I know it's far fetched, but, Mike Bellotti?

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
I am not saying that he would be an easy get, it would be akin to being able to get Tubby to Dinkytown, however, I am almost convinced Mike Bellotti wants to return to coaching football.

He had said a few times while being the AD at Oregon that he wasn't comfortable in the position, that he lost more hours of sleep as an AD than he ever did as a coach, etc. He also had to endure the "pefect storm" of nonsense with the football team and the basketball team. He was essentially run out of being an AD and even hinted that he might want to continue coaching.

I personally think Mike Bellotti is one of the best coaches of our generation. It would be almost impossible to rip him away from the West Coast and even a more difficult task to get our program to pay the man. However, he would immedietly legitimize our team.

Thoughts? Even if it's to tell me that it's nothing but a pipe dream...

I think Belotti would be a fantastic coach, however he would want a very large paycheck... and perhaps an ocean. We could submerge Wisconsin I suppose.

(My first post, in the middle of the night after avidly visiting this site for about six years. ~ o.0b)

I like it, but I think you're right to be pessimistic about him coming here.

Mike Hohensee would be another great canidate, but would he want to come here is another question?

Hohen....who

That's the same thing recruits would be saying....that's why the Goph's wouldn't want him. Don't think that dude has coached a down in college football has he? Dude hasn't recruited has he. Dude is a career Arena League coach....is that resume really going to impress anyone? Coach B would be a coup for the U. If he ain't coaching my Ducks, get him at the U that way I don't have to worry about another Pac-10 team hiring him when he's ready to make a return.

What about Carl Pelini? If you want to talk long shots anyway

I live in Nebraska and watch a lot of Huskers, Pelini has done amazing things with that blackshirt defense. He is the kind of guy that could turn this program around I believe.

I think its a long shot because:
1.) He's got a great thing going in Nebraska
2.) He would have to play against his brother at least once a year.
3.) he may want money

But if Minnesota is serious about getting good football here again they need to spend money on a coach. Its that simple. Now they have to spend money on the right guy, another Nebraska example, but look at Bill Callahan. The guy wanted a boatload of money, they gave it up and he didn't deliver.

Bellotti to UCLA? This makes the most sense as a landing spot.

I don't think UCLA is ready to bail on thier golden boy Nueheisel just yet. It may be true that he prefers the west coast, etc. but it's definately worth making a run at him.

But

Because other than his connection to the U, there is no reason to hire the guy based on his background as an AFL coach.

Not that it necessarily translates to college but he...wins! Isn't that THE most important thing? I don't know if he is what we need, I just think it is a bad idea to ignor/overlook a coach with ties to the school and has been proven to be a good head coach...not matter where he has done it!

Just like

not overlooking a coach who has won alot with Mike Shanahan and Mack Brown????

Not that it necessarily translates to college but he...wins! Isn't that THE most important thing? I don't know if he is what we need, I just think it is a bad idea to ignor/overlook a coach with ties to the school and has been proven to be a good head coach...not matter where he has done it!

Well, then there is the issue with what kind of system would he run? AFL doesn't exactly translate to college. Then there is no recruiting experience, etc, etc.

Well, if Neuhisel is done at UCLA to make that happen, he should be seriously considered here. However, I don't think UCLA is looking to switching quite yet.

I am not saying that he would be an easy get, it would be akin to being able to get Tubby to Dinkytown, however, I am almost convinced Mike Bellotti wants to return to coaching football.

He had said a few times while being the AD at Oregon that he wasn't comfortable in the position, that he lost more hours of sleep as an AD than he ever did as a coach, etc. He also had to endure the "pefect storm" of nonsense with the football team and the basketball team. He was essentially run out of being an AD and even hinted that he might want to continue coaching.

I personally think Mike Bellotti is one of the best coaches of our generation. It would be almost impossible to rip him away from the West Coast and even a more difficult task to get our program to pay the man. However, he would immedietly legitimize our team.

Thoughts? Even if it's to tell me that it's nothing but a pipe dream...

I really like Mike Bellotti as a coach also. He is 59 years old, but I view that as an asset because of experience. Good suggestion.

I believe Phil Fulmer ( former Tennesee Coach) could bring respectability also. He has been a Head Coach for many years and could put together an experienced staff who teach blocking/tackling skills essential to Big 10 competition. He is 60 years old -- but age/experience can be a big asset.

These other Coaches mentioned who are currently employed are excellent also :

Mark Richt (Georgia) -- If he becomes available I want him in a heart-beat. He is an excellent recruiter in talent rich states of Florida and Georgia and recruited Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Mareno. He is 50 years old and again I view his experience as an asset.

Greg Schiano (Rutgers) -- He is a defensive specialty background and was Def Coordinator at Miami U. He is from New Jersey , which has a significant talent pool to recruit from. He may want Penn St. job, but would definitely be a terrific land -- if successful.

Al Golden (Temple) -- He is a young, upstart coach on the rise in the Coaching ranks. He played at Penn St. and although a former tight end as a player, he has been a Defensive Coordinator at Virginia before being named head coach at Temple.

If none of the above are interested, I suggest that someone other than Maturi select the new Coach. Ex players such as Bob Stein,Tom Moe, Bobby Bell,Tony Dungy, Marion Barber, Peter Najarian,Darrell Thompson,Ray Hitchcock,Justin Conzemius, and others could add insight into the selection and may also take on a role of " buying into the program" and pride of the future of the program.Tradition is extremely important and involved ex-players are terrific assets to keep going forward.

Bellotti is someone I'm pretty sure we could get if we were serious.

Top Bottom