If Alipate is serious about being a college quarterback

Doc1001

Reaction score
wouldnt he have lost about 25 pounds by now instead of 5? If I am wrong straighten me out.

You are correct, after all you are a Doctor. He would have met with the coach, given goals for the fall. I would imagine he failed to meet the goal for weight, and therefore he is 4th or 5th on the Depth Chart. His next option is to try to play H back or TE if he wants to retain his scholarship. The QB gig is over.

Or maybe he wants to be Alex Moran from Blue Mt State...

Seems like he has some athletic ability and could possibly make the position move. But then changing from QB to H-back at the D1 level is one big change.

I think he's likely got better transition potential at TE or DE.

wouldnt he have lost about 25 pounds by now instead of 5? If I am wrong straighten me out.

A guy in his position is going to have a pretty tough time shedding weight. I think this is probably a better conversation to be having next spring. If he still hasn't lost a significant amount of weight, then I thikn the question is apt.

I know it sounds easy, but losing 25 lbs for a football player in a couple months is pretty tough. He is also lifting to get stronger, etc.

That said, I think there is a pretty good chance you see him play some TE as well (he has been catching balls after practice). I don't think he'll transfer and we won't pull his scholarship.

Hopefully next year, at this time, he is weighing 245-250.

I know it sounds easy, but losing 25 lbs for a football player in a couple months is pretty tough. He is also lifting to get stronger, etc.

It should be easy for a guy as big as Alipate to lose 25 lbs. It's not like he's all muscle. Just lay off the junk, train hard, and the 25lbs of fat should come off in 2-3 months. He has tons of resources to use to gain the physique he needs to be a QB.

And if an athlete is just training for strength, he's not going to get bigger on a linear basis. Google "hypertrophy." He may get a little bigger, but you can be super strong without getting super huge.

I couldn't care less what weight a player is. Especially one who is currently not even on the depth chart.

You guys are pretty damn funny.

It sounds like he did some weight training, probably nothing as far as arobic activity is concerned, and ate what he wanted. Twenty five pounds at that age should be doable by the end of October. The problem is you get one chance and it may be over tommorow, I'm afraid it might have already passed him by.

Pleeeeeeeeeease don't take this the wrong way, but is Alipate Polynesian/ Islander? If so, maybe he's also fighting some hereditary tendencies. Just throwing it out there Either way, I hope he finds some way to contribute.

Pleeeeeeeeeease don't take this the wrong way, but is Alipate Polynesian/ Islander? If so, maybe he's also fighting some hereditary tendencies. Just throwing it out there Either way, I hope he finds some way to contribute.

I've said the same thing for the past couple years, Pacific Islanders are big people, not easy for many to lose weight. When I look at Moses he reminds me physically of Ben Rothlisberger, big, but mobile for his size. That said, we're not the Steelers & if he can't get his weight under 275, maybe it's time for him to volunteer for a position change?

It should be easy for a guy as big as Alipate to lose 25 lbs. It's not like he's all muscle. Just lay off the junk, train hard, and the 25lbs of fat should come off in 2-3 months. He has tons of resources to use to gain the physique he needs to be a QB.

And if an athlete is just training for strength, he's not going to get bigger on a linear basis. Google "hypertrophy." He may get a little bigger, but you can be super strong without getting super huge.

I'm not saying that I didn't expect slightly more weight to come off of Moses. It was also reported that he was 268 arond the end of camp (from the daily gopher), so if he is gaining weight, it is obviously a terrible trend.

I guess my point is that it's hard to use "weight" to determine how much leaner a kid is getting when he is young and overweight and is trying to lose weight and get stronger at the same time.

When I was in college (doing the same exact thing), my weight went up and down like a rollercoaster at the begining.

I guess my point was more to look at where Moses is by next spring or winter workouts and he should be around 250. That's the time it should really show as his added muscle is revving up his metabolism and the weight really starts dropping (assuming he is doing the right things). If he is still over 250 next spring, he isn't doing things right.

I would say any race has hereditary tendencies. I can't speak to if it runs in his family, but his younger brother is a twig.

Top Bottom