I asked a Louisiana reporter Six Questions.

NoelarBear

Reaction score

Before every game, I ask a reporter who covers the Gophers upcoming opponent to give us a view from the opponent’s perspective.

I asked Kevin Foote from The Advocate six questions about the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns.

Minnesota hosts Louisiana for their Homecoming game on September 30th.

Huge thanks to Kevin for giving us his thoughts!

Follow Kevin on Twitter: @FooteNote

Follow Noel on Twitter: @N0elthompson

1. Michael Desormeaux enters his second season at the helm of the Ragin’ Cajuns. Taking over for Billy Napier last year, Louisiana finished 7-7 overall and 4-4 in the Sun Belt Conference. The team made a bowl game for the tenth time in 12 years. What were the expectations for this team heading into this year? Do you think they have met those expectations so far?

For the most part, yes, other than the 38-31 loss at ODU in Sun Belt play. Last year’s team was pretty shorthanded from the coaching transition, especially on the offensive line. The expectations are to get back to competing for West Division title, which they won four straight years until last season.

2. The Ragin’ Cajuns enter Saturday's contest with a 4-1 record; their only loss was to Old Dominion back on September 9th. They are currently on a two-game winning streak after beating Buffalo 45-38 last week. What has gone right for Louisiana so far this season? What are some things they need to improve on?

The biggest question going into the season was an inexperienced receiver corps, but several WRs have stepped up and passing game has held its own, even with starting QB going down four plays into the UAB game. The defense has played really well so far this season, leading the nation with 18 sacks. The defensive line is the strength of the team. The other big question is depth at cornerback. ODU’s new passing game – that really stretches the defense – gave the new secondary some issues. They weren’t set on way too many plays and gave up four long TD passes.

3. Redshirt freshman Zeon Chriss made his first career start at quarterback last week in place of injured Ben Wooldridge. What is the status of Wooldridge for the game this Saturday? Who do you see starting, and how are the quarterbacks different from one another?

Wooldridge is not expected back for at least another 3-4 weeks. Chriss expected to start. Wooldridge is the veteran senior leader who can run the whole offense. Wooldridge can run, but Zeon Chriss is a more dynamic rusher who also has a great arm. Wooldridge missed the whole offseason with knee surgery and Chandler Fields (last year’s starter in opener) had an appendectomy, so Chriss took every single snap in the spring.

4. The Ragin’ Cajuns offense is putting up 38 points a game, which is tied for the 23rd best in the country. What are the strengths of the offense, and can you give us a few players that Gophers fans should know about this Saturday?

Good balance – rushing and passing for over 900 yards. The OL is greatly improved over last season. Jacob Kibodi has emerged as a steady RB, but Dre’lyn Washington is the most explosive back. Rob Williams is the top receiver, despite missing a game to injury, and tight end Neal Johnson is a weapon in passing game.

5. On the defensive side of the ball, Louisiana is giving up 337 yards and allowing 27 points per game. What should Minnesota fans know about the Rajin’ Cajuns defense, and who are your impact players on that side of the ball?

Defensive line is the best unit on the team – deep and talented. Overall, defense is very fast – again leads the nation with 18 sacks. LB Kendre’ Gant is off to a great start, along with team leader LB K.C. Ossai. Safeties Courtline Flowers (big hitter) and Tyrone Lewis (heady) have played well.

6. This will be the fourth meeting of these two programs. The teams met three years in a row in the early 2000s, with Minnesota coming away with a victory each time. The Gophers are coming off a devastating loss to Northwestern and are 11-point favorites against Louisiana for their homecoming game. What does Louisiana need to do to pull off an upset victory against Minnesota? What is your prediction for the game this Saturday?

By the way, the Cajuns led 41-3 middle of fourth at UAB and struggled late for a 41-21 win. Against Buffalo last week, UL led 31-7 in third and 45-24 in the fourth, only to need an interception to hold on in final seconds. So Cajuns are familiar with how Minnesota’s feeling.

For Cajuns to win, it’ll need to slow down Gophers when they run right at defense to avoid big time of possession issue, avoid turnovers which has been a real problem this season and somehow finish in the red zone when they do get there. I really haven't settled on one yet, but I'll say 27-24 Gophers off the top of my head.

Thanks for making the effort to do this. Always interesting reading. Great questions.

I say great stuff too. I'll also note there will be great gnashing of teeth even if the Gophers win with that score. Uffda!

Bonus questions if you get the chance:
  • Is it true that Zeon Chriss is the sons of KISS drummer Peter Criss? Has the school considered asking to KISS to play a fundraiser concert?
  • When will Bobby Boucher's number be retired?
  • In posting a 7-7 record last year, did your team improve, disprove, or reprove?
  • How many points will Louisiana spot Minnesota? How big a deficit can your team overcome?

I don't know whether to be amused or concerned - but every week when Noel talks to someone who covers the opposing team, they always seem to predict a close game and several times have predicted a Gopher loss.

maybe it's just bravado, but I get the sense that these teams certainly don't fear the Gophers.

that says something about how the Gophers are viewed by other teams.

Bonus questions if you get the chance:
  • Is it true that Zeon Chriss is the sons of KISS drummer Peter Criss? Has the school considered asking to KISS to play a fundraiser concert?
  • When will Bobby Boucher's number be retired?
  • In posting a 7-7 record last year, did your team improve, disprove, or reprove?
  • How many points will Louisiana spot Minnesota? How big a deficit can your team overcome?
wasn’t Louisiana the team Bobby got kicked off of?

I don't know whether to be amused or concerned - but every week when Noel talks to someone who covers the opposing team, they always seem to predict a close game and several times have predicted a Gopher loss.

maybe it's just bravado, but I get the sense that these teams certainly don't fear the Gophers.

that says something about how the Gophers are viewed by other teams.
Why would any team/reporter “fear” a middle of the pack big ten team? The same goes for every major conference. There’s only 1-3 teams you’re going to say it feels like there’s no chance

Why would any team/reporter “fear” a middle of the pack big ten team? The same goes for every major conference. There’s only 1-3 teams you’re going to say it feels like there’s no chance

maybe fear is the wrong word. let me put it this way - I would much rather have Gopher opponents saying something like "MN is a really good program and we are going to have to play our best to compete with them." a show of respect.

and that is not what we're hearing. even teams like Eastern Michigan and Louisiana-Lafayette see the Gophers as a winnable game.

after 2019, I think a lot of Gopher fans hoped that the program would have advanced beyond that. and yet here we are.

maybe fear is the wrong word. let me put it this way - I would much rather have Gopher opponents saying something like "MN is a really good program and we are going to have to play our best to compete with them." a show of respect.

and that is not what we're hearing. even teams like Eastern Michigan and Louisiana-Lafayette see the Gophers as a winnable game.

after 2019, I think a lot of Gopher fans hoped that the program would have advanced beyond that. and yet here we are.
Football is a funny game and it takes an awful lot longer than that with winning almost all your games convincingly to do that (make a team that's at least halfway decent feel that way). This isn't like we're playing an FCS team or NMSU.

Remember we beat SDSU by 7, late comeback and the catch to beat Fresno St by 3, and took a TD with 13 seconds left to win by 3 vs GSU. I think gone are the days where there are more than about the top 15-20 (with the numbers 11-20 largely rotating yearly) where teams feel that way in a given year. Early season is always full of hope you can compete.

Zeon Chriss is a more dynamic rusher who also has a great arm.

Young QB making second (?) career start and the with the dual threat label may suggest opportunities for turnovers

Top Bottom