If Big Ten Tournament was held today. ...

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Weakling Wednesday (March 13)
#12 Rutgers (3-7) vs. #13 Ohio State (3-8)
#11 Iowa (5-6) vs. #14 Michigan (2-9)

2nd Round (March 14)
#8 Indiana (5-6) vs. #9 Maryland (5-6)
#5 Michigan State (6-5) vs. Rutgers/Ohio State winner
#7 Nebraska (6-6) vs. #10 Penn State (5-6)
#6 GOPHERS (5-5) vs. Iowa/Michigan winner

Quarterfinals (March 15)
#1 Purdue (10-2) vs. Indiana/Maryland winner
#4 Northwestern (6-5) vs. Michigan State/Rutgers/Ohio State winner
#2 Wisconsin (8-3) vs. Nebraska/Penn State winner
#3 Illinois (8-3) vs. GOPHERS/Iowa/Michigan winner

2nd Round (March 14)

Quarterfinals (March 15)
Excuse me sir, what is this Weakling Wednesday thingie you refer to?

My team doesn’t deign to dine there.

Feel pretty certain OSU, Michigan and Rutgers will end up in WW. Much like it's an 8 team battle for the double bye, it's an 8 team battle to avoid WW. If we get to 9 conference wins, I feel pretty good about avoiding WW. With home games against OSU, Rutgers, IU and PSU, we should get there.

Feel pretty certain OSU, Michigan and Rutgers will end up in WW. Much like it's an 8 team battle for the double bye, it's an 8 team battle to avoid WW. If we get to 9 conference wins, I feel pretty good about avoiding WW. With home games against OSU, Rutgers, IU and PSU, we should get there.
Hold serve at home.

Missing WW would be such a refreshing change! Ski-u-mah!
For sure, that would be a nice start to Big Ten Tournament week!

As a refresher, Weakling Wednesday appearances at the Big Ten Tournament since the conference expanded to 14 teams in 2014-15:

Nebraska 8
Minnesota 7
Rutgers 5
Northwestern 4
Penn State 4
Illinois 3
Ohio State 2
Indiana 1
Iowa 1
Wisconsin 1

Not sure that "like" is the correct response here, but is an interesting stat you posted, SS!

I am not sure how we will do this week in our games against Sparty or against Herky, but I sure find myself looking forward to this week! It has been awhile since I got this anticipatory......

2nd Round (March 14)

Quarterfinals (March 15)

If the records are distributed the same way after 20 games, I think I'd rather be 5th or 7th than 6th! If we get there, I don't like that quarterfinal game.

Ohio State and Michigan just blow me away with how they've underperformed. I wonder if they'll still figure some things out and rise a little.
My worry too, especially Suckeyes. I think Michigan is a dysfunctional mess and rolling over and dying. Ohio State not as much. Just on raw talent, they could run off five or six in a row.

Last edited:

Not sure that "like" is the correct response here, but is an interesting stat you posted, SS!

I am not sure how we will do this week in our games against Sparty or against Herky, but I sure find myself looking forward to this week! It has been awhile since I got this anticipatory......
These are the kind of weeks that have brought consistent heartbreak for most of my life. I’m in the I’ll believe when I see category.

My worry too, especially Suckeyes. I think Michigan is a dysfunctional mess and rolling over and dying. Ohio State not as much. Just on raw talent, they could run off five or six in a row.
I'd bet on OSU before Michigan too, if either of them has a turnaround, although it's probably unlikely for both. Michigan's next six games are Wisconsin/at Nebraska/at Illinois/Michigan St/at Northwestern/Purdue. Hard to see them winning more than one of those (or even any of those).

OSU has their last good chance to get right here with a two game home stretch of Indiana and Maryland, before they hit at Wisconsin/Purdue/at us/at Michigan St.

These are the kind of weeks that have brought consistent heartbreak for most of my life. I’m in the I’ll believe when I see category.
I hear ya', Holy Man.

This is another one of those games where the Gophers have a chance to really turn a corner with the casual fans. They've piqued some interest from those folks, getting talked about a little bit (in a good way), and there's a sense of some momentum.

What scares me is these are the games the Gophers usually (wet) the bed. Get people talking about 'em & then. ... thunderous thud and/or a gut-wrenching loss (see previous Badger game).

It's a golden opportunity to start changing the narrative tomorrow night. I'd even be OK with a court storm even though by their standards this is a pedestrian Spartan squad.

I hear ya', Holy Man.

This is another one of those games where the Gophers have a chance to really turn a corner with the casual fans. They've piqued some interest from those folks, getting talked about a little bit (in a good way), and there's a sense of some momentum.

What scares me is these are the games the Gophers usually (wet) the bed. Get people talking about 'em & then. ... thunderous thud and/or a gut-wrenching loss (see previous Badger game).

It's a golden opportunity to start changing the narrative tomorrow night. I'd even be OK with a court storm even though by their standards this is a pedestrian Spartan squad.
We haven't had a really good bedwetting opportunity for a number of years though- so maybe things have changed!

I hear ya', Holy Man.

Please god, no.

Updated through Feb. 9:

#12 Rutgers (4-7) vs. #13 Michigan (3-9)
#11 Iowa (5-7) vs. #14 Ohio State (3-9)

2nd Round (March 14)
#8 Indiana (6-6) vs. #9 Nebraska (6-7)
#5 GOPHERS (6-5) vs. Rutgers/Michigan winner
#7 Penn State (6-6) vs. #10 Maryland (5-7)
#6 Michigan State (6-6) vs. Iowa/Ohio State winner

Quarterfinals (March 15)
#1 Purdue (10-2) vs. Indiana/Nebraska winner
#4 Northwestern (7-5) vs. GOPHERS/Rutgers/Michigan winner
#2 Illinois (8-3) vs. Penn State/Maryland winner
#3 Wisconsin (8-4) vs. Michigan State/Iowa/Ohio State winner

Updated through Feb. 9:

2nd Round (March 14)

Quarterfinals (March 15)

This definitely is a better scenario that last week's. No Illinois in the quarterfinal.

Updated through Feb. 9:

2nd Round (March 14)

Quarterfinals (March 15)
Crazy how much jumble we have in the middle of the league.

Looks like a bunch of teams will finish between 9 and 11 wins

Welcome to the world of 14-18 teams with unbalanced scheduling.

Big12 is crazier. BE is nuts too and has 11 team round Robin.

Parity in the middle is a thing. That’s why the bubble is also huge.

Crazy how much jumble we have in the middle of the league.

Looks like a bunch of teams will finish between 9 and 11 wins
That is exactly what happened last year and looks destined to happen again this year. The good news is that we are right in the thick of that jumble this year whereas last year we were stuck looking up from the bottom.

As a bubble team, wouldn’t we rather play more good teams?
Right now, the Gophers are not even nearly on the Bubble so I would prefer the easiest path to winning the event or at least getting to the Championship to be a Bubble Team.

Obviously that is subject to change based on future results.

If we are thinking about making a run, I assume people think we we will our way into the bubble the next few weeks here

Top Bottom