I thought they hired this coach cause he could recruit? So where are the players?

Agree with everything Go Gophs just said. We're going to be like Wisconsin football before Alvarez. Do we actually need a basketball team? Serious question. I'm a huge football fan, and if we're in the dumps like this and can't even get local talent, why not close down men's basketball and throw that money towards football. Fleck could hire more coaches, more recruiters, give the staff raises, etc. I'd rather be great at football and not have basketball, as opposed to let a horsecrap basketball program eat up resources that could be better spent elsewhere. Or if we *have* to have a team, just pay minimum wage to all the coaches, sign walks ons, and throw the money at football. Then we'd still get the basketball revenue.
I don't want to remove the team. I want them to make a smart hire, let it develop.

And yes, we have to win like Wisconsin does. Less with more. Coach better, train harder, play smarter. That is the only way. We will never get top players. Just won't. Those kids want baby powder on their butts 24/7. We need hard working blue collar lunchpail guys that make a TEAM together to ever win here.

The premise of the thread is incorrect. BJ was hired because he's from the state, played basketball at the University, and is a really decent human being. Pitino missed on two of those attributes. No one, I mean no one with authority is going to challenge Coyle on this hire. Bitch all you want but BJ is here for the long haul. I'm hoping he wins but outside of Clem (help you with your paper son?), Musselman (a left-hook to the jaw should do the trick!) and Dutcher (those Madison women are nasty) who has won at Minnesota? Really. who has won consistently? I rarely comment on the basketball program as there is no program. Coyle is bullet proof with this hire.

Agree with everything Go Gophs just said. We're going to be like Wisconsin football before Alvarez. Do we actually need a basketball team? Serious question. I'm a huge football fan, and if we're in the dumps like this and can't even get local talent, why not close down men's basketball and throw that money towards football. Fleck could hire more coaches, more recruiters, give the staff raises, etc. I'd rather be great at football and not have basketball, as opposed to let a horsecrap basketball program eat up resources that could be better spent elsewhere. Or if we *have* to have a team, just pay minimum wage to all the coaches, sign walks ons, and throw the money at football. Then we'd still get the basketball revenue.
The men's basketball team makes $$. "Closing it down" would not result in more $ to "throw at football" it would result in less $$.

The premise of the thread is incorrect. BJ was hired because he's from the state, played basketball at the University, and is a really decent human being. Pitino missed on two of those attributes. No one, I mean no one with authority is going to challenge Coyle on this hire. Bitch all you want but BJ is here for the long haul. I'm hoping he wins but outside of Clem (help you with your paper son?), Musselman (a left-hook to the jaw should do the trick!) and Dutcher (those Madison women are nasty) who has won at Minnesota? Really. who has won consistently? I rarely comment on the basketball program as there is no program. Coyle is bullet proof with this hire.

God, I hope that's not true.

If true, then Coyle should be fired, using that criteria he would have hired BJ over any of the top coaches in the country.

He said so in the press conference and previous interviews. "Recruiting is the lifeblood of the program" I believe is the line he uses or something similar.

I agree that Pitino was great at getting transfers. We can agree to disagree on what his biggest personal problems were. I think his biggest personal issues was recruiting/not developing higher quality team defenders

You can't be serious with this comment this year.... How would you rather he fill his roster?
"Recruiting is the lifeblood of the program"

So? There's no commentary there about the mix of the roster between high school and transfer recruits. It's all recruiting no matter the class of the recruit. Talk about reading something into a quote that isn't there!

I don't expect Johnson to be pursuing a different recruiting strategy than he's pursuing at the moment (I'm not exactly sure who he's pursuing at the moment because he's been tight lipped lately but I hope he's casting a wide net) but I don't have a problem with transfers. You're the one who seems to have a strong preference for high school recruits. I actually prefer transfers over high schoolers.

Where can I buy a pair of those?
Search for Nike CB94. They were the Charles Barkley Suns era shoes from 1994 I believe, but they were brought back a couple years ago. Probably my favorite pair of basketball shoes growing up.

Last edited:

For what it's worth, it's interesting his buyout drops in just 2 years. Anyone know how Pitinos original contract was drawn up?​

Minnesota Basketball coaching contract details for 2021​

Base Salary

2021 - TBD:
$1,950,000

It's worth noting that Johnson's salary is $241,230 less than what Pitino was paid last year after taking a COVID pay cut. The language in Johnson's deal reads that" "Coach shall be eligible to receive annual salary increases to be determined by, and subject to the discretion of the Director or his designee."

Essentially, Johnson can get a bump in pay, but that's all to be determined. Johnson's 2021 salary which I believe will rank last among Big Ten Men's Basketball Head Coaches.

Per USA Today, Johnson's $1.95 million would have been last in the Big Ten last season, and while Northwestern doesn't report the actual salary, USA Today had Chris Collins earning $2,892,411 in 2020. Penn State just hired Micah Shewsberry and according to NittanySportsNow, he'll be getting over $2 million a year.

Buyout

Now though April 30, 2023:
$1,950,000

May 1 2023 - April 30, 2024: 75% of base salary at that time

May 1 2024 - April 30, 2025: 50% of base salary at that time

May 1 2025 - April 30, 2026: 25% of base salary at that time

May 1 2025 - April 30, 2026: 25% of base salary at that time

Ha. I had that exact ball.
Same! I used it so much the graphics were similarly fading.

My only memory of that camp was that we did a drill on taking charges. I believe John Thomas ran it but I could be wrong.

There are at least three camps right now:

1. Criticize everything about Ben- because he was a weak hire- there are a good number of those
2. Bought in on Ben as a person who has great potential as a coach and has chosen a real good staff - but concerned that he is off to a rough start (in good part due to the mess that college basketball is at the moment) and that his margin for error is thin. If he doesn't get off to a good start on recruiting this summer and fall- what will he use to sell the program and himself going forward. I would count myself in this group.
3. Built Badger- everything is awesome now that their bogeyman is gone.
I can speak for myself. Not everything is awesome but having a historically poor coach gone is a good thing and i really like what i see and hear and know of the new staff. Please no more 10th place defenses, poor characters and shrinking crowds.

Same! I used it so much the graphics were similarly fading.

My only memory of that camp was that we did a drill on taking charges. I believe John Thomas ran it but I could be wrong.
Exactly. It was worn in the same places and I remember taking charges with John Thomas too! LOL.

"Recruiting is the lifeblood of the program"

So? There's no commentary there about the mix of the roster between high school and transfer recruits. It's all recruiting no matter the class of the recruit. Talk about reading something into a quote that isn't there!

I don't expect Johnson to be pursuing a different recruiting strategy than he's pursuing at the moment (I'm not exactly sure who he's pursuing at the moment because he's been tight lipped lately but I hope he's casting a wide net) but I don't have a problem with transfers. You're the one who seems to have a strong preference for high school recruits. I actually prefer transfers over high schoolers.
Actually if you read back on my posts over the years I’ve been saying and crediting Pitino on his recruiting and use of transfers. II really like having some sit out ones too. My strong preferences when it comes to recruiting is they fit a profile. Preferably one of high character, defends, and offensively unselfish. I really don’t care if th are from MN or anywhere else. Also don’t care if they are high schoolers or a transfer. I do think it’s pretty obvious what Coyle wants because of what he’s said in many interviews and als he wouldn’t have interviewed Ben.

I can speak for myself. Not everything is awesome but having a historically poor coach gone is a good thing and i really like what i see and hear and know of the new staff. Please no more 10th place defenses, poor characters and shrinking crowds.
The shrinking crowds are a virtual certainty, at least for the first couple years.

Reactions: MRJ

I agree Pitino needed to go. I will say I guess personally I don't care how they win. If it's WI/UVA 50-48 or Loyola Maramount 127-120. And the only thing the crowds care about is Wins, so if you want crowds you better hope Johnson figures something out and soon. A terrible first year and not landing any 22 kids would mean no one there in 23

Reactions: MRJ

This path with Johnson is a big gamble in a year where it makes sense to take a gamble. If last year was a bit of a mess, this coming year will be worse with the transfer traffic at an all time high. Will U of M people be ready and willing to go along for the ride? Those who have been praying for the old folks who won't stand up to go away may get their wish.

The premise of the thread is incorrect. BJ was hired because he's from the state, played basketball at the University, and is a really decent human being.
Those sound like qualities that would be good for a head usher or alumni director.

It's not going to go well FYI.

What reason do top guys have to come here? Answer this honestly?? Losing for the better part of a decade. First year coach that hasn't done anything spectacular anywhere he has been. Old arena, apathetic fan base, University that doesn't support their sports, local media that tries their best to blast them at every turn.

There is only one way out of this mess at this point and that is to have a coach that can actually COACH and win a bunch of games. Win it with a system, not players. If he can prove he can do that, then the recruits will come. But they won't until then.

My guess is the Gophers 2022 class will be ranked anywhere from 9-13th in the Big Ten. You can actually take that one to the the bank even right now.
Why are you mad at me? I’ve been more critical of the hire than anyone. You’re preaching to the preacher. All I said was my biggest concern isn’t that he can’t currently get commits.

My strong preferences when it comes to recruiting is they fit a profile. Preferably one of high character, defends, and offensively unselfish. I really don’t care if th are from MN or anywhere else. Also don’t care if they are high schoolers or a transfer. I do think it’s pretty obvious what Coyle wants because of what he’s said in many interviews and als he wouldn’t have interviewed Ben.

"My strong preferences when it comes to recruiting is they fit a profile. Preferably one of high character, defends, and offensively unselfish."

That's boilerplate, anodyne rhetoric (a specialty of yours I notice). You rarely know exactly what you have in a player until the results come in.

As far as what Coyle wants, I suspect he wants programs with better records that he can sell to donors and ones that put more people in the seats. It would be foolish and unprofessional for him to start dictating to new coaches the strategies and tactics they should employ to accomplish those goals. Only your most entrenched and powerful ADs (the Bo Schembechler types) are likely to attempt something like that.

I'm sure he's heard from all sorts of folks (including more than a few rich ones) how the basketball team should get a higher portion of highly rated local talent so I would expect him to mouth those sentiments. Notice that we don't hear as much of that about the football program. Winning has a way of putting those secondary concerns on the back burner.

Time to go "Old School" and call out the Converse high top on y'all!
Bunch a babes talkin bout Barkley's, Forums and Jordans...y'all ain't played til ya wore the Converse high tops with two pairs of athletic socks and team matching stirrup socks up to the knee.
Now...go slink back to your little cheap ass shoe store...😅

Top Bottom