I asked an Eastern Michigan reporter six questions.

NoelarBear

Reaction score

Before every game, I ask a reporter who covers the Gophers upcoming opponent to give us a view from the opponent’s perspective.

I asked Blake McQueary from The Eastern Echo six questions about the Eastern Michigan Eagles

Eastern Michigan travels to Minneapolis on September 9th to take on Gophers at 6:30 pm.

Huge thanks to Blake for giving us his thoughts!

Follow Luke on Twitter: @b_mcqueary6

Follow Noel on Twitter: @n0elthompson

1. Eastern Michigan finished the 2022 season with one of its best seasons in program history, with an overall record of 9-4 and a 5-3 record in conference play. Head coach Chris Creighton is now in his 10th year at the helm. What are the expectations of the Eagles for this year? Where do they stack up in the Mid-American Conference?

I believe the expectations this year for this Eastern Michigan team are nothing less than a MAC championship. Last year they fell just short of that championship berth with a heartbreaking loss to Toledo, and from what I've been told by the players, that loss stung and is still on their minds coming into this season. Personally, I believe the expectation should just be winning, and then everything else will fall into place, as a MAC Championship hasn’t been brought to Ypsilanti since 1987. Is this team capable of winning the MAC? They 100% are, and I have a really good feeling about it this year, no doubt. With that being said, this EMU team stacks up very well against other MAC opponents. We’ve returned numerous starters on offense and defense, with the only key losses really being Jose Ramirez and Sidy Sow. We just have to beat Toledo.

2. The Eagles are coming off a 33-23 victory in week one against Howard. What went right for Eastern Michigan last week? What went wrong?

If you watched the game or paid attention to what happened in EMU’s win over Howard, you absolutely know that our special teams are up there with the best in the country. Along with that, Jaylon Jackson just very well might be the best returner in all of college football. EMU scored twice off of returned kicks, one of those being Jackson, and I'm telling you, there’s going to be plenty more to come. What also stood out to me was the resilience of our defense in not allowing Howard to get into the end zone as much as they should have. Howard had 100+ more yards of total offense than we did, which is the first thing I wasn’t pleased with, but it gives me a sense of balance knowing that they outplayed us on the offensive end but our defense only allowed two touchdowns despite giving up nearly 400 total yards. Now, what I didn’t really like in that game was our second-half fatigue. EMU went into halftime with a 30-9 lead and then gave up 14 unanswered points in the third quarter. We just have to do a better job of executing in all aspects of the game in the second half, because now is when the real football starts.

3. The offense returns a star in running back Samson Evans, who ran for 1,166 yards and five touchdowns last year. Can you tell Gophers fans more about Samson Evans? What makes him a dangerous runner for the Eagles?

Samson Evans is just straight-up an absolute dawg. He’s one of those hard-nosed, gritty, and tough backs that you are going to have a hard time trying to bring to the ground. You’re rarely going to see Samson make a flashy, juke play with the ball, but you are going to see him run through a few people and make a whole lot more people miss some tackles. He’s just one of those guys who is a pound-for-pound back that will make it very difficult for the opposing guys on the other side of him. Probably my favorite thing about Samson is that, whether it’s good or bad, he doesn’t care about any outside noise or what you think of him; he actually just deactivated his social media prior to the season because of all of the noise and love surrounding him heading into this year. He just wants to win football games and will do whatever it takes to achieve those wins.

4. For the defense, they will be without MAC Defensive Player of the Year Jose Ramirez, who is off to the NFL. What would you consider the strength of the Eagles defense? Is there a position group that concerns you?

Losing Jose Ramirez is a drastic loss for this Eagles defense, and it’s basically almost irreplaceable due to what he did at EMU. Jose’s a one-of-a-kind guy. With that being said, I believe this defense has only gotten better and more experienced. Our defensive front is absolutely stacked with guys like Peyton Price, Tim Grant-Randall, and Melvin Swindle II; our linebacker room is outstanding with Joe Sparacio, Chase Kline, and even Luke Cameron; and our secondary is second to none with Kempton Shine, Quentavius Scrandett, T.J Peavy, Cameron Smith, David Carter Jr., even true freshman Daiquan White. We’ve got some dawgs on that end, and I can’t wait to see them maximize their potential. My only concern with this group, like I said, is getting too comfortable in the second half, they just have to stay the course, play a full two halves of football, and they will be lights out.

5. Eastern Michigan’s special teams returned two kickoffs last week for touchdowns. The Eagles seem to have playmakers in all three phases. Could you give us a few impact players that Minnesota fans should know about heading into Saturday?

Like I said, our special teams is one of the best in the country, and kick returner Jaylon Jackson has shown me he’s the best in the nation, so he’s first on the list as far as impact players. A First-Team All-MAC selection for kick returning a season ago, he’s got lightning speed, his cuts are clean and crisp, and if you blink too hard you might miss him. He only stands 5-foot-6 at 168 pounds, but I’m telling you he could care less who you have on the other side because he’s going to meet you in the endzone. Another guy I love to rave about is Third Team All-MAC wideout, Tanner Knue. Knue is one of the best pass catchers and route runners in the MAC, he rarely drops the ball, and his route running is very clean. He’s one of those guys that opposing teams would overlook, but he will quickly make you aware of his talent. At the end of the day, Knue is going to get his. Last but not least, when we talk about major impact players of a game, defensive lineman Peyton Price has to be on the list. Listed at 6-foot-2, 300 pounds, Price is a guy that can erupt your run game and clog the front, making it very challenging for opposing backs. I’m expecting a huge year this season from Peyton Price.

6. The Eagles head into Minneapolis for a night game against the Gophers. Minnesota is coming off an exciting win against Nebraska. Minnesota is currently a 20-point favorite against Eastern Michigan. What do the Eagles need to do to pull off an upset over Minnesota? What is your prediction for the game?

I liked the Gophers’ win against Nebraska last week, but it wasn’t really impressive to me and showed me that EMU can beat this team. I think what we need to do first in order to win is execute our running game to our best capabilities. Minnesota gave up 181 rushing yards to Nebraska last week, and if that happens once again, it might be a very long night for the Gophers. Second, EMU has to use its offensive weapons effectively and efficiently. And I say effectively and efficiently because anytime you play a power five school, a Big Ten team at that, there is very little room for error. I think the last thing is just not getting overconfident and playing a full two halves of football. EMU can’t afford to build a lead heading into halftime and then coming out in the second half on cruise control, not against a Big Ten team, we have to play 100% until the last whistle. If we were to repeat last week's game against Howard, the second half will be much more different, and Minnesota will win big. With that being said, I truly believe the Eagles can walk out of TCF Bank Stadium victorious. 30-24, EMU.

Before every game, I ask a reporter who covers the Gophers upcoming opponent to give us a view from the opponent’s perspective.

I asked Blake McQueary from The Eastern Echo six questions about the Eastern Michigan Eagles

Eastern Michigan travels to Minneapolis on September 9th to take on Gophers at 6:30 pm.

Huge thanks to Blake for giving us his thoughts!

Follow Luke on Twitter: @b_mcqueary6

Follow Noel on Twitter: @n0elthompson

1. Eastern Michigan finished the 2022 season with one of its best seasons in program history, with an overall record of 9-4 and a 5-3 record in conference play. Head coach Chris Creighton is now in his 10th year at the helm. What are the expectations of the Eagles for this year? Where do they stack up in the Mid-American Conference?

I believe the expectations this year for this Eastern Michigan team are nothing less than a MAC championship. Last year they fell just short of that championship berth with a heartbreaking loss to Toledo, and from what I've been told by the players, that loss stung and is still on their minds coming into this season. Personally, I believe the expectation should just be winning, and then everything else will fall into place, as a MAC Championship hasn’t been brought to Ypsilanti since 1987. Is this team capable of winning the MAC? They 100% are, and I have a really good feeling about it this year, no doubt. With that being said, this EMU team stacks up very well against other MAC opponents. We’ve returned numerous starters on offense and defense, with the only key losses really being Jose Ramirez and Sidy Sow. We just have to beat Toledo.

2. The Eagles are coming off a 33-23 victory in week one against Howard. What went right for Eastern Michigan last week? What went wrong?

If you watched the game or paid attention to what happened in EMU’s win over Howard, you absolutely know that our special teams are up there with the best in the country. Along with that, Jaylon Jackson just very well might be the best returner in all of college football. EMU scored twice off of returned kicks, one of those being Jackson, and I'm telling you, there’s going to be plenty more to come. What also stood out to me was the resilience of our defense in not allowing Howard to get into the end zone as much as they should have. Howard had 100+ more yards of total offense than we did, which is the first thing I wasn’t pleased with, but it gives me a sense of balance knowing that they outplayed us on the offensive end but our defense only allowed two touchdowns despite giving up nearly 400 total yards. Now, what I didn’t really like in that game was our second-half fatigue. EMU went into halftime with a 30-9 lead and then gave up 14 unanswered points in the third quarter. We just have to do a better job of executing in all aspects of the game in the second half, because now is when the real football starts.

3. The offense returns a star in running back Samson Evans, who ran for 1,166 yards and five touchdowns last year. Can you tell Gophers fans more about Samson Evans? What makes him a dangerous runner for the Eagles?

Samson Evans is just straight-up an absolute dawg. He’s one of those hard-nosed, gritty, and tough backs that you are going to have a hard time trying to bring to the ground. You’re rarely going to see Samson make a flashy, juke play with the ball, but you are going to see him run through a few people and make a whole lot more people miss some tackles. He’s just one of those guys who is a pound-for-pound back that will make it very difficult for the opposing guys on the other side of him. Probably my favorite thing about Samson is that, whether it’s good or bad, he doesn’t care about any outside noise or what you think of him; he actually just deactivated his social media prior to the season because of all of the noise and love surrounding him heading into this year. He just wants to win football games and will do whatever it takes to achieve those wins.

4. For the defense, they will be without MAC Defensive Player of the Year Jose Ramirez, who is off to the NFL. What would you consider the strength of the Eagles defense? Is there a position group that concerns you?

Losing Jose Ramirez is a drastic loss for this Eagles defense, and it’s basically almost irreplaceable due to what he did at EMU. Jose’s a one-of-a-kind guy. With that being said, I believe this defense has only gotten better and more experienced. Our defensive front is absolutely stacked with guys like Peyton Price, Tim Grant-Randall, and Melvin Swindle II; our linebacker room is outstanding with Joe Sparacio, Chase Kline, and even Luke Cameron; and our secondary is second to none with Kempton Shine, Quentavius Scrandett, T.J Peavy, Cameron Smith, David Carter Jr., even true freshman Daiquan White. We’ve got some dawgs on that end, and I can’t wait to see them maximize their potential. My only concern with this group, like I said, is getting too comfortable in the second half, they just have to stay the course, play a full two halves of football, and they will be lights out.

5. Eastern Michigan’s special teams returned two kickoffs last week for touchdowns. The Eagles seem to have playmakers in all three phases. Could you give us a few impact players that Minnesota fans should know about heading into Saturday?

Like I said, our special teams is one of the best in the country, and kick returner Jaylon Jackson has shown me he’s the best in the nation, so he’s first on the list as far as impact players. A First-Team All-MAC selection for kick returning a season ago, he’s got lightning speed, his cuts are clean and crisp, and if you blink too hard you might miss him. He only stands 5-foot-6 at 168 pounds, but I’m telling you he could care less who you have on the other side because he’s going to meet you in the endzone. Another guy I love to rave about is Third Team All-MAC wideout, Tanner Knue. Knue is one of the best pass catchers and route runners in the MAC, he rarely drops the ball, and his route running is very clean. He’s one of those guys that opposing teams would overlook, but he will quickly make you aware of his talent. At the end of the day, Knue is going to get his. Last but not least, when we talk about major impact players of a game, defensive lineman Peyton Price has to be on the list. Listed at 6-foot-2, 300 pounds, Price is a guy that can erupt your run game and clog the front, making it very challenging for opposing backs. I’m expecting a huge year this season from Peyton Price.

6. The Eagles head into Minneapolis for a night game against the Gophers. Minnesota is coming off an exciting win against Nebraska. Minnesota is currently a 20-point favorite against Eastern Michigan. What do the Eagles need to do to pull off an upset over Minnesota? What is your prediction for the game?

I liked the Gophers’ win against Nebraska last week, but it wasn’t really impressive to me and showed me that EMU can beat this team. I think what we need to do first in order to win is execute our running game to our best capabilities. Minnesota gave up 181 rushing yards to Nebraska last week, and if that happens once again, it might be a very long night for the Gophers. Second, EMU has to use its offensive weapons effectively and efficiently. And I say effectively and efficiently because anytime you play a power five school, a Big Ten team at that, there is very little room for error. I think the last thing is just not getting overconfident and playing a full two halves of football. EMU can’t afford to build a lead heading into halftime and then coming out in the second half on cruise control, not against a Big Ten team, we have to play 100% until the last whistle. If we were to repeat last week's game against Howard, the second half will be much more different, and Minnesota will win big. With that being said, I truly believe the Eagles can walk out of TCF Bank Stadium victorious. 30-24, EMU.

30 points, huh. Amusing.

Thanks for putting this together. The guy sounds quite confident. I think this is a game we need to jump to an early lead and not let them hang around and gain confidence.

Go Gophers!!
Two teams that have played poorly in the third quarter. Maybe whoever comes out after halftime and takes control gets the win. Or maybe the Gophers just dominate all four quarters.

They are not running for 180 yards. Nebby never should have either. If Cody is back they will be lucky to sniff 100.

I think the last thing is just not getting overconfident and playing a full two halves of football. EMU can’t afford to build a lead heading into halftime and then coming out in the second half on cruise control,

Dang!

Per that fan/reporter they lost a few impact players, one D linemen to the NFL which will have at least some effect whether this person wants to acknowledge or not. But, a top tier MAC team particularly with an assumed infusion of power 5 transfers over the last few years (I don’t how many impact players know outside of the RB) can spell trouble for the overconfident or unlucky, or both.

I am interested.

I think Blake has reasons to be confident. While they lost some key players. This is a team that has a track record of playing well in these type of games. They went into Arizona State last year and won. Eastern Michigan has won three of its last four games against Big Ten teams, losing to Wisconsin in 2021 after beating Rutgers in 2017, Purdue in 2018 and Illinois in 2019.

To be honest, I think his outcome is more realistic than any prediction that has the Gophers blowing out Eastern Michigan. I sure do hope I am wrong in that though.

Last edited:

We are playing a team that we can beat if we're not messing around. Having said that, I'm glad we're playing a quality opponent to help us prepare for the season as a whole.

I think Blake has reasons to be confident. While they lost some key players. This is a team that has a track record of playing well in these type of games. They went into Arizona State last year and won. Eastern Michigan has won three of its last four games against Big Ten teams, losing to Wisconsin in 2021 after beating Rutgers in 2017, Purdue in 2018 and Illinois in 2019.

To be honest, I think his prediction is more realistic than any prediction that has the Gophers blowing out Eastern Michigan. I sure do hope I am wrong in that though.
If we can hold Nebraska to 10 and give up 30 to EMU that would be concerning to say the least. They can absolutely win this game but I don't see them dropping 30 on us. For them to win it needs to be an ugly low scoring game similar to what happened when we played BG but to a bit of a lesser degree since this team is better than BG was.

Bottom line in games like this is that if we play well we will be just fine and win. If we make a bunch of mistakes anything can happen.

If we can hold Nebraska to 10 and give up 30 to EMU that would be concerning to say the least. They can absolutely win this game but I don't see them dropping 30 on us. For them to win it needs to be an ugly low scoring game similar to what happened when we played BG but to a bit of a lesser degree since this team is better than BG was.

Bottom line in games like this is that if we play well we will be just fine and win. If we make a bunch of mistakes anything can happen.
Completely agree with you. I should’ve been more specific when I said his prediction is more realistic. What I meant is in my opinion, that his OUTCOME is more realistic than some of the predictions that I am seeing that have the Gophers blowing EMU. Win or loss, MN is not giving up 30 points.

To be honest, I think his prediction is more realistic than any prediction that has the Gophers blowing out Eastern Michigan. I sure do hope I am wrong in that though.
You mean asu that went 3-9, 4-8 Rutgers, 6-7 Purdue, and 6-7 Illinois. If this gopher team is remotely as good as we’re thinking they should win by 2+ scores. EMU has been perennially .500 in the mac with last year being the one exception. This is not a great team and that’s ok. That said, the Gophers need to show up and take care of business

Me thinks if the EMU coach catches wind of this reporters prediction, he may not get as much access as he is used to. Potential bulletin board material. Note that reporter constantly said "we" when talking about EMU. Journalustic no- no. And we wonder where our future Pulitzer Price Winners are coming from.

You mean asu that went 3-9, 4-8 Rutgers, 6-7 Purdue, and 6-7 Illinois. If this gopher team is remotely as good as we’re thinking they should win by 2+ scores. EMU has been perennially .500 in the mac with last year being the one exception. This is not a great team and that’s ok. That said, the Gophers need to show up and take care of business
A 4-8 Bowling Green team beat a 9-4 Minnesota team. I think your last sentence is the main point. If the Gophers don't show up, this game could get interesting because EMU is a decent team. My original point is that I think the Gophers will win but not as huge as some of the predictions I am seeing like 47-14 or 48-9. My prediction is something like 34-10, I still think we have some growing pains to work through on offense.

South Dakota State in 2019 comes to mind with this game. Had we not had the holding call on the SDSU kickoff return and then the interception, we would have lost. That was the season when the Gophers has their best year.
These kids have to come out and play hard for 60 minutes or we fans will be questioning the quality of this team.

It's going to be raining on Saturday. Which team will play better in these conditions?

Sat 09 | Night​

58°

56%
N9 mph
Cloudy with showers. Low 58F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Hopefully, there will be decent fan attendance despite the inclement weather.

Last year they gave up 21 points or more 10 times, I don’t think it will take much more than that to win this one.

30 points, huh. Amusing.

Gophers defense and special teams is 3 points better than Howard…who gave up two special teams TDs. Interesting. Nice that he thinks our offense is 1 point better than Howard.

It's going to be raining on Saturday. Which team will play better in these conditions?

Sat 09 | Night​

58°

56%
N9 mph
Cloudy with showers. Low 58F. Winds N at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
Wait. That's the UNC game right? Joking.

The Emus could be tough. WE better be ready!
Exactly. EMU is likely better than the bottom teams of the BIG. Our running game needs to get rolling. We need to pound the Rock and then pound it some more. We needed 4 TO to beat Nebby. Shouldn't be the case if we take care of business Saturday. ST has to improve and keep their return game under wraps.

27-10 is my pick.

Top Bottom