I don’t know about you, but…

#93fanclub

Reaction score
I’m already getting jacked up about our first game of the season! It makes sense since it’s Nebraska but, on the other hand, Smiley Scott Frost is gone off somewhere counting his severance pay. I haven’t thought of a good reason yet to despise their new coach, but my contempt for Nebraska is long-simmering. 84-13 comes to mind. This first game seems like a good time to really lay one on them! Are ya with me! Let’s Go!

I’m already getting jacked up about our first game of the season! It makes sense since it’s Nebraska but, on the other hand, Smiley Scott Frost is gone off somewhere counting his severance pay. I haven’t thought of a good reason yet to despise their new coach, but my contempt for Nebraska is long-simmering. 84-13 comes to mind. This first game seems like a good time to really lay one on them! Are ya with me! Let’s Go!
I'm with you. Already stoked as well! But nervous too. I can see us putting the hammer to them, but I can honestly also see them beating us. Opening night losses are real buzzkills. An opening night win against a Big Ten foe would be sweet and set the tone for a great long weekend of binge watching college football. I remain excitedly, cautiously optimistic. Go Gophers!

I've never met a Nebraska fan that I've disliked. Salt of the earth people....

But....they are incredibly delusional.
In my experience it's only a subset of their older fans that are delusional. Their under 40 fans are pretty well aware that the Osborne era isn't coming back, they would be fairly happy to win 8-10 games a year.

Nebraska isn’t a must win or can’t lose. Plenty of season left after. BUT, since Iowa has a soft schedule, we can’t afford to lose any toss up or “should win” B1G games if we want to be in the running for the West title.

Let’s go and stroke the post. Side note: Jerry Kill no longer wears a wedding ring.

I appreciate your enthusiasm. But let's just win the first game. I'll be happy no matter how we do it. Funky things can happen, especially early in the season. Just get the "W," no matter how ugly it might be.

Nebraska fans are now at the same place Minnesota fans were at post-Cal Stoll. The program is in the same shape. Frost was their Salem. Rhule is their Holtz. Nebraska will become average to good sometime around 2035 and relevant Nationally again around 2055.

Let’s go and stroke the post. Side note: Jerry Kill no longer wears a wedding ring.
random-itysl.gif

Nebraska fans are now at the same place Minnesota fans were at post-Cal Stoll. The program is in the same shape. Frost was their Salem. Rhule is their Holtz. Nebraska will become average to good sometime around 2035 and relevant Nationally again around 2055.
family-guy-brian-griffin.gif

I've never met a Nebraska fan that I've disliked. Salt of the earth people....

But....they are incredibly delusional.
You’ll find plenty of Nebraska fans to dislike if you hang out on Twitter or some other social media options.

But I agree when it comes to attending a game in Lincoln or meeting a Nebraska fan in person. I’ve had 100% good experiences in that respect.

facing a team with a new coach and a new system presents some interesting issues.

on the one hand, it's a new coach and new system, so Nebraska may still be learning and adjusting to the system and getting its personnel in place.

but on the other hand, it's a lot harder preparing for a team with a new coach that is running a new system.

The Gophers knew what to expect from Frosty - and the results were favorable. with Rhule, it's harder to know what to expect.

and the Gophers have plenty of their own changes to adjust to - new OC, new starting QB, new RB, etc.

so this game is a real toss-up in my book. it could go a lot of different ways.

Nebraska always has talent - We have plenty of our own. I am much more optimistic on a 10 win season than most, but this game still makes me nervous.

This season nothing between 6-6 and 11-1 would really surprise me, and think we have a 25% shot of going 10+… think we also have a 15% chance of a 6-6 season. 60% we end up in the 7-9 range.

Rhule turned a basement dweller in Baylor into a good program under his watch. He's competent and he has a lot more weapons at his disposal in Nebraska than he did when he started with Baylor.

First game is typically an exercise in working out kinks in execution. I agree with Bleed, I'd rather play a tune up game against someone out of conference in week one than go against a divisional foe you could be competing with for a good bowl at the end of the season to start things off. Still super bullish on this team, but week one is absolutely an "anything can happen" type of week when two P5 teams play. We had OSU on their heels two years ago before Mo went down.

Rhule turned a basement dweller in Baylor into a good program under his watch. He's competent and he has a lot more weapons at his disposal in Nebraska than he did when he started with Baylor.

First game is typically an exercise in working out kinks in execution. I agree with Bleed, I'd rather play a tune up game against someone out of conference in week one than go against a divisional foe you could be competing with for a good bowl at the end of the season to start things off. Still super bullish on this team, but week one is absolutely an "anything can happen" type of week when two P5 teams play. We had OSU on their heels two years ago before Mo went down.
Come again? Briles won 50 games his last five seasons. He built Baylor.

Come again? Briles won 50 games his last five seasons. He built Baylor.
Whoops! You're right and I look and feel like a mouton. In defense of my stated opinion, Baylor was really bad prior to those five Briles years and I always believed they were bad based on various sources saying they were bad compared to other Texas teams. I only knew they and Rhule were good because Rhule and PJ were frequently compared in 2019 as taking mediocre programs towards the top, week in, week out. I guess I understand why common folk think the Gophers are always bad even when they're good.

Misinformation is real, I apologize.

Whoops! You're right and I look and feel like a mouton. In defense of my stated opinion, Baylor was really bad prior to those five Briles years and I always believed they were bad based on various sources saying they were bad compared to other Texas teams. I only knew they and Rhule were good because Rhule and PJ were frequently compared in 2019 as taking mediocre programs towards the top, week in, week out. I guess I understand why common folk think the Gophers are always bad even when they're good.

Misinformation is real, I apologize.
Baylor was however pretty gutted by the rape scandal so Rhule did walk into a tougher situation than it may seem on the surface.

We need to hang an 84-12 L on them in their house.

Top Bottom