If Rutgers left the B1G, who would you like to see replace them?

The NYC market cares very little about college football. Rutgers adds little value there. NYC is mainly a pro sports market.

This article explains it champ-

You don’t understand how it functions regarding cable systems - with Rutgers being in the B10 there is a reason for them to carry the B10 Network, without it no need. That means you’re in the largest media market in the country, so more revenue, same reason Maryland was added for the DC media market.

You’re welcome and I live in NYC 😉.

Last edited:

Bring in Pitt and Syracuse, get rid of Maryland and Rutgers. They don't fit the ACC, they are more B1G.
Among schools outside the Big Ten West, I believe Pitt is the college football program most similar to Minnesota. They have similar historical and recent trajectories and both are strongly influenced by their urban environment in a NFL city.

If Rutgers leaves I'd prefer we didn't add DIII Chicago unless they get the name Maroons back.

Seriously, I'd prefer if we then gave Maryland, Nebraska, Penn State and Michigan State the boot and played an 8 game round robin for the conference.

Among schools outside the Big Ten West, I believe Pitt is the college football program most similar to Minnesota. They have similar historical and recent trajectories and both are strongly influenced by their urban environment in a NFL city.
They also foolishly got rid of their campus stadium

This article explains it champ-

You don’t understand how it functions regarding cable systems - with Rutgers being in the B10 there is a reason for them to carry the B10 Network, without it no need. That means you’re in the largest media market in the country, so more revenue, same reason Maryland was added for the DC media market.

You’re welcome and I live in NYC 😉.
Heard this argument ever since Rutgers joined. And I can certainly see the logic - I would be curious to know how much additional BTN (thus B1G) revenue we are talking about.

And yes, there are a lot of B1G alumni in NYC who welcome BTN. But as other people have said, there is very little local interest in college sports in NYC (except perhaps St. John's basketball). In fact, outside of Syracuse, there is very little interest in college sports in the entire state.

Heard this argument ever since Rutgers joined. And I can certainly see the logic - I would be curious to know how much additional BTN (thus B1G) revenue we are talking about.

And yes, there are a lot of B1G alumni in NYC who welcome BTN. But as other people have said, there is very little local interest in college sports in NYC (except perhaps St. John's basketball). In fact, outside of Syracuse, there is very little interest in college sports in the entire state.
Did you read the article? There are some numbers in there.
Do you understand the concept of how this generates more revenue?

I would assume the people who made that decision know a hell of a lot more abo it than u, I or anyone else on an anonymous chat board 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

If you want to dispute it then feel free to provide subjective info/data which does.
Feel free to do your own research.

I’ve lived in NYC for 25 years. So I don’t need you to NYCexplain s ports to me.

Last edited:

St. Thomas! Crosstown rivalry!
I was going to say Augsburg so SON and I could get discount alumni tickets.

Seriously, I think everything is going to be in flux over the next decade. I'm still somewhat convinced that we are going to end up with four 16-team geographically defined Super Conferences that will complement the national championship framework.

UND....dynasty in football, great hockey.

Rutgers will never leave the money this conference provides, as well as the academic consortium. These are what makes the league so attractive and almost impossible to leave.

Chicago, I believe, is still a member....they just don't participate in the athletics part of it. They are D3 in sports.

Things go in circles, and right now the trend is for super conferences. In 10-15 years there will be pressures to de-centralize and the wheel goes round.

The reason why the Maroon left are reasons they choose to stick with. They decided to become a university for the "academic elite" and all else became secondary. They had no problem splitting the atom right there on campus, in fact. That doesn't mesh in a conference like this one, where numbers matter.

Would I be happy to see the Maroon back in the league if they chose to do so? Heck yeah! That said, to see them play you need to check out their D3 games.

I'm not into all the "nationalization of conferences", but nobody wants a dissertation as to why. I prefer a replacement that has something geographically and culturally in common with the league as a whole. If I had to guess a school, mine would be Pittsburgh. It would reignite the Penn State-Pitt rivalry and would stay inside PSU's location in the east. Iowa State might be a second guess.

There isn't a MAC school that jumps out as being obvious. Any FCS school would need time to grow yet. Minnesota State seems unwilling to make any upward motions, and St. Thomas would have to leapfrog several schools that have more to offer.

Johns Hopkins University
Why not? They're already a conference member in lacrosse.
Plus, they've won football conference titles in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2021.
And they would bring in the much coveted Baltimore TV market.

So are you just throwing out a totally random hypothetical or has there been some talk about Rutgers trying to leave the Big Ten?
This is still more logical than the OPs relegation/promotion thread.

Maybe Rutgers will walk away from incredibly lucrative tv deals to join a conference like the ACC.

You’d never want to lose Rutgers because it is the access point to the NYC media market, lots of eyeballs = ad revenue.

Chicago is a academic institution that doesn’t care about collegiate sports
As a genuine question, has it been shown that Rutgers gave us NY audience/media that we didn’t have before? I’d presume we’d still be playing BTN there and that the market for big ten media still exists there. Don’t know how “big” the actual Rutgers following is and if it raises the stakes any more to show them vs showing whoever else on BTN

Mn should just swap leagues with Syracuse.

As a genuine question, has it been shown that Rutgers gave us NY audience/media that we didn’t have before? I’d presume we’d still be playing BTN there and that the market for big ten media still exists there. Don’t know how “big” the actual Rutgers following is and if it raises the stakes any more to show them vs showing whoever else on BTN
BTN is on the basic cable packages in the New York area which commands a much higher fee than being on expanded packages.
That used to be worth a ton.
With cord cutting maybe worth slightly less.

I would guess they still bring millions of extra revenue. I think the national packages are so big now that the BTN subscriber fees keep becoming less and less as a % of total revenue.

Last edited:

As a follow up to @Some guy excellent post

When MD and Rutgers were added in 2014, streaming services was in its infancy and of course that deal was worked on long before 2014.

Brand wise - that kind of exposure elevates the B10 and gives it more prestige; say what you will about the commissioners, they have maximized revenue generation for the conference and their membership.

This article explains the thought process of why they were added ( if they weren’t added to make more money than why add them at all?)-

I am a 62-year old cranky old man, at least some of the time. I liked the Big Ten when it has 10 teams. I've had to spend some time at Nebraska campus for business-related reasons. A big Unviersity, and a fun place to visit (good fans!) but it still doesn't feel like a Big Ten school.
Their fight song mentions beating Colorado too!

They also foolishly got rid of their campus stadium
That stadium was about to be condemned, it was falling apart, but I agree they needed to replace it. Their campus has the same space and bad parking situations as the U.

That stadium was about to be condemned, it was falling apart, but I agree they needed to replace it. Their campus has the same space and bad parking situations as the U.
They also share a practice facility with the Steelers, which is also off-campus (in South Side, I believe).

The bball arena they built in its place is very nice.

If Rutgers leaves the Big Ten it would only prove they were so stupid they never belonged.

Top Bottom