Friday game in the BTT) wins to have a chance. Also note that Illinois' RPI is going to rise after the win last night, and will probably keep rising for the rest of the season due to the tough schedule, even if they don't win most of them.

Illinois doesn't have a cupcake left on their schedule, they could theoretically loose every game hear on out. Their easiest game left is ironically probably @Illinois vs us.

Just looked at rpi's scouting report and they're suppose to win by 2 @Michigan and they're supposed to loose their other 5 games...

Despite the fact our RPIs (CollegeRPI.com) are very similar (Gophers #62, Illinois #65), respectfully I'd say it's not even close at this point.

Illini have 3 wins over teams in the top 25, Vanderbilt, Michigan State and (most importantly) a true road win @ Wisconsin. They also have an additional top-50 win (@ Clemson) vs. a team solidly in the mix for a NCAA bid. They are 6-6 vs. the top 100. They're tied for first in the league with 2 wins over the top half of the conference. The Illini have more than made up for their bad losses with the quality of their wins.

The Gophers have 1 top-25 win (Butler at a neutral site) and an additional top-50 win (Ohio State). They are 3-7 vs. the top 100. They're sixth in the league with only 1 win over the top half of the conference.

Not to mention, the Gophers' advantage in overall SOS is not that significant. ... Gophers at #45, Illinois at #71.

Perception-wise, the Gophs have 3 games left on their schedule that could truly grab the attention of the Selection Committee. ... Wisconsin, Purdue and @ Illinois. It would behoove the Gophers to win at least 2 of those 3. An argument could be made that if the Gophers were to win only 2 of those games, they'd be better off splitting with Bucky/Purdue at home, then winning @ Illinois. A true road win over a likely NCAA qualifier (ala Wisconsin last season) is what's clearly missing from the Gophers' resume to this point.

Yeah, CBS's RPI has Illinois at #59 after the update from last night (why do all these sites fail at consistently getting the same thing?). A road win over a good team will do ridiculous things for your RPI.

The other thing the Gophers have going against them is that there is a clear gap in the conference standings right now. It would be very easy to draw a line and take the teams above and leave out the teams below.

Sunday

Despite the fact our RPIs (CollegeRPI.com) are very similar (Gophers #62, Illinois #65), respectfully I'd say it's not even close at this point.

Illini have 3 wins over teams in the top 25, Vanderbilt, Michigan State and (most importantly) a true road win @ Wisconsin. They also have an additional top-50 win (@ Clemson) vs. a team solidly in the mix for a NCAA bid. They are 6-6 vs. the top 100. They're tied for first in the league with 2 wins over the top half of the conference. The Illini have more than made up for their bad losses with the quality of their wins.

The Gophers have 1 top-25 win (Butler at a neutral site) and an additional top-50 win (Ohio State). They are 3-7 vs. the top 100. They're sixth in the league with only 1 win over the top half of the conference.

Not to mention, the Gophers' advantage in overall SOS is not that significant. ... Gophers at #45, Illinois at #71.

Perception-wise, the Gophs have 3 games left on their schedule that could truly grab the attention of the Selection Committee. ... Wisconsin, Purdue and @ Illinois. It would behoove the Gophers to win at least 2 of those 3. An argument could be made that if the Gophers were to win only 2 of those games, they'd be better off splitting with Bucky/Purdue at home, then winning @ Illinois. A true road win over a likely NCAA qualifier (ala Wisconsin last season) is what's clearly missing from the Gophers' resume to this point.

Exactly. You hit the nail directly on the head. IMO.
:clap::clap::clap:

Agreed - Illinois is sure thing as one of 5 NCAA bids for Big 10. Gophers are contending for 6th bid.

FOT

FOT,

It would seem (to date) the 6th spot would most likely be the Gophers or Northwestern.

NW has road wins at Notre Dame, N.C. State. and Iowa State. They beat Purdue and Illinois. I see them as a problem for us.

What is your opinion? Is the Big Ten guaranteed 6 bids?

I am not yet convinced the Big Ten will get 6 this year.

FOT,

It would seem (to date) the 6th spot would most likely be the Gophers or Northwestern.

NW has road wins at Notre Dame, N.C. State. and Iowa State. They beat Purdue and Illinois. I see them as a problem for us.

Guaranteed, NO. Possible, yes. Gophers must W over Purdue and Wisky at home.

What an idiot!

FOT,

Boy is Iowa making me look like a moron! Beating the Cats by 18 with 5 minutes to go.

Just goes to show you. That's why we make them play the games I guess.

:)

Top Bottom