If Rutgers left the B1G, who would you like to see replace them?

toma0045

Reaction score
I would love to see the return of the University of Chicago. Chicago would love them. Potential for great rivalries, and you’re bringing back a team with more outright B1G football titles than Iowa. What’s not to love? It’s time to see the original monsters of the midway in the B1G.

I would love to see the return of the University of Chicago. Chicago would love them. Potential for great rivalries, and you’re bringing back a team with more outright B1G football titles than Iowa. What’s not to love? It’s time to see the original monsters of the midway in the B1G.
They play division 3 in the few sports that they have. This just isn't going to happen.

I would like to see Missouri, Kansas, or Vanderbilt join the big ten. Reasonable distance road trip in slightly warmer locations.

You’d never want to lose Rutgers because it is the access point to the NYC media market, lots of eyeballs = ad revenue.

Chicago is a academic institution that doesn’t care about collegiate sports

Wyoming Cowboys! The world needs more Cowboys!

I'd appreciate even more creative expansion, ITT Tech or National American University.

If I became Pope of Rome could I also be Speaker of the House of Representatives?
Yes, but very, very unlikely that either would happen.

Since this thread is make believe, I will answer with Virginia, who also magically decided to leave and threatened to sue the ACC to be released early from the GoR.

Since make-believe GT...

They have a new coach that is set on beating UGA every year. Reasoning is with that goal certainly they'll beat 4 or 5 other teams along the way...:p

Gotta admire the spunk with that as a program goal...

Needs to get a shard of Hedges and grow it in the locker room...

Since make-believe GT...

They have a new coach that is set on beating UGA every year. Reasoning is with that goal certainly they'll beat 4 or 5 other teams along the way...:p

Gotta admire the spunk with that as a program goal...

Needs to get a shard of Hedges and grow it in the locker room...
I'd add Georgia Tech and University of Florida. Both are high quality AAU institutions. Fit the B1G academically and prestige-wise. Put you right into the heart of SEC Country, and right into two big-population states brimming with HS football talent. Plus Atlanta TV market.

Not sure Rutgers would leave at this point considering how conference realignment is going. I think the following schools all would have been better additions than Maryland and Rutgers, though:
  • Iowa State, built in rivals with Iowa, potential rivalry with Minnesota, pretty good basketball program
  • Kansas, blue blood basketball program and a Midwestern school
  • Kansas State, good football program and another Midwestern school
  • Notre Dame, built in rivalries with Michigan and Michigan State, as well as Indiana and Purdue, blue blood football program, hockey team already in the Big Ten
  • Pittsburgh, built in rivalry with Penn State, geographically fits with the existing Big Ten footprint.

Right, Rutgers is the media darling of new york
You’re missing the point bro.
The cable systems which operate in NYC carry the B10 Network because of Rutgers, that’s why they were added to the B10 in the first place, to provide an access point to the greater NYC market; just as USC and UCLA will do for LA.
♟️ not checkers.

Last edited:

Bring in Pitt and Syracuse, get rid of Maryland and Rutgers. They don't fit the ACC, they are more B1G.
I would like to see Pitt and Syracuse in Big 10 (20) Get and even split of 20 to keep divisions. Those schools make sense athletically and for regional rivalries.

I am a 62-year old cranky old man, at least some of the time. I liked the Big Ten when it has 10 teams. I've had to spend some time at Nebraska campus for business-related reasons. A big Unviersity, and a fun place to visit (good fans!) but it still doesn't feel like a Big Ten school.

You’d never want to lose Rutgers because it is the access point to the NYC media market, lots of eyeballs = ad revenue.

Chicago is a academic institution that doesn’t care about collegiate sports
The NYC market cares very little about college football. Rutgers adds little value there. NYC is mainly a pro sports market.

Top Bottom