I miss the barn.

lol @ the thought of anyone in athletic/marketing dept upsetting any of the godforsaken "sitters" that plague the U. I can't even IMAGINE the ridiculous backlash if the students lined part or all of the perimeter of the court (a la Michigan State) and ANYONE was forced out of the comfort and warmth of their own seat back. Nobody in either department has the balls to do it. Sorry if it's harsh, but it's the straight up truth. You saw the vicious battles on the Football board here on GopherHole about sitting/standing at the football games, I guarantee you if you were forced to stand you'd have a lot of angry rich people, and rich people>students 100% of the time. Not that it's right, but again...Just the truth.

lol @ the thought of anyone in athletic/marketing dept upsetting any of the godforsaken "sitters" that plague the U.

I'm sure that's what they are counting on. And with no pressure from students or anyone else, they will configure the arena seating so as to squeeze the most dollars from those seats. The problem is that they will likely further destroy the atmosphere that the OP complains about and, in the long term, The Barn will have completely lost its mystique.

Admittedly, I probably won't do anything on my own about this, but, if you care more than me about it and do nothing right now, don't complain 3 years from now when your seat sucks, they cost more, you are forced a "donation," the student section is further marginalized and the mystique is gone forever.......

is it me or has it became even worse then last year? The band doesn't play aaaannnny songs anymore during breaks, If this is the way the U is going to continue to run things than I am out

is it me or has it became even worse then last year? The band doesn't play aaaannnny songs anymore during breaks, If this is the way the U is going to continue to run things than I am out

It's not you. It is worse than last year. I think a lot of the problem with last night's crowd was their frustration with the poorly executed word scramble. Everyone knows that proper nouns are not allowed, and that's why the correct answer should have been 'hounds' and not 'Hudson'. If you are going to ruin our Williams arena experience, at least do it within the rules!

It's become blatantly obvious that Gopher Sports Marketing no longer cares whether the teams win or lose, but rather how many business names they can spew out of the PA announcer's mouth during a TV timeout.

I wouldn't be critical of the band, they just take cues from marketing. There are times when the rouser is appropriate during TV timeouts when they're forced to sit on their hands and be quiet because "Hey Gopher Fans...! Goldy is a TCF Bank Card Holder...Are you!? LETS GET ENERGIZED FOR TCF BANK!>ASDPOWAJ%$!!!!"

FWIW...

I came in during the Monson years, the depth of the depths, and this kicks ass compared to that...

Just saying :eek:

Yes it does seem like a Saints game, now that you mention it, but I think they can actually get sponsors now, so they are going nuts with it... That and they don't have the NBA-esque mega arena that comes with the hundreds of LCD-clad surfaces upon to place a never ending whirl of commercial melange.

As we all know it's about money but can't they find a different way to find that money. These promos are only going to those in attendance(they're not on TV)so I can't believe it's that much money.

I love Gopher BB and I love the Barn but half the reason to go to a Gopher game is the atmosphere, especially during the Big Ten season. Don't ruin the product.

Is it time to start thinking about cutting some non-revenue sports? Just asking.

Top Bottom