IF Shanahan goes to Washington

monaco

Reaction score
does Jedd Fisch follow?

Thoughts? I didn't hear this straight from any reliable sources but it sure wouldn't surprise me. It's beginning to look more and more likely that Shanahan will go to Washington, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

That is what PA was saying on KFAN this morning. He said that it was from an unnamed reliable source.

He said that Shanahan was quietly building a staff and that Fish was on his short list.

Shanahan owes us one, hopefully he does take him back.

Problem is, who's out there that will come to Minnesota that's better than what we have? Doesn't seem like Brew has many great connections in the college coaching world, hence last years hire.

If Fisch does leave to join Shanahan, he can be replaced at the U of M by our consistently ever positive, enigmatic, energetic, reinforcing, man of GopherHole, the one, the only, Art Vandelay!

That is what PA was saying on KFAN this morning. He said that it was from an unnamed reliable source.

He said that Shanahan was quietly building a staff and that Fish was on his short list.

My first thought is PA's making this up. What reliable source could he possibly have? No one from the Gophers is going to give him the time of day, and I highly doubt he has any connections to Shanahan. I could be wrong, but it's more logical that he doesn't have a clue. Better yet, his reliable source is another media guy that's also making it up, kind of like the Kansas HC job.

I don't think giving Fisch one more year - just for stability's sake - would be the worst thing in the world. That being said, I wouldn't lose sleep over him leaving either.

Either way, Shanahan ain't winning in Washington.

does Jedd Fisch follow?

Thoughts? I didn't hear this straight from any reliable sources but it sure wouldn't surprise me. It's beginning to look more and more likely that Shanahan will go to Washington, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Fisch & Brew both! Shanny will bring them in to be in charge of towels and the locker room like they were in Denver.

I don't think giving Fisch one more year - just for stability's sake - would be the worst thing in the world. That being said, I wouldn't lose sleep over him leaving either.

Either way, Shanahan ain't winning in Washington.

Wanna bet? If Danny Snyder leaves him alone the way he did Joe Gibbs and opens the checkbook (no cap this year) I think they can win right away. I'm not sure if Jason Campbell is fixable, but the defense is already pretty good and Shanahan was and still is the Mastermind. As a Broncos fan I rue the day Pat Bowlen woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

It would be better if we didn't have another OC change, but it wouldn't have to be as devestating as we probably would strive to keep a similar scheme. It would be a closer change to the one between Roof and cos.

Wanna bet? If Danny Snyder leaves him alone the way he did Joe Gibbs and opens the checkbook (no cap this year) I think they can win right away. I'm not sure if Jason Campbell is fixable, but the defense is already pretty good and Shanahan was and still is the Mastermind. As a Broncos fan I rue the day Pat Bowlen woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

I agree, Pat Bowlen should have just taken away his front office responsibilities which he was not well suited for which very few can do both successfully.

My first thought is PA's making this up. What reliable source could he possibly have? No one from the Gophers is going to give him the time of day, and I highly doubt he has any connections to Shanahan. I could be wrong, but it's more logical that he doesn't have a clue. Better yet, his reliable source is another media guy that's also making it up, kind of like the Kansas HC job.

As someone who considers PA a very good friend, I feel I can refute what you write ... he knows lots of people, both through his KFAN/Vikings job and through his Canterbury job ... I have no idea whether this story will prove to be true, but to suggest that he doesn't have connections is wrong.

Who was making up the Kansas job stuff? Brewster didn't reach out to an agent in Tom Condon's St. Louis office, or have one of his Illinois friends do some snooping around?

As someone who considers PA a very good friend, I feel I can refute what you write ... he knows lots of people, both through his KFAN/Vikings job and through his Canterbury job ... I have no idea whether this story will prove to be true, but to suggest that he doesn't have connections is wrong.

Who was making up the Kansas job stuff? Brewster didn't reach out to an agent in Tom Condon's St. Louis office, or have one of his Illinois friends do some snooping around?

Doogie I think the poster was stating PA had very little to no contacts close to the Gophers or Shanahan. He probably does know quite a bit inside stuff about the Vikings and horse racing but to say he knows inside info on the Gophers or Shanahan is stretching it to say the least. His lack of knowledge/info on the Gophers is demonstrated basically every time he opens his mouth.

You mean the job your ESPN buddy said Brewster was a finalist for? You're right, those rumors were certainly true, funny that everybody from KFAN seems to always forget that "finalist" part!:drink:

Doogie I think the poster was stating PA had very little to no contacts close to the Gophers or Shanahan. He probably does know quite a bit inside stuff about the Vikings and horse racing but to say he knows inside info on the Gophers or Shanahan is stretching it to say the least. His lack of knowledge/info on the Gophers is demonstrated basically every time he opens his mouth.

Why does the source have to be the Gophers or Shanhan directly? Has PA ever spoken to Shanahan directly? Probably not. Does he know people at the Denver Post who probably would know about these things or perhaps Adam Schefter? He very well might.

PA could absolutely be correct. However, at this early stage he'd have to know someone in Shanahan's camp. It may be possible, but doesn't seem likely that he'd know someone well enough from that group.

As for the Kansas job, it's possible that some feelers went out from Brewster's camp, but after that the story took off with him being a final 5 candidate, which wasn't true.

The problem is of course that the local media is too interested in being the news so that they have lost all integrity. I don't trust a one of em. If news men don't have integrity and can't earn the trust of their audience then they have nothing.

Why does the source have to be the Gophers or Shanhan directly? Has PA ever spoken to Shanahan directly? Probably not. Does he know people at the Denver Post who probably would know about these things or perhaps Adam Schefter? He very well might.

Come on now. Why would somebody at the Denver Post, ESPN, or Adam Schefter give a rip at this point if Shanahan was going to potentially hire some underperforming OC from Minnesota as a position coach? Fisch certainly wouldn't be considered as his OC. I'm pretty sure their efforts are focused on whether or not Shanahan is taking the job or not. Their interest in who is going to be the position coaches for a yet-to-be-announced Redskins HC is probably less than zero. This is PA talking out of his ass (which is normally what he does when it comes to the Gophers).

You are right about his lack of attention paid to the Gophers. Between Canterbury and the Vikings, September is a tough month, then come Oct. he is generally flying with the Vikings at least twice during Gophers games. I think if they gave him more reason to care, he would find a way to DVR the games, etc.
Don't forget agent connections, horse racing connections, etc. Many people he knows know the right people, and in many cases, he knows the right people as well.

Come on now. Why would somebody at the Denver Post, ESPN, or Adam Schefter give a rip at this point if Shanahan was going to potentially hire some underperforming OC from Minnesota as a position coach? Fisch certainly wouldn't be considered as his OC. I'm pretty sure their efforts are focused on whether or not Shanahan is taking the job or not. Their interest in who is going to be the position coaches for a yet-to-be-announced Redskins HC is probably less than zero. This is PA talking out of his ass (which is normally what he does when it comes to the Gophers).

Would they be interested in it as in would they bother to report it? No. You're right it's not news to anyone outside of Minnesota. Would they be aware of it? Why not? If they've had a discussion with Shanahan, what makes you think the topic of his staff wouldn't be discussed even including Fisch? It takes 2 seconds to mention a name to Schefter or someone else. And another two seconds for them to mention it to PA. Don't be naive.

I'm fine with being corrected but horse racing connections? Really? What does that even mean? When I think of horse racing in Minnesota I think of lonely guys.

Would they be interested in it as in would they bother to report it? No. You're right it's not news to anyone outside of Minnesota. Would they be aware of it? Why not? If they've had a discussion with Shanahan, what makes you think the topic of his staff wouldn't be discussed even including Fisch? It takes 2 seconds to mention a name to Schefter or someone else. And another two seconds for them to mention it to PA. Don't be naive.

Sorry, I think your being naive to think they even care enough at this point to ask the question and to think Shanahan would tell them yet (if they even asked it). By the way, if they were to ask about possible assistants it wouldn't be "Hey, who's your next WR coach going to be?" it would be "Who are you thinking of for OC or DC?" and the way Shanahan operates he wouldn't tell them anything anyway.

P.A.'s connections and brain trust consists of "the common man"

If Shanihan comes calling for an experienced tight ends coach, does Maturi make said candidate buy out his remaining contract?

PA and Gopher football

You are right about his lack of attention paid to the Gophers. Between Canterbury and the Vikings, September is a tough month, then come Oct. he is generally flying with the Vikings at least twice during Gophers games. I think if they gave him more reason to care, he would find a way to DVR the games, etc.
Don't forget agent connections, horse racing connections, etc. Many people he knows know the right people, and in many cases, he knows the right people as well.

Doogie,

Therein lies my problem with PA in regard to Gopher football. He doesnt follow it, watch it, have any connection to it, probably reads almost everything he knows from the local papers; yet he passes himself off as some sort of authority on it. He's passing off opinion based off of what?

He spent a good 10 minutes yesterday talking about this and calling Brewster a "clomper", it think was the term he used. I actually understand this Fisch situation and could call this his connections a legitimate thing, but with almost everything else he does that is Gopher football related, he is uninformed and out of the loop, yet he passes himself off as an authority when he cant even find the time to DVR it.

Let me illustrate it another way. I havent watched a Wolves basketball game in 10 years. I do happen to catch a minute of it here or there on the local news. If i invested another 3 minutes a day in reading about them in the local paper and talked basketball with someone connected for 10 minutes a week i would be just about as informed about Wolves basketball as he is about Gopher football. That 30 mnutes a week would not make me an authority on Wolves basketball, nor should it make PA one on Gopher football.

PS- I actually like PA's program and listen to it about once a week on my way to work or doing errands.

Fisch is going to stay because his stock went drastically down after last season. If our offense does great things this year, then he'll be a hot commodity.

Only way Brewster would go with Shannahan is if he got fired. He makes too much money at MN to want to give up this job and be a tight end coach in the NFL.

PA is lazy

PA admits he did not watched half of the Gopher games because he was traveling with the Vikings. If I had his jobs, I would DVR all Gopher games. I can't believe KFAN doesn't get on him to watch games so he can make comments.

Today PA previewed the MN/Purdue basketball game by reading off stats about Purdue. I can guarantee you PA hasn't watched Purdue play more than one game (if that) so far this year and maybe 1/3 of the MN games. He needs "experts" to come on his show because the only sports he follows are the NFL & NBA. PA either gets his Brewster opinions from others or they are negative because the program won't give him the time of day.

It doesn't take much of an insider to deduce that Shanahan may wish to rehire his WR coach if he gets another HC job.

Top Bottom