If Tubby goes to Auburn (which he won't) who would you like to see as coach?

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Let the discussion begin...

How about MSU Associate Head Coach Mark Montgomery.

I know he is a Spartan alum and would be hard to pry from Sparty, but who knows?

Tim Miles- Colorado State via NDSU. Up and coming coach (took CSU from 3wins to 16 this year with injuries and transfers).

Miles is on KFAN with PA all the time and its someone that recruits the area well and GUESS WHAT, HE WOULD NEVER LEAVE THE U OF MINNESOTA!!!

No particular order:
1. Laurence Frank
2. Vince Taylor
3. Tony Bennett
4. Mike Anderson
5. Tony Barbee

Flip's 55 and whether or not he's got the ability/fire to recruit the talent needed to compete is too big of an unknown

Tim Brewster. I hear that he's a heck of a recruiter. And it has the added benefit of getting his clammy paws off of that poor Gopher football team.

Ernie Kent? Steve Lavin?

Flip Saunders- Really unlikely, but a good option to entertain if we're in fantasy land.

Bob Knight- Similar to Flip, but even less likely in my opinion. I'm actually not so sure that we couldn't do better.

Brad Stevens- Butler's coach. Young, smart, etc. But Minnesota might not be too much of an upgrade in his mind.

Mark Few- Almost no chance, but he's definitely one of the best coaches in the country in my mind.

Other mid-major coaches who hit a hot streak during the tournament, etc, could also emerge.

But, like you mentioned, I think it's a pretty slim chance that Tubby leaves, and I am happy about that.

If Tubby goes to Auburn, step one is to fire Joel Maturi.

Brad Stevens is a great choice JD.

Yeah, Flip is pushing it, but you never know.

UNI's coach?

these guys are giving Kansas fits.

There is zero chance Tubby goes to Auburn, but I completely agree with this. Also, AkGopher great call with Lawrence Frank, he'd be an ideal candidate if he was interested in the college game (great x's and o's guy, only 40 years old, has to have some great contacts from his time in the NBA).

I wouldn't mind someone like Mark Montgomery either. The worst move Minnesota could make would be to hire some mid major coach with a slow down system who has no experience recruiting elite athletes.

TITCR. Maturi is not only regarded as the worst AD in the Big Ten, he might be the worst AD in the entire nation.

EDIT: Flip Saunders is the choice. I think he would take it.

TITCR. Maturi is not only regarded as the worst AD in the Big Ten, he might be the worst AD in the entire nation.

EDIT: Flip Saunders is the choice. I think he would take it.

I disagree on both accounts.

Say what you like about Maturi, but the new football stadium and Tubby's hiring are both big positives in his era, even if he was only mildly responsible for both. There's no way that he could be the worst AD in the country with both those accomplishments. He's not a good one in my opinion, but worst in the nation is a huge exaggeration.

If Flip had wanted the job, he'd have had it last time we had the opening. His son was on the team, he was in a questionable situation (Detroit, where they couldn't get over the hump, etc) and he completely denied us.

I heard Lickliter needs a job, plus with that we could probably acquire the superstar in the making, Little Lick.

I'd like Jay Wright or Tom Izzo, but I doubt we'll get either of them...

I think whomever we would get could do worse than hiring Trent Tucker as an assistant.

I think Lavin would be a great choice. Prior expeirence in the B10(former Purdue assistant) and head coach(at UCLA). He is youngish, knows the game, recuits would notice the name.

If Painter leaves Purdue(God forbid) he is my first call. None the less we would most likely go with Cunzo Martin for those who remember him.

For the Gopher's, Flip is the call. No doubt. Have McHale and Tucker come back as assistants. It would be a great setup. Easy marketing(Golden Gopher Basketball-Return to Glory with a big picture of the three of them standing on in the middle and big head shots of Kevin and Trent playing on either side), X's and O's wouldn't be a problem, would most likely need to go out and hire a "recuiter" due to the lack of overall recuit experience. Flip for sure.

I heard Lickliter needs a job, plus with that we could probably acquire the superstar in the making, Little Lick

Oh Man...Is there anyway we can get Little Lick without Big Lick? If CoJo does not commit to the Gophers we will need a PG of LL's caliber.

First call has to be to Flip. There's a chance he's looking to already get out that sour situation in Washington. He just might take it. If not, then, there are "power conference" guys who have succeeded that would take this job. I think those are who we look at. The list should include:

1) Scott Drew - Baylor...tireless recruiter who isn't afraid to ruffle feathers to get the job done. Pushes the envelope which could scare some. I frankly think we need that here. Minnesota could pay more than Baylor and is a better job than Baylor. It'd get him back to his midwestern roots, which includes recruiting hotbed Indiana.

2) Tony Bennett - Virginia...young, go-getter, excellent recruiter, great Xs and Os, plays a much faster style than his dad, total Big Ten guy. Would likely settle down and stay put here.

3) Mark Turgeon - Texas A&M...excellent coach, has done well at A&M. Big 8/Big 12 guy, though.

4) Craig Robinson - Oregon State...Obama's brother-in-law; late-bloomer coach, excellent recruiter with big ties to Chicago, wants to return to the midwest.

5) Kevin Stallings - Vanderbilt...a one-time Gopher commit as a player who instead went to Purdue. Would he now come to Minnesota? He's was a winner at his previous stop (Illinois State) and was an assistant at Kansas and Purdue.

Wild Card candidates (unlikely to happen):

1) Billy Gillespie (if he's on the wagon and clean, he can flat out coach)
2) Rich Majerus (will have St. Louis into the Big Dance next year)
3) Steve Lavin (big name, Big Ten ties, KNOWS the Big Ten, having basically gotten all the scoop from every coach for the past seven years as a TV guy)
4) Kevin McHale (was an NBA head coach, likable guy, may want to rebuild his image)

For whatever reason, I'm opposed to mid-major guys at this point. It is basically a 50-50 proposition with them...a coin flip as to whether they succeed or not. For those thinking Brad Stevens would be the guy, look up Barry Collier at Nebraska and Todd Lickliter at Iowa - the two long-term Butler coaches prior to Stevens. Thad Matta was there one year. He took the Xavier job then won the lottery and got the OSU job.

Rip away:)

For those thinking Brad Stevens would be the guy, look up Barry Collier at Nebraska and Todd Lickliter at Iowa - the two long-term Butler coaches prior to Stevens. Thad Matta was there one year. He won the lottery and got the OSU job.

I'm pretty sure Matta was at Xaiver for a year or two.

First call has to be to Flip. There's a chance he's looking to already get out that sour situation in Washington. He just might take it. If not, then, there are "power conference" guys who have succeeded that would take this job. I think those are who we look at. The list should include:

1) Scott Drew - Baylor...tireless recruiter who isn't afraid to ruffle feathers to get the job done. Pushes the envelope which could scare some. I frankly think we need that here. Minnesota could pay more than Baylor and is a better job than Baylor. It'd get him back to his midwestern roots, which includes recruiting hotbed Indiana.

2) Tony Bennett - Virginia...young, go-getter, excellent recruiter, great Xs and Os, plays a much faster style than his dad, total Big Ten guy. Would likely settle down and stay put here.

3) Mark Turgeon - Texas A&M...excellent coach, has done well at A&M.

4) Craig Robinson - Oregon State...Obama's brother-in-law; late-bloomer coach, excellent recruiter with big ties to Chicago, wants to return to the midwest.

5) Kevin Stallings - Vanderbilt...a one-time Gopher commit as a player who instead went to Purdue. Would he now come to Minnesota? He's was a winner at his previous stop (Illinois State) and was an assistant at Kansas.

3) Steve Lavin (big name, Big Ten ties, KNOWS the Big Ten, having basically gotten all the scoop from every coach for the past seven years as a TV guy)
4) Kevin McHale (was an NBA head coach, likable guy, may want to rebuild his image)

For whatever reason, I'm opposed to mid-major guys at this point. It is basically a 50-50 proposition with them...a coin flip as to whether they succeed or not. For those thinking Brad Stevens would be the guy, look up Barry Collier at Nebraska and Todd Lickliter at Iowa - the two long-term Butler coaches prior to Stevens. Thad Matta was there one year. He won the lottery and got the OSU job.

As much as Flip is the popular choice, I don't see him coming here for less money and having to recruit for the first time in about 25 years. I think the most likely candidates would be Tony Bennett, Scott Drew, Steve Lavin, Frank Martin. I don't see Mark Turgeon coming here, he is a big 12 guy and A&M could easily outpay anything Maturi would be willing to pay if it wanted to.

I'm pretty sure Matta was at Xaiver for a year or two.

Correct, it was three actually. I omitted that, but have added it for clarity for you. Not sure it is relevant to this discussion, however, as my point is the long-term Butler guys both went to high level jobs. Lickliter was fired fast, while Collier left before the posse got him in Lincoln. Matta was there one year, went up one rung to Xavier before getting a high level job.

I don't see Frank Martin leaving K State anytime soon. Personally I think, and I know it's WAY to early to think about this, but the Wildcats have a great chance to be the #1 at the beginning of next year(along with Purdue). Why would he leave Manhatten where he is the only game in town to MSP where is 3rd at best.

don't see Frank Martin leaving K State anytime soon. Personally I think, and I know it's WAY to early to think about this, but the Wildcats have a great chance to be the #1 at the beginning of next year(along with Purdue).

#1? Not a chance with Clemente being a senior this year.

I don't see Frank Martin leaving K State anytime soon. Personally I think, and I know it's WAY to early to think about this, but the Wildcats have a great chance to be the #1 at the beginning of next year(along with Purdue). Why would he leave Manhatten where he is the only game in town to MSP where is 3rd at best.

Martin re-upped at K-St this year (mid season). A friend of mine is his DBO.

3) Mark Turgeon - Texas A&M...excellent coach, has done well at A&M. Big 8/Big 12 guy, though.

5) Kevin Stallings - Vanderbilt...a one-time Gopher commit as a player who instead went to Purdue. Would he now come to Minnesota? He's was a winner at his previous stop (Illinois State) and was an assistant at Kansas and Purdue.

For whatever reason, I'm opposed to mid-major guys at this point. It is basically a 50-50 proposition with them...a coin flip as to whether they succeed or not. For those thinking Brad Stevens would be the guy, look up Barry Collier at Nebraska and Todd Lickliter at Iowa - the two long-term Butler coaches prior to Stevens. Thad Matta was there one year. He took the Xavier job then won the lottery and got the OSU job.

Stay away from Gillispie. He needs to coach somewhere out of the limelight for a while. He already failed once at succeeding Tubby.

Top Bottom