If we learn to close out games....

Sota1

Reaction score
We have played well enough to win most of the games we have played. Our closing skills have been the achilles for this team. Sports psychologist, voo doo doll, gut check.. Not sure what the answer is, but if we can harness this element we are tough. Every team is going to go on a run. Our ability to respond has been a bit questionable. Maybe it's the lack of a point guard or leader on the team. I think it's just a matter of buckling down on the defensive end. Illinois was looking only to shoot the 3 and we gave them many open looks. They would have shot the ball with a guy in their shorts in the last five minutes. What happened to the defense we were playing in the first half. We smothered their outside shooters and contested every look. That being said, it has been fun watching the team again. Tomorrow night is the next "big game". If we can win I think it will propel us into the big ten tournament for a great showing. Jackson commented on the team that we are one that could get through and win the whole thing (even playing 4 games).

I know it may be wishful thinking to look this far ahead, but if next year we bring in Cory Joseph to calmly run the point and close out games, Royce White (along with Cory) to create offense, Trevor Mbakwe to shore up our rebounding and Austin Hollins to add another shooting option with size off the bench.. we can be a very good team.

I know that other than Cory that was pretty much the plan for this year, but even with just one of Cory/Royce and getting Nolen back, we should be alright.

We've played some of our best ball this season when Westbrook has been riding the pine, so I'm much less concerned with replacing him after this season than I was last season when thinking ahead to 2011.

Losing Damian will suck though. I hope Rodney can get a little stronger, and improve his shooting ability in the same manner that DJ has been able to improve his.

Top Bottom