Idaho HS team quitting because they don’t like the coach

I guess the only thing I don't necessarily agree with is the idea that this could only have happened in today's world/with today's youth.
Agree to a point but I do think the overall behavior of parents especially has gotten worse over time. The referee shortage has been getting worse and worse as more and more officials walk away from it due to not wanting to put up with the abuse anymore.

The money in sports has caused a lot of this because there are still so many parents out there that truly believe their kid is destined for stardom and can't understand that only a super small percentage of players actually make it and that their kid is almost certainly not going to be one of them.

Youth sports should be about fun, but a lot of that fun has been stripped away and it is a real shame. And the issue is the parents more than anything else.

Imagine being a sophomore/ Junior on the JV team. I would be so pumped. I wouldn’t even care if we got ran out of the gym.

I saw those types of parents in both my son's and daughter's junior high and high school games. Nothing has changed. I ran into parents behaving badly every so often.

I felt sorry for a kid on my daughter's junior high volleyball team when her parents confronted and screamed at a young volunteer referee about a foul call. They were told to leave by an older official with the daughter in tears.

"... it kinda stems from the parents.."

Based on the former assistants comments it definitely seems like there may be a lot of frustration about this head coach. But refusing to play until the coach is fired in high school based on what these guys are complaining about is just stupid.

The one players comments about switching up play calls during a game being an issue is just laughable. We scored a few points running a particular play....we should just keep running it...no way the other team will ever make an adjustment.

I hope the school doesn't cave, keep the coach till the end of the season and revisit after that. Chances are the coach will step down at that point anyway so as not to have to deal with a bunch of ahole parents and players.

Based on the former assistants comments it definitely seems like there may be a lot of frustration about this head coach. But refusing to play until the coach is fired in high school based on what these guys are complaining about is just stupid.

The one players comments about switching up play calls during a game being an issue is just laughable. We scored a few points running a particular play....we should just keep running it...no way the other team will ever make an adjustment.

I hope the school doesn't cave, keep the coach till the end of the season and revisit after that. Chances are the coach will step down at that point anyway so as not to have to deal with a bunch of ahole parents and players.
High school coaches from small schools are usually teachers who double up as coaches. It is not like they make a ton of money.

Good luck on getting someone to coach if the AD or the school districts do not back up their coaches. If there are disagreements, they should be handled behind closed doors.

Make decisions on coaching changes at the end of the season. Most likely, applicants are not going to be banging on the door.

Agree to a point but I do think the overall behavior of parents especially has gotten worse over time. The referee shortage has been getting worse and worse as more and more officials walk away from it due to not wanting to put up with the abuse anymore.

The money in sports has caused a lot of this because there are still so many parents out there that truly believe their kid is destined for stardom and can't understand that only a super small percentage of players actually make it and that their kid is almost certainly not going to be one of them.

Youth sports should be about fun, but a lot of that fun has been stripped away and it is a real shame. And the issue is the parents more than anything else.
Very valid point, if these parents really thought that this coach was ruining their sons' chances to make it big in basketball ... just sad.

Nope. You missed the primary point of the post, barrister. I pointed out that a lot of grumpy holier than thou pontificating on the topic was going on, including by you. I followed that with specific suggestions how to` work through the situation. That's how problems get resolved outside of the courtroom.
LOL You continue to stay obsessed with my job. It's a bad look. I know that I am again making the mistake of treating you like an adult when you are really just an obsessive fan boy. I'm really trying to make this easier for you. My law degree should not make you feel this inferior. There are way too many lawyers on the planet. It's not a difficult degree to obtain. If I was an MD or had a PhD in some disciplines - yeah, that's impressive. You're so blinded by your obsession with my job that you aren't capable of actually reading a post.

I simply said the kids are going to regret quitting this season. I'd suggest going back and reading my post that seemed to (as always) thrown you into a hissy fit. I think the idea of a HS kid quitting sports and regretting it is something that people, across different career paths, could relate to. The fact that your inferior complex forces you to respond to that notion with "that's how problems get resolved outside of the courtroom" just kind of highlights your obsession.

LOL You continue to stay obsessed with my job. It's a bad look. I know that I am again making the mistake of treating you like an adult when you are really just an obsessive fan boy. I'm really trying to make this easier for you. My law degree should not make you feel this inferior. There are way too many lawyers on the planet. It's not a difficult degree to obtain. If I was an MD or had a PhD in some disciplines - yeah, that's impressive. You're so blinded by your obsession with my job that you aren't capable of actually reading a post.

I simply said the kids are going to regret quitting this season. I'd suggest going back and reading my post that seemed to (as always) thrown you into a hissy fit. I think the idea of a HS kid quitting sports and regretting it is something that people, across different career paths, could relate to. The fact that your inferior complex forces you to respond to that notion with "that's how problems get resolved outside of the courtroom" just kind of highlights your obsession.
You are living proof that a law degree is not a difficult degree to obtain, barrister.

You were just being a grumpy coot and a lazy thinker. I embarrassed you and you are trying to talk your way out of it.

You are living proof that a law degree is not a difficult degree to obtain, barrister.

You were just being a grumpy coot and a lazy thinker. I embarrassed you and you are trying to talk your way out of it.
Drink. I know, that's what makes it so strange you are so intimidated by it. It lives in your head. It clouds your logic. This thread is a prime example at what delusion obsession looks like. All I said before you posted is that the players will regret quitting basketball. LOL. Your obsession has altered your reality. I'm glad everyone gets to see your break from reality here.

Do you honestly believe you said something novel? Honestly? You think the idea to promote the JV team up embarrassed me? I literally liked someone that said it before you. You repeated what the entire board was already saying but you're so stuck in your cloud of obsessive delusion that you think you're clever.

Players know more than coaches now. Cool, cool. Can't wait until I'm relieved of my duties because I don't know enough about basketball to stay ahead of some 17 year olds.

The AD needs to do his job. Tell the players and parents to zip it or can the guy. Pathetic.

The AD needs to do his job. Tell the players and parents to zip it or can the guy. Pathetic.
He did do his job. He stood by the coach and told the kids. The kids were presented their option and choose to come back. Definitely shouldn’t have been this dramatic, but it worked out and hopefully the parents involved in this learned to back off

He did do his job. He stood by the coach and told the kids. The kids were presented their option and choose to come back. Definitely shouldn’t have been this dramatic, but it worked out and hopefully the parents involved in this learned to back off
It would be interesting to know how the parents feel about the backlash their kids have gotten for this move.....you wonder if they realize what they caused or if they are too caught up in their own little worlds to understand it.

High school coaches from small schools are usually teachers who double up as coaches. It is not like they make a ton of money.

Good luck on getting someone to coach if the AD or the school districts do not back up their coaches. If there are disagreements, they should be handled behind closed doors.
There's a lot of this going on out in the more rural areas, no doubt about it. I covered sports for a local paper for a little while when I got out of school (too poor to only have one job!). I remember seeing a young man coaching girls volleyball in a small SW MN school; he would watch the opposing team run off a string of 8-10 points, then he would call timeout, and then he would stand off to the side while the girls talked amongst themselves in the huddle. Blew me away.

My HS basketball coach was obviously there for the football gig, probably saddled with the hoops gig against his wishes as a condition of the job. And it showed. Small college football player, dumb as a box of rocks.

There's a lot of this going on out in the more rural areas, no doubt about it. I covered sports for a local paper for a little while when I got out of school (too poor to only have one job!). I remember seeing a young man coaching girls volleyball in a small SW MN school; he would watch the opposing team run off a string of 8-10 points, then he would call timeout, and then he would stand off to the side while the girls talked amongst themselves in the huddle. Blew me away.

My HS basketball coach was obviously there for the football gig, probably saddled with the hoops gig against his wishes as a condition of the job. And it showed. Small college football player, dumb as a box of rocks.
Back in my 9th grade year of baseball, we didn't have a JV coach about a month before the season started. A math teacher agreed to just take it on. Never coached or even played baseball before. He didn't have a clue what he was doing. Pregame infield/outfield was quite comical. But it was fine, we just played.

Back in my 9th grade year of baseball, we didn't have a JV coach about a month before the season started. A math teacher agreed to just take it on. Never coached or even played baseball before. He didn't have a clue what he was doing. Pregame infield/outfield was quite comical. But it was fine, we just played.
Yeah, in most cases like that the kids will make it work and go with it. It isn't until the parents get involved in that the politics really come into play.

I mean in a perfect world all youth and high school teams would have dedicated/experienced coaches but we all know that just isn't realistic. At the youth level it is parents with vastly different levels of knowledge about the game they are coaching and even at the high school level, the schools are often at the mercy of whoever they can find that is willing to take on the responsibility for a relatively small stipend.

an aspect that probably should be focused on more is coaching at the beginner levels - Elementary-school age kids.

those programs are generally all volunteer, and winds up being whoever is willing to take the job, whether they have a lot of knowledge about the sport or not.

Sometimes it works out. good programs will coordinate through all the levels so that young kids are being taught the same principles all the way through the system. and then there are the programs that don't coordinate.

Before I retired, I used to see a lot of kids coming up to the varsity level for basketball with terrible shooting mechanics and just doing things wrong from a fundamental basis. I would watch the games and think, "how could you teach a kid to shoot that way?" of course, they weren't being taught. they just shot however they wanted and they were never corrected.

It’s a thankless job to coach. Unlike other sports, 7-8 guys play meaningful minutes in basketball. Hockey and other sports play at least 9 or ten. If I send my kid to camp, he should play a lot is the feeling with parents. I love hoops. My dad was my coach. He benched me half way through my Sr year. He was right. We went 20-2. One game from going to state. It’s going to be hard to find coaches and referees if we keep going like this.
Did you stop talking with dad for a while?

Those saying the parents need to teach their kids character never had a sh*tty coach. I should have quit in HS but didn’t because I liked basketball and doing something with friends rather than just going home and doing both.
LOL, I still get angry at my high school football coach, things didn't go my way the for part of the season and I can't figure out how anyone could have been such a sh*tty coach even though he was a hall of famer and easily considered the best high school coach in Minnesota by other coaches at the time.

Top Bottom