If the Gophers upset Cal?

froggopher

Reaction score
I am counting on a big upset this Saturday at the BANK!

My question is what will the Gophers possibly be ranked if they do win?:confused:
I would say #20?
Any takers on this one?

I would say, in the unlikely possibility we DO upset them, we'll be right around the #25 mark. Too many teams above us right now to jump supremely high.

We will absolutely be ranked if we beat Cal. Look at what Michigan did and tell me that would be more than our body of work after a Cal win.

We will absolutely be ranked if we beat Cal. Look at what Michigan did and tell me that would be more than our body of work after a Cal win.

But they are Michigan. You know?.....God's gift to football everywhere.

Yes, we will definitely ranked if we beat Cal, but I don't think it will be as high as 20. As for Michigan, once again Notre Dame was over rated to start the year and Michigan benefits from the win. Notre Dame has similar talent to Michigan, if not better, and they should have won against the freshman QB. I love Weiss in ND because I hate the domers. Let him completely ruin the program so we never have to see another Minnesota kid playing there. What they need to do is get their program in a conference and prepare for the season like everyone else, and then maybe they'll be able to compete for a full season.

I for one, hope that if we win, we are still not ranked. Thats what always happens, we have one big win toward the beginning of the year, become ranked, then fall apart....lets stay on the outside of the top 25 as long as possible, if we are 5-0 after just beating wisky, then I'll take a spot in the rankings.

The real question can the field be stormed if we pull off the upset? I didn't see too many places where the field can be jumped onto easily.

The real question can the field be stormed if we pull off the upset? I didn't see too many places where the field can be jumped onto easily.

There's gotta be a way, and I think an upset of Cal would qualify a storming of the field.

I would say, in the unlikely possibility we DO upset them, we'll be right around the #25 mark. Too many teams above us right now to jump supremely high.

I agree that our chances of pulling the upset are slim. But then again we are 2-0 and have yet to play a good game. Could this be the week??!!

First off, Cal is ranked #8.

Second, we're already receiving votes - albeit barely.

Third, Penn St is ranked 5th and put up 28 points and 316 yards hosting Syracuse. We put up 23 points and 360 yards at Syracuse. In other words, we played them about as well on paper and so even if a Cal win would be an upset, it wouldn't be a total fluke. We've shown worth elsewhere.

We'd easily be ranked with a win.

I hate to be a downer...but we're not as good as Penn State so there is no reason to compare the two teams, even on paper. Granted we are 2-0 and have had a few great wins, but the only logical way we crack the Top 25 is with a noticeable upset and some help from other teams. We have only 1 and 3 mentions respectively in the AP and Coaches polls so I doubt we hop that high. That saying, it'd be something if we could be going to northwestern with a 3-0 record.

I think beating the #7 team in the country and being undefeated would garner enough votes to get into that top 25 actually. Early in the year, there's always more movement than late. I think it would legitimize our record to most voters.

I think beating the #7 team in the country and being undefeated would garner enough votes to get into that top 25 actually. Early in the year, there's always more movement than late. I think it would legitimize our record to most voters.

How about beating the #8 team in the country and being undefeated? Would that garner the necessary attention and legitimize our record to the point of being in the top 25?

There's gotta be a way, and I think an upset of Cal would qualify a storming of the field.

While I agree that it would qualify a storming, I hope it doesnt happen. If we storm this week, there is a far less chance the security will let us storm to get a closer look at our axe.

Pandemonium.

Outside looking in on the rankings unless a few of the 20-25 teams lose.

First off, Cal is ranked #8.

Second, we're already receiving votes - albeit barely.

Third, Penn St is ranked 5th and put up 28 points and 316 yards hosting Syracuse. We put up 23 points and 360 yards at Syracuse. In other words, we played them about as well on paper and so even if a Cal win would be an upset, it wouldn't be a total fluke. We've shown worth elsewhere.

We'd easily be ranked with a win.

NOTE: Penn State was at home & we were on the road.......

This makes us look better on paper.......

slam dunk that if they win they will be ranked...where is Houston this week after the win in Stillwater? My guess would be in the range of 20-22.

NOTE: Penn State was at home & we were on the road.......

This makes us look better on paper.......

It took us overtime to beat Syracuse, who played a QB who hadn't played football in at least 4 yrs.

We won by 3... PSU won by 21... Are you saying that because PSU was home that explains the 18 point difference in our wins?

Even on paper that doesn't make us look better...

Cal upset!

I think the travel from the west coast and 2 different times zones may play some factors with the Cal players. Plus they did not play 2 great teams recently.
I think they will be looking past the Gophers.
I am still pulling for the chance of an upset!:clap:

Bears were heavily favored against Md Terps last year and lost big time. Score wasn't reflective of game. Md. shut down its offense when it got a big lead, allowing Bears to come back.

Bears have not traveled well, so your points are valid.

Bears have clobbered a bad Md team at home and stomped a decent 1-AA team whose coaching was good but clearly were overmatched physically. In other words, Bears not tested yet.

That said, there is a lot of talent on the Bears squad. Best is the real deal.

Hoping for a good game with no injuries.

By the way, you guys sound a lot like the Cal fans do on our chat board.

God, you guys sound just like Cal fans did not too long ago. Anyway, I don't know jack about your team but I do know Cal is loaded. Really, you don't know fast until you've seen Jahvid Best play. It isn't just his speed but his sudden speed. How quickly he can go from a stop to full throttle is silly. Everyone else just looks slow after you've watched him. The talent on offense is coming together with the passing game and the defense is, quite frankly, a beast. Cal should romp even if your kids play to the best of their ability. We remember our loss to MD last year so that accounts for Cal fans being cautious. What should happen doesn't always. Personally, I'd be ecstatic just to come out of there with a 1 point W. I've a feeling the Gophers will hang and Cal will pull away towards the end. Plenty of factors really are working against the Bears. Good luck.

I know I know...FCS opponent. But this is just to give you an idea of the speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr1iqKgeJCM

this will be interesting, no ones been able to run through our line, they usually have to go around. And then comes the LB's. This will be a great test.

It took us overtime to beat Syracuse, who played a QB who hadn't played football in at least 4 yrs.

We won by 3... PSU won by 21... Are you saying that because PSU was home that explains the 18 point difference in our wins?

Even on paper that doesn't make us look better...

We put up 20 points in regulation *ON THE ROAD*, Penn State put up 28 points *AT HOME*.......

Anybody watching the game knows we could've racked up 30+ PTS that day as could Penn State.......

Penn State also had the advantage of having Syracuse on FILM, we didn't.......

We put up 20 points in regulation *ON THE ROAD*, Penn State put up 28 points *AT HOME*.......

Anybody watching the game knows we could've racked up 30+ PTS that day as could Penn State.......

Penn State also had the advantage of having Syracuse on FILM, we didn't.......

We put up 14 points in the 1st half when we received the ball with a short field. Not sure what game you were watching, but we couldn't move the ball for crap. So I don't think you were watching the same game. Unless you are alluding to Syracuse's defense being beastly or something.

Now you are saying that having one (mediocore) game tape gave PSU an edge? Give me a break. Point is we are not as good (at least right now) as PSU.

Our offense isn't what is winning us games, it is the defense. We have like 3 offensive tds. And 2 came against SU with short fields. Come on now. Get real.

I think we have a slight chance at the upset as long as our offense can move the ball. I think this game is going to fall directly on Weber's shoulders. The past couple weeks, our drives have been ended short due to some VERY poor passes. I think that if he can make those short passes for first downs instead of throwing short which he has done a lot of, we will be able to put up some more points, and make this game competitive.

Really loving the defensive play as of now. Im not too worried about them as they impressed the hell out of me last week. Air Force was supposed to have a dynamic offense, and if you can look past a couple defensive flukes (punt return for td for example) we hold them closer to 14 points.

Top Bottom