I suppose I will be torn apart for this thought but -

Rog

Reaction score
Why is our Student Ticket sale at a low percentage of the students?

The make up of the U's students has changed over the years is the primary reason.

If I compare the present to the time I was a student, you will find -

A big increase in the ratio of female to male student.

Not always the case but "the higher the SAT score, the less interest in sports".

I don't have the numbers but I bet the ratio of Grad students to undergrads is higher. More Grad students are from other states and have no interest
in MN sports.

Maybe I am just trying to make excuses but -

I don't have the numbers but I bet the ratio of Grad students to undergrads is higher. More Grad students are from other states and have no interest
in MN sports.

You are probably correct here in terms of ratios. I don't have the numbers either, but I'm guessing that the total number of undergraduates hasn't changed (or if anything has gone up over the years). Certainly hasn't dropped. And the total number is the one that would make a difference.

Why is our Student Ticket sale at a low percentage of the students?

The make up of the U's students has changed over the years is the primary reason.

Has the size of the student body increased since you went to school? Even with these changes in population distribution, a sufficiently large student body should still be able to fill the seats. Put a great product on the field and the students will come. Unless you are suggesting lowering the admission standards to UW-Stout level :p

I have no numbers but to propose that way back students showed up is suspect. In the sixties and 70's it was claimed it was a commuter campus and that was the reason no students showed up. I have always wondered why tickets were not a box to check when you enroll. How many times are season tickets presented to the students? Once? twice? Are all mediums being used? Text, Tweet, Email, Enrollment Forms, Literature, we know they use billboard, and coach Kill, a freshman orientation at the stadium. Are we saturating the students with the opportunity. Are we asking or debriefing students as to why they are not buying tickets? Do we know? Is it money, time, no interest, lack of wifi, other? Until you know the answers we are just spitballin" This kind of thing, is called marketing. And we have the Carlson School and cannot figure this out?

Unless you are suggesting lowering the admission standards to UW-Stout level :p

We had a saying in high school (grew up in western WI): "When in doubt, go to Stout. If not there, then Eau Claire. If no one calls, then River Falls."

They are not bad schools, it's just good juvenile humor :)

Has the size of the student body increased since you went to school? Even with these changes in population distribution, a sufficiently large student body should still be able to fill the seats. Put a great product on the field and the students will come. Unless you are suggesting lowering the admission standards to UW-Stout level :p

I don't believe the size of the U has changed since I went. I as a GI from WWII and the "U" was packed with students, over 50,00 if I remember correctly. There was s "SLA" school then and anyone from MN could go to the U if he met minimum standards. It was difficult for Freshman to get good seats in the old stadium. Seniors had the first priorty and then on down. There was no Vikings then, but I don't even now believe the Vikings have any negative effect on Student sales. Some say out of that generation came the great growth the nation experienced. Being a Gopher Fan didn't hurt, we still are Gophers today. Hope the young grads say that 50 or more years from now.

If the team ever gets consistently above .500 in the B1G the student section will be full.

Why worry about the Students who are not there.

If the team ever gets consistently above .500 in the B1G the student section will be full.

We have a fun team to watch, just not one that makes people come out in droves for when you get beat by the so called rivals as often as the U has and the lack of perceived recent success or party environment on game day, that seems cool and a place to be. We have heard the excuses, cuts in to partying, games are too early, no student tailgating etc, cost are still to high...
I accept the fact that football isn't a big deal for students at the U, hopefully some day it changes but right now we are kind of status quo. The Brewster era and the way it started off really hurt student attendance.
For all the in roads the U has made in getting students to stay on campus it is an expensive school to attend and to graduate from and still has a lot of commuter students. There are still roadblocks to getting a degree from the U and a high fallout rate, graduation rate of undergrads still hovers around 35%. High tuition and getting classes that you need, advisers that go through the motions and want to fill quotas or place students in any old degree, the U still has it's politics that bug people. Even with athletics they seem to have a heard mentality of steering people to particular degree programs, with a lot of people just wanting to play ball and have pro careers.
The politics of the U and the stigma of a not very engaged campus, is probably why alumni engagement and giving is on the lower side of the Big 10, the faculty at the U are really not that attached to the school, I even had Nebraska and Wisconsin grads as professors that used to bad mouth the football team all of the time. This was my personal experience, so it taints my perception of the U faculty as a whole.
That and a lot of kids that need to work get stuck working weekends even during game times, to help pay for there tuition and living costs, not everyone has parents helping out or has used service as a way to pay for school or gets scholarships. IT is realistic that a lot of students work on the weekends and during game day.
This may not seem like an underlying cause but it is. A lot of the students do watch the games, even on DVR at least they did when I was an undergrad. Sometimes it is more fun to watch on TV, drink a few beers with your friends, than be in person. May not seem obvious but it is what it is with HD, and technology sometimes you see the games better on TV than even in person and you don't have costs.

There are a lot of post docs and graduate students at the University with other undergraduate degrees with not a lot of affinity for the U especially Wisconsin, Michigan, and Illinois and Purdue grads, this is a place to try and get a better paying job or a stepping stone to Chicago or a bigger place like Atlanta or New York, that is what happens when your in a metro area with as many fortune 500 company's as this town has and the frostbite falls winters we some times have. As the team get's better, more students will identify and want to go because it will become more of the thing to do than just watching them lose "an old battle cry heard many times." The media still paints a picture of all they do is lose, and contributes to the stigma.
Can't put the cart before the horse, get the ones that are coming to the games already to bring friends and share the experience, and more will come.
It's probably going to take a serious run of unprecedented recent success for that affinity to develop and for kids to develop school pride. It is what it is, football just doesn't matter to some of the students that has been the case for four decades now. We have an improving football program, it get's more fun by the year seeing them compete at a higher level. Things may never get back to the way they used to be but I see more kids coming out in the years to come to have fun with there buddy's, the team is starting to turn the corner a little bit and when they turn the big corner then the wagon will not be full enough with people falling off. Things happen in steps, the team has improved I think eventually the student section will fill up more as the season roll along and more winning happens. The current staff has a track record of success and doing what seems impossible possible at some not so great schools. The kids are in better shape and we have more athletes than we have had in years, in Kill and staff we seem to have some light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully that light continues to shine brighter. Start beating Wisconsin and the kids will really get fired up as they have to hear it from there friends and peers quite often after that what now seems like annual beating, that would be a good a start as anything else. That isn't the only thing but it sure would help change perceptions.

It certainly isn't the cost. At 90.00 we are one of the lowest in the B1G. I just think unless you have a Gopher team that is
playing above .500 there are just to many things going on in the Twin Cities to compete with Gopher Football. This isn't
Iowa City or Madison. They're little hamlets compared to the Twin Cities. I've been too both stadiums. The one thing I
noticed about Iowa City is that the students care about the actual football game more than they do in Madison. The
student section in Iowa City is usually pretty full by game time. In Madison, It is at least 45 minutes before the students
fill the majority of their section. I have no doubt it is more of a " event " situation in Madison where you go and get hammered, and if Wisconsin wins, it's just icing on the cake. The bottom line is you have two college towns with nothing else going on in town on a Saturday. So you go to the football game. What happens if they quit having quality
teams? They.will be a poor man's Minnesota because there is not a f-ing thing going on in either of those towns. Notice
I said "towns ", not cities.

for a comparison not to say the Twin Cities is comparable but an interesting percentage would be of students at USC, UCLA, California, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington. All near or in the Middle of a metropolitan city. Probably the best would be UCLA. Till recently not on the radar scope in LA. Dominated by the Lakers, Dodgers, Kings, Clippers. Certainly there are more attractions in LA. The other would be Seattle. UW has been an also ran since Don James left. They most recently remodeled the stadium. How many student tickets?

for a comparison not to say the Twin Cities is comparable but an interesting percentage would be of students at USC, UCLA, California, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington. All near or in the Middle of a metropolitan city. Probably the best would be UCLA. Till recently not on the radar scope in LA. Dominated by the Lakers, Dodgers, Kings, Clippers. Certainly there are more attractions in LA. The other would be Seattle. UW has been an also ran since Don James left. They most recently remodeled the stadium. How many student tickets?

There is no pro football in LA though, husker. So, one who want to watch live football in LA is left with USC or UCLA. Seattle or Chicago may be better "head-to-head" comparisons.

There is no pro football in LA though, husker. So, one who want to watch live football in LA is left with USC or UCLA. Seattle or Chicago may be better "head-to-head" comparisons.

Still more to do in LA without an nfl team than in the twin cities with a pro team.

My suggestion would be to basically forget about the upperclassmen. They've had 3 years to support the program, and have more or less dropped the ball.

If the U wants to have a real student section, they need to start with the incoming freshmen class, and just saturate them with Gopher FB information. At orientation, when they move into the dorms, etc, etc, someone should be in charge of spreading the word about Gopher FB. Find volunteers to serve as 'team captains,' with each responsible for a dorm. Promote a "buddy system," with the idea that you find a "buddy" to take to the game. Organize screenings of highlight films. Hand out season tix info at the same time they hand out info on meal plans, student organizations, etc. It may require the U to spread a few free tix around the first year to get the ball rolling, but if it's done right, they should be able to create a new, more enthusiastic fan base. But, it will take a lot of work and constant reinforcement. This is not a 1-day project or a 1-week project. To make it work, it has to be 24/7 for 365 days a year.

Bottom line- there are a lot of people out there spreading the negative message that "the team stinks," or "Nobody goes to the game." The Gophers have to out-market the nay-sayers.

There are a lot of reason why students haven't returned from the peak Mason years. I think the two biggest are the team didn't perform consistently well between 2006 and 2012 and the draconian security at the new stadium took a bit of fun out of things.

They should lower prices, assign seats and stop being so uptight.

Still more to do in LA without an nfl team than in the twin cities with a pro team.

I realize that. I was more so speaking to an athletic entertainment prospective. Like availability of pro sports, for example.

Jamache's point, and those that mentioned that the team needs to be playing .500 and above in Conference games almost completely sum up the problems with student attendance at the games my Gophers play in TCF BANK STADIUM. The ONLY hope of improving Student attendance at the home games will be when the team is competitive in conference play AND they are beating BOTH iowa and wisky at least 50% of the time they play them. That is as much the key as playing .500 or above in conference play.

It rests totally on the backs of Coach Kill and his staff to INSURE that they are truly competitive against wisky and iowa. It would also help to give the Maize & Blue a real football game in the Big House in Ann Arbor as well. Nobody can do this for my Golden Gophers other than Coach Kill and his staff. They have got to step up to the plate and knock it out of the park in Madison this fall. The students will MAYBE decide to come back to the games when the Coach and his staff have the players COMPETING in the border battles, claiming the Pig, the Axe and even once in a while the Jug at the end of those games and the hardware returns to Minneapolis for at least a year. Beat the stinking badger: end the madness. And quit trying to kiss the students' collective butts to beg them to come to the games. Just start being really competitive in conference play AND compete against our Big Ten neighbors in wisky and iowa.

Haven't any of you ever dealt with teen agers and the "sophisticated" college people before? You do not "beg" them to do anything. You won't "bribe" them into doing anything either. And, you certainly won't "free-be" these affluent children of the affluent into coming to the games because you want them to. Instead, take more of their tickets away. Also, tell them they can't have their own section any longer. Finally, let them know that EVERYTHING will be just great if they aren't around. Don't "beg" them to do anything. And, IF they don't show up just cheer yourself like crazy for my Gophers...for your Gophers...for these Gophers to beat the stinking hawgs AND the stinking badger when ever the game is in Minneapolis. Start kissing the butts of the long-time season ticket buying public. Start doing something nice for the people who pay full price for their tickets. Treat the people who do come to the home games as though you care they exist. Worry what the U will do IF the loyal long time ticket buyers quit showing up. No-show students are not a problem. No-buy long term season ticket holders would be a HUGE problem for the Athletic Director...the Football Program...the Coach and his staff and the student athlete players. An invisible student section that never really was is really no problem at all. Sell out TCF BANK Stadium to ANY potential ticket buyer....to EVERY potential ticket buyer. Then worry about finding room for some students IF they care enough to form a section.

People have tried to think of every possible way to beg, buy or bribe the students to be a meaningful part of the home Gopher Games ever since the stadium was built. Well, quit kissing their behinds and just ignore them. Life certainly will go on without them. Sell the tickets to people who want to be at the games. Let any students who aren't interested go fly a kite on their own dime...Let the students start getting angry and demand that a section be returned to them. Maybe then they might even be pi$$ed enough and feel discounted enough to actually SHOW UP at the games. At least, it probably wouldn't be any worse than it has been in this shining new Golden Gopher Home on Campus. You won't get very far by continuing to try to kiss their butts...

Coach Kill and his staff NEED to win more border battle games and trophy games. THAT is up to THEM. No more pay raises for them at least until they can compete in the border battles.

My suggestion would be to basically forget about the upperclassmen. They've had 3 years to support the program, and have more or less dropped the ball.

If the U wants to have a real student section, they need to start with the incoming freshmen class, and just saturate them with Gopher FB information. At orientation, when they move into the dorms, etc, etc, someone should be in charge of spreading the word about Gopher FB. Find volunteers to serve as 'team captains,' with each responsible for a dorm. Promote a "buddy system," with the idea that you find a "buddy" to take to the game. Organize screenings of highlight films. Hand out season tix info at the same time they hand out info on meal plans, student organizations, etc. It may require the U to spread a few free tix around the first year to get the ball rolling, but if it's done right, they should be able to create a new, more enthusiastic fan base. But, it will take a lot of work and constant reinforcement. This is not a 1-day project or a 1-week project. To make it work, it has to be 24/7 for 365 days a year.

Bottom line- there are a lot of people out there spreading the negative message that "the team stinks," or "Nobody goes to the game." The Gophers have to out-market the nay-sayers.

I think you're on to something here SON. Take it a step further and offer extra credit to be applied toward GPA for game attendance. Just like the players!

I have done a little research on UCLA, they have the same problem we have attendance. They play their games in The Rose Bowl, and draw about 60,000. That makes the stadium look empty. The team is turning the corner under Mora, and some feel they could be a final 4 team. They offer the Den pass which allows you a seat at all football and basketball games as well as priority seating for post season. Pre order price $99, After July 1st $129. And its as easy as on line order with your student ID, and they will bill it to your student account or credit card. This is slightly beyond our marketing.

http://www.uclabruins.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&&DB_OEM_ID=30500&ATCLID=208268434

It's all about winning. Before Musselman came here, basketball was dead at the barn. One year of Muss and the place was jumping. In fact they had the games on closed circuit at Mariucci for fans who couldn't get tickets. When Holtz came here, the Dome was hopping and he was just getting started. Had he stayed we would have had sellouts

It's all about winning. Before Musselman came here, basketball was dead at the barn. One year of Muss and the place was jumping. In fact they had the games on closed circuit at Mariucci for fans who couldn't get tickets. When Holtz came here, the Dome was hopping and he was just getting started. Had he stayed we would have had sellouts

And the death penalty.

Dirtiest coach in history. Glad he left, wish he never would have shown up.

I realize that. I was more so speaking to an athletic entertainment prospective. Like availability of pro sports, for example.

The Lakers by themselves provide more entertainment/success then all professional and D1 collegiate sports in Minnesota combined.

Kind of sad when you think about it, actually.

If the Lakers didn't leave and the rest of the MN sports scene was as it has been for the last 2 decades, there would be a 10 lifetime waiting list for tickets to Lakers games.

I think the main problem is not the make up of the students. Gopher Sports, specifically football, is not ingrained in the culture of being a student. When exciting games or events are happening (opening of TCF, playing Iowa when we are undefeated, etc.) the students have shown up. When the U has had a variety of promotions to try and get them in the door students have shown a slight uptick in interest.

Any student that goes to Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc. will drop what they are doing to either go to or watch the football team. It is part of the student life. A lot of that has to do with established success, some of it is probably that it is the only interesting thing going on in town. The U is fighting an uphill battle to bring football back into the spotlight on campus. They have had success for a few games in getting students, and general fans, in the door.

There are some aspects of the business that the U needs to fix. Such as treating students more like students (I am not sold on their new ticket policy), scheduling some home games over Thanksgiving (this is a B1G and CFB issue), and not treating alums like straight up customers. The U has an established relationship with all of their fans in some capacity. Why they can't generate pride in their school among the 50,000+ who attend each year and the 100s of thousands of alums across the world is beyond me.

We had a saying in high school (grew up in western WI): "When in doubt, go to Stout. If not there, then Eau Claire. If no one calls, then River Falls."

They are not bad schools, it's just good juvenile humor :)

I'm old, but never heard that one. Good chuckle.

Rog, as others have said, there are still enough red-blooded, testosterone-laced male students on campus who could fill the seats if they were so inclined. Price of tickets is not an obstacle, but price of college in general may be. As reasonable as a student season ticket is in terms of price, it's still cheaper to watch at home and get loaded in the process.

True and that was pretty much an unwatchable brand of basketball, but it was a circus.

I think you're on to something here SON. Take it a step further and offer extra credit to be applied toward GPA for game attendance. Just like the players!

I think they need to go back and rescind some of that extra credit. There were several games last year where key players failed to show up. :cool:

Top Bottom