I support BJ now, but here's why to me he was not ready to be B1G coach. I hope he does well though.

This is actually playing out right now....Rick Pitino @ Iona.

I meant toss them on a mid major with their roster. Pitino brought in the number one MAAC recruiting class and almost completely turned over the roster with seven freshman and four transfers.

Again....this isn't to say that Pitino or any of the guys at blue bloods that I mentioned are bad coaches. What I am saying is that they benefit from better talent....and that being an assistant under one of them doesn't necessarily give a coach better or more preparation.

What says he and Johnson didn’t get along well? Did he not get along with the Xavier coach? Their record got worse when Johnson was hired. Just trying to wrap my head around him being responsible for all the “gets” but none of the misses. Miraculously Gabe entering the portal has nothing to do with Johnson. It’s incredible.

Based on what I've read here....they didn't get along all that well. The story of Pitino ripping Johnson during one of the games? The fact that Johnson decided to leave his alma mater to make a lateral move as an assistant at Xavier?

I'm trying to figure out how you are attributing Xavier's record to the hiring of Johnson as an assistant....?

Your reading comprehension is poor, this is literally my quote:

The quote you pulled is from my category of an assistant at a non blue blood who built the program on their tenure. So you are making up a fake quote to try and refute what I said; try and actually address what I said and not what you wish I said.

Yes. I did misread that. My point still stands that being an assistant at a blue blood doesn't necessarily make a coach better prepared. Using that as an excuse for why one assistant is ready to make the leap is nothing more than a joke.

Based on what I've read here....they didn't get along all that well. The story of Pitino ripping Johnson during one of the games? The fact that Johnson decided to leave his alma mater to make a lateral move as an assistant at Xavier?

I'm trying to figure out how you are attributing Xavier's record to the hiring of Johnson as an assistant....?
Oh yeah, gopherhole is full of truths.

I just think it’s odd that from when he got hired the team got worse every year. Maybe he didn’t get a long with that head coach either? I’ve read that on random message boards so definitely true.

Oh yeah, gopherhole is full of truths.

I just think it’s odd that from when he got hired the team got worse every year. Maybe he didn’t get a long with that head coach either? I’ve read that on random message boards so definitely true.

Ummm. Xavier record over the past three years:

'18-'19: 19-16 (9-9 conference)
'19-'20: 19-13 (8-10 conference)
'20-'21: 13-8 (6-7 conference)

It actually turns out that their winning percentage increased each year. But I'm guessing that in your blinded rally to dump on Ben Johnson....you never actually thought to check any of these things. Again....not that it matters all that much. He was an assistant coach.

alchemy2u

There, can we please all just stop with why some of us here don't think he was ready. He just wasn't, at least not for a B1G job. He was never even an associate head coach. But whatever now, he's our coach, I'm on board and we ALL should be on board. Lets cheer him on and move forward. There's no point in arguing this anymore.

Go BJ! and Go Gophers!!!!
None of these were reasons he was "not ready". You are just comparing resumes and saying he has the worst resume. So what? - we hired Tubby Smith from Kentucky, and he had a great resume. (Kentucky then upgraded to a great resume, Billy Gillispie, who they promptly fired 2 years later)

For example, recruiting is a key part of the job and if you cannot do it you are "Not ready". If you have no experience recruiting this does not mean that you cannot recruit - only that you are not experienced at it. A savvy leader might still hire you knowing you will be good at it even before you do.

Top Bottom