I said I'd quit following college sports as soon as we lose a key player via transfer

EasyThere Pilgrim

Reaction score
And I meant it. I consider Evans a key player. These new rules of paying players and transferring...it's simply not something I have any interest in. It's not college sports anymore.

My time is MUCH better spent getting into the gym myself than giving a crap what some 'Gopher' does that I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION TO.

So goodbye.

And I meant it. I consider Evans a key player. These new rules of paying players and transferring...it's simply not something I have any interest in. It's not college sports anymore.

My time is MUCH better spent getting into the gym myself than giving a crap what some 'Gopher' does that I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONNECTION TO.

So goodbye.
Are you Dennis Evans?

So goodbye.
Thank you Mr. Wendel

So goodbye.
I agree. The ncaa is a dumpster fire. I loved college basketball rip . No more money from me!

So you quit following after D Joseph and R White transferred?

So you quit following after D Joseph and R White transferred?
For me personally it's way more of a bummer when players like D Joseph or C Iverson transfer than a HS LOI recruit. Those guys actually did stuff like score points, block shots that contributed to wins and NCAA bids. But, to each their own.

Evans could have been savior, just another player or even a complete bust.

Ben went from multiple posters who seemed liked they would take a bullet for him to completely abandoned in about a month. Rough.
Following the crowd usually isn't good.

So goodbye.
Wow. After <200 posts in 5 years, how will this site and program ever recover after such fan enthusiasm

Look - at this point, nobody KNOWS why Evans backed out. Marcus Fuller from the Strib apparently spoke to a member of Evans' family, but all Fuller said publicly is "they didn't want to say much about why he changed his mind." Fuller did at least hint that this has been coming for a while- that it wasn't a sudden decision.

in today's climate, it's easy to speculate that School X got to Evans' family and dangled a big NIL deal in front of them.

But there is no PROOF of that. Maybe Evans truly didn't like what he saw of the team's performance this year. maybe someone has been whispering in his ear that Ben Johnson is going to get fired.
maybe maybe maybe maybe.

Still, this is not some recruit backing out on a commitment before signing day. This is a player who signed a National letter of Intent asking to be released. This just doesn't happen very often.

So I have to think there is more here than just cold feet. But until someone goes on the record, we just don't know.

You can still win in college basketball without NIL. I'm out on that narrative it can't be done.
NIL didn't change anything.

The biggest fish always got to eat the biggest recruits. NIL or no NIL.

Gophers aren't going to win unless they go "smallball" on recruiting vs development. Accept it, get over it, let's get going.

It IS possible to take an 18 year old that the majors pass on, for whatever reasons, and turn him into a star.

It's a lot of work. But it can be done.

Gophers aren't going to win unless they go "smallball" on recruiting vs development. Accept it, get over it, let's get going.

It IS possible to take an 18 year old that the majors pass on, for whatever reasons, and turn him into a star.

Absolutely.

I think the current state of college bball actually is more conducive to parity. 30-40 years ago the top teams got the top guys and they never left. Now that 5* who goes to Duke or UK after a year of sitting leaves. Bryce Hopkins at Providence is a great example. NIL can be good and bad for a big school as well. You get 1 2 and 3 $x per year, 4-5-6 guys go ahh nope don't like that and leave to be that 1-2 guy on another team. Sure you blue bloods will always have some advantages, but teams like FAU, St Mary's, heck even NW are having nice years and been ranked. Or a team like Pitt was a disaster last year, hit the portal hard and were sniffing the top of the ACC much of the year. You have less room for error the further you go down, but the ability to reset in a hurry is far greater in today's ncaa environment

Mn and wi recruits with a few out staters seems to have worked for the badgers.

Look - at this point, nobody KNOWS why Evans backed out. Marcus Fuller from the Strib apparently spoke to a member of Evans' family, but all Fuller said publicly is "they didn't want to say much about why he changed his mind." Fuller did at least hint that this has been coming for a while- that it wasn't a sudden decision.

in today's climate, it's easy to speculate that School X got to Evans' family and dangled a big NIL deal in front of them.

But there is no PROOF of that. Maybe Evans truly didn't like what he saw of the team's performance this year. maybe someone has been whispering in his ear that Ben Johnson is going to get fired.
maybe maybe maybe maybe.

Still, this is not some recruit backing out on a commitment before signing day. This is a player who signed a National letter of Intent asking to be released. This just doesn't happen very often.

So I have to think there is more here than just cold feet. But until someone goes on the record, we just don't know.
Does it matter the reason for asking for release? Actually surprised the request didn’t come sooner. What’s next? More recruits backing out and current roster transferring.

So goodbye.
Technically not a transfer

But now I think that as soon as Ola-Joseph and Payne (and Henley's last game has given him enough to show that he will be good as a junior too) develop...they will leave for NIL money.

I was holding out hope that $ wouldn't rule. But now it's affecting us...and will continue to do so. And it's not something I support or want to support even if the U of MN jumps into the sleaze.

But now I think that as soon as Ola-Joseph and Payne (and Henley's last game has given him enough to show that he will be good as a junior too) develop...they will leave for NIL money.

I was holding out hope that $ wouldn't rule. But now it's affecting us...and will continue to do so. And it's not something I support or want to support even if the U of MN jumps into the sleaze.
Here have a dollar, nah brother man here have two…..

Here have a dollar, nah brother man here have two…..
Spaulding...maybe the only way to get any enjoyment whatsoever out of 'college' basketball is to post short 1-sentence crap...and not treat this as anything that's actually in any-way-shape-or-form to be of any seriousness, importance, or relevance.

Seriously.

Top Bottom