Hutton to the Minnesota Daily: There are plans to sue ‘everyone.’

Kaler and Coyle have caused most of the problems

Were they honest with the people at the Holiday Bowl? Could the Holiday Bowl sue them?

This is mostly true. Kaler especially. He is deceitful, dishonest, incompetent, craven, and arrogant.

He needs to go. I believed that around one year ago.

She also said she never wanted anyone to be punished...she just wanted to feel safe. Those are not the words of someone sexually assaulted. If you are violated, it doesn't go away. Her words are more inline with the 5th amendment, the police report, Still's comments etc. She changed her mind and she had regrets is how we got here imo. Then it all just got bigger than life and everybody is looking around corners. It's all this because of how poorly it was handled by the university.

Kaler and Coyle make it worse each time they speak and Coyle hasn't said much except Tracy did it.

I totally agree. As I recall, she originally didn't want to file any charges, but either her mother did it for her. Yes, some rape victims never file charges, but here, it seems like she just made a big mistake because of alcohol, and regretted it. The one line that sounded weird to me was her "I can't handle this many people." I guess people can have their own judgement about that statement, but it just sounds weird to me.

Hutton was interviewed by Channel 5. He will file 10 lawsuits per player in the next 2-3 days. Three main things they're looking for.

1. Injunctive relief to play in bowl game. Should play until hearing complete.

2. Want hearings moved out from under U, since they've already come to conclusion.

3. Complete dismissal of charges.

Also defamation against Coyle, Kaler, and female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hutton was interviewed by Channel 5. He will file 10 lawsuits per player in the next 2-3 days. Three main things they're looking for.

2. Want hearings moved out from under U, since they've already come to conclusion.

that would be superb. now we just need to get the case moved and put in front of a judge in a jurisdiction like say tuscaloosa, alabama or anywhere else there aren't benches full of liberal leaning judges like i assume there likely are in minnesota.

that would be superb. now we just need to get the case moved and put in front of a judge in a jurisdiction like say tuscaloosa, alabama or anywhere else there aren't benches full of liberal leaning judges like i assume there likely are in minnesota.

Or any "hanging judges" either.

Refresh my feeble memory, did the EOAA report leaked ever say the athletes were 'rapists'. And, since when did a private report that was not leaked by the U be unfair to the athletes when it was never going to be released by the U? Shouldn't the blame go to the father-son duo that apparently post the document cause the reputations to completely disintegrate? So, it was an athlete on athlete character assassination. The U isn't responsible for that stunt. Nope.

The report said the alleged victims account of what happened was more credible than any of the student athletes, that the EOAA board accuses the student athletes of having committed "likely" sexual assault against another U of M student, in violation of a section of the code of conduct or lied about their knowledge of the evidence, without much if any information from the other witnesses involved in the Title IX investigation. The representation of the report from the EOAA was from vastly entirely one point of view in my opinion. I disagree that this information was released to the media the way it was by the University and what the suspensions were about because the student athletes had not had a chance to have their appeal heard and due process with their legal counsel. They were not given a fair opportunity to defend themselves against this Autocratic decision. The University was best off saying the student athletes were suspended for violation of team rules and left it at that. They had no business in my opinion of not protecting the confidentiality of these students in releasing to the media what they were being suspended for infinitely. Because of the controversial nature, and confidential nature of these letters and process, the University should not have released the nature of what the suspensions were due to. They would have avoided a lot of controversy and even the team boycott of the bowl game if they had only made that decision public to the media, that the players were being suspended for a violation of team rules and left it at that. This would have protected the need for confidential nature of these types of suspension and the protection of due process to the players and the rights to the appeal hearings in front of the student code of conduct board. The commentary the U of M made by their suspension press release created all of this controversy and bad publicity for all party's. The nature of these suspensions should have never been made public to the media or the general public until after the appeals process in my opinion. Internally they could have communicated the suspensions to football staff and players not suspended with limiting it the title IX investigation and that appeals for the suspended players for violation of team rules would be heard.
The donor letter by President Kaler and the exact reasons for these Title IX driven suspensions should not have been released in a press release other than it was on reccomendation of that investigation process from the EEOA. That is as far as what the University should have announced. President Kaler and AD Coyle error-ed in an egrgious and major way in my opinion by making public the nature of the suspensions. They should have left it at a violation for team rules, and left it at that. This would have been enough.

I wouldn't be concerned about the judges too much. The real victory would be to remove the "hearings" from the U of M.

I don't agree with this, Hutton is doing what any good attorney would do that is doing the best they can in defending his clients. What more could he be asked to do, he is their advocate and seems to be one of the few that is defending these individuals. Even if you do not like it they have a right to due process and an appeal. I am glad someone is willing to fight on their behalf, not everything these players are being painted to be and are accused of is entirely true. They have the right to have their side heard, defend themselves, even under the University's code of conduct.
+ 10

No charges have been filed by the University, nor could they file charges.
The players are suspended during Christmas break until they can meet at the next level of hearing. So, there is no need for a hearing before the next semester begins.
The law does not allow for the hearings to not occur by the University committee process as the law stipulates that the hearing be done by the University for Title IX hearings. The judge will not be allowed to create space for something the law does not permit.

I don't think Hutton is going to get very far.

Before defamation can be successfully proved in court, there has to be defamation. Neither Kaler or Coyle have said anything that defamed any of the athletes in any way, at any time. Names were never provided or mentioned that included specified charges. And, the EEOA report does not use anybody's names. So, how did reputations become harmed. That was not done by executives at the U. It was done by the defendants and their families.

hutton needs to get a move on, if he is being serious and not just pea-cocking here. with christmas coming (judges aren't as likely to be readily available to hear motions) will be closed and team leaving for SD on 12/23 in reality these motions would need to not just be "filed" but actually heard by say wednesday or thursday next week at the latest if in fact he were to somehow pull all that off in front of a judge and get injuctive relief awarded (hopefully that actually is possible here.....anyone???)

of course the players involved could get to SD on their own as late as say 12/25 (maybe 12/26) if hutton's gambit here were in fact pulled off, but he needs to stop saying he is going to file lawsuits and get them filed already (that's selfish me talking who doesn't think a "proper" level of due process with the way the U trotted this whole thing out was afforded to any of the players involved.....regardless of how you "morally" feel about some of their actions.)

hutton needs to get a move on, if he is being serious and not just pea-cocking here. with christmas coming and team leaving for SD on 12/23 in reality these motions would need to not just be "filed" but actually heard by say wednesday or thursday next week at the latest if in fact he were to somehow pull all that off in front of a judge and get injuctive relief awarded (hopefully that actually is possible here.....anyone???)

of course the players involved could get to SD on their own as late as say 12/25 (maybe 12/26) if hutton's gambit here were in fact pulled off, but he needs to stop saying he is going to file lawsuits and get them filed already (that's selfish me talking who doesn't think a "proper" level of due process with the way the U trotted this whole thing out was afforded to any of the players involved.....regardless of how you "morally" feel about some of their actions.)

He can't file them until tomorrow when the courthouse opens.

Injunctive relief requires irreparable harm. Which is the opportunity to play in the Holiday Bowl?

If she was truly raped and assaulted why would she have been fine with the results the 1st time? I believe she said she was happy with it and ready to move on? just find that very interesting.

She wasnt fine with the results the first time, thats when she asked for a restraining order...Then the two sides came to an agreement, one which still held a restraining order.

The report said the alleged victims account of what happened was more credible than any of the student athletes, that the EOAA board accuses the student athletes of having committed "likely" sexual assault against another U of M student, in violation of a section of the code of conduct or lied about their knowledge of the evidence, without much if any information from the other witnesses involved in the Title IX investigation. The representation of the report from the EOAA was from vastly entirely one point of view in my opinion. I disagree that this information was released to the media the way it was by the University and what the suspensions were about because the student athletes had not had a chance to have their appeal heard and due process with their legal counsel. They were not given a fair opportunity to defend themselves against this Autocratic decision. The University was best off saying the student athletes were suspended for violation of team rules and left it at that. They had no business in my opinion of not protecting the confidentiality of these students in releasing to the media what they were being suspended for infinitely. Because of the controversial nature, and confidential nature of these letters and process, the University should not have released the nature of what the suspensions were due to. They would have avoided a lot of controversy and even the team boycott of the bowl game if they had only made that decision public to the media, that the players were being suspended for a violation of team rules and left it at that. This would have protected the need for confidential nature of these types of suspension and the protection of due process to the players and the rights to the appeal hearings in front of the student code of conduct board. The commentary the U of M made by their suspension press release created all of this controversy and bad publicity for all party's. The nature of these suspensions should have never been made public to the media or the general public until after the appeals process in my opinion. Internally they could have communicated the suspensions to football staff and players not suspended with limiting it the title IX investigation and that appeals for the suspended players for violation of team rules would be heard.
The donor letter by President Kaler and the exact reasons for these Title IX driven suspensions should not have been released in a press release other than it was on reccomendation of that investigation process from the EEOA. That is as far as what the University should have announced. President Kaler and AD Coyle error-ed in an egrgious and major way in my opinion by making public the nature of the suspensions. They should have left it at a violation for team rules, and left it at that. This would have been enough.

What was said in the donor letters? Were names used? Did facts of the hearings be expressed? Or, was it general in nature? In general, what you state has some merit if there was disclosure. Otherwise, a letter to donors is of little value.

I kinda of hope they do sue the victim, if they bring a suit in court both sides will then be able to confront one another and hopefully the truth will come out, the idea of due process would present itself one way or the other.

I reread the press release to the public and the letter to the players and no mention of the players names or any mention of the reasons for player suspensions were given other than very general and very vague reasons 'due to team rules'. The press conference was also very vague. I am certain donor letters would cover similar patterns and language. They all look like very carefully scripted statements. Where is the damning evidence against Kaler and Coyle? I don't see the loaded gun against them. I don't see the issue raised by either of them. They seem above reproach except for some lines stating otherwise by posters on GH that are vaguely worded and unspecified.

A lot of what Hutton is saying is just bluster. He can sue but remember what happened to OJ in the civil trial. His grandstanding has made this situation worse for his clients.

1. Not going to happen
2. Not going to happen
3. Not going to happen

Defamation against Coyle and Kaler may go through, but the victim reported the incident to the U prior to the restraining orders, and then gave her statement when interviewed. I don't think that really falls under defamation since she was not part of the releasing of information in the past week.

When E.F. Hutton talks, people listen. When Lee Hutton talks, you hear "Yakety Sax" in the background.

The lawsuits like every legal proceeding will hinge on the details and what procedures were followed and not followed, what was said and not said, etc. Ive linked to a fairly comprehensive database of cases and listed the most recent.

Over 130 lawsuits by students accused of, or expelled for, sexual assault have been filed against colleges and universities. These lawsuits have alleged breach of contract, sex discrimination, due process infringements, and other violations. In addition, numerous persons claiming to be victims of sexual assault have prevailed in complaints and lawsuits alleging Title IX violations. A listing of recent cases and documents can be seen HERE. The totality of lawsuits filed by men and women alleging inadequate and biased college proceedings argues that campus-based adjudication systems are inherently flawed.

LISTING OF COURT DECISIONS

The cases listed below meet these three criteria:

College student was accused of sexual misconduct
Student filed a lawsuit against the university regarding its involvement in the case
Court of law issued a ruling

In approximately seven out of 10 cases, the court ruled at least partly in favor of the accused student, or allowed the case to proceed because the pleadings were sufficient to state a cause of action. In many cases, the ruling was followed by a confidential out-of-court settlement. More documentation about the lawsuits can be found in the Database of Due Process Lawsuits Against Colleges and Universities. The cases are arranged in reverse chronological order:

2016:

Brandeis University, Waltham, MA: Following a 21-month long same-sex relationship, John Doe was accused of “numerous inappropriate nonconsensual sexual interactions,” leading to a Disciplinary Warning with no suspension, and a notion in his educational record of sexual misconduct. Doe filed a lawsuit alleging breach of contract and other violations. In a wide-ranging opinion, the Massachusetts District Court found for the student, ruling that “Brandeis appears to have substantially impaired, if not eliminated, an accused student’s right to a fair and impartial process.”

Brown University, Providence, RI: One day after a female student filed an allegation of sexual assault, the university ordered the male student’s “immediate removal from campus for an indefinite period of time.” The Rhode Island District Court upheld the accused student’s complaint with regard to erroneous outcome under Title IX, breach of contract, breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and declaratory judgment.

Brown University, Providence, RI: A female student alleged that a non-consensual sexual encounter occurred during the 2014-2015 academic year. Relying on the the affirmative consent policy adopted by the school for the subsequent 2015-2016 academic year, the hearing panel ruled the respondent to be responsible. The Rhode Island District Court ruled against the University and ordered a re-adjudication of the case, noting “When combined with other errors set forth herein, it is clear that Doe’s contract rights were violated.”

University of Cincinnati: A female student accused two male students of sexual assault. A three-year suspension was imposed on Doe I, while Doe II faced disciplinary probation. The students filed a lawsuit alleging lack of due process and sex discrimination. The Southern Ohio District Court upheld the university’s motion to dismiss, writing “Even accepting Plaintiffs’ allegations as true, they received constitutional due process protections.”

Columbia University, New York, NY: Paul Nungesser was accused of rape by fellow student Emma Sulkowicz. The man was found innocent of wrongdoing by the university, and the local DA declined to pursue the case. Nungesser then sued the university for Title IX violations, alleging it failed to protect him from a hostile environment created by Sulkowicz’ highly publicized mattress protest. The Southern District of New York ruled against Nungesser, opining, “[t]he mere fact that sexual harassment proceedings have as their subject sexual behavior and speech does not itself implicate sex discrimination.”

Cornell University, Ithaca, NY: Following an allegation of non-consensual sexual contact, Vito Prasad was suspended for a two-year period. Prasad filed a lawsuit against the university claiming breach of contract, lack of due process, gender bias, and other violations. Highlighting the shortcomings of the university’s single-investigator model, the New York District Court ruled the plaintiff’s erroneous outcome claim could proceed.

George Mason University, Fairfax, VA: A male student involved in a consensual BDSM relationship was found responsible for violating two student conduct regulations, including one pertaining to sexual misconduct, and was expelled. The student filed a lawsuit, claiming violation of his due process and free speech rights. In a far-ranging analysis, the Virginia District Court ruled against the university’s motion to dismiss, noting that the expulsion of a student for no f a student for non-academic reasons represents the deprivation of a “protected liberty interest.” The Court explained that “controversial and sometimes offensive ideas and viewpoints are central to the educational mission of universities. It follows that university students cannot thrive without a certain thickness of skin that allows them to engage with expressions that might cause ‘distress’ or ‘discomfort.'”

Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta: Accused of sexual misconduct, a male student was expelled from the university. The student sued, alleging due process violations and sex discrimination. In 2015 the Northern Georgia District Court denied the request for a preliminary injunction, although the judge indicated he was “greatly troubled” that the university’s adjudication procedures were “very far from an ideal representation of due process.” In 2016 the Northern Georgia District Court denied the school’s motion to dismiss the student’s due process and Title IX claims.

Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis: Without any hearing, Jeremiah Marshall was suspended on accusations of sexual assault. Nearly two months later a Panel conducted a hearing and ruled to expel Marshall from the university. Marshall filed a lawsuit alleging multiple violations of due process, free speech, and sex discrimination. The Southern Indiana District Court allowed Marshall’s Title IX claim to go forward.

James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA: John Doe, accused of sexual misconduct, was found not responsible by the hearing board. The complainant appealed and the decision of the hearing board was set aside, resulting in a five and a half year suspension. The Western Virginia District Court ruled that the university “denied Doe a ‘meaningful hearing,'” thus violating his property interests.

University of Kentucky, Lexington: Found responsible of sexual misconduct by a university hearing panel, John Doe took the case to the Appeals Board, which overturned the decision and ordered a re-hearing. The hearing panel reached the same finding, leading to a second appeal, and a second overturning. Seeking to avoid a third hearing, John Doe filed a lawsuit. The Eastern Kentucky District Court ruled the court did not have legal jurisdiction over the case because the university’s sexual misconduct hearing was an official “state proceeding … akin to a criminal prosecution.”

La Sierra University, Riverside, CA: John Doe, an international student, claimed that the university sought to expel him and to revoke his student visa without conducting any hearing, identifying the witnesses, or disclosing any evidence to him. The Superior Court of the State of California, Riverside granted the Doe’s motion for a stay of the university’s administrative action, allowing him to enroll in classes for the 2016 Fall term.

Oklahoma City University: The university decided to expel student Samuel Ritter for violating its sexual misconduct policy. Ritter filed a lawsuit alleging violation of his due process rights and damages for breach of contract. In granting the motion to prevent the university from expelling Ritter until the case can be further litigated, the District Court of Western Oklahoma wrote, “The court recognizes that colleges must take seriously allegations of sexual assault…Nonetheless, universities must ensure that the rights of both the accused and the accuser are protected.”

Pennsylvania State University, State College: A student was suspended on allegations of non-consensual sexual contact. In seeking an emergency restraining order, the student, a Syrian national, explained that he feared losing his student visa and being forced to return to war-torn Syria. Noting the “inadequacy” of the university’s procedures, the Middle District of Pennsylvania District Court granted the student’s request. Subsequently the District Court dismissed the case, noting that “the University will institute material changes to its disciplinary proceedings as applied to its entire student body and will subsequently expunge the results of the specific disciplinary proceedings at issue in this case.”

Savannah State University, Georgia: Accused of sexual harassment, Joseph Roberts was indefinitely suspended without prior notice or hearing. Roberts filed a lawsuit alleging seven causes of action. Noting that “Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 8(a)(2) requires that a pleading contain a ‘short and plain statement of the claim showing that the pleader is entitled to relief’,” the Northern Georgia District Court granted the university’s motion to dismiss.

University of Southern California, Los Angeles: Following a group sexual encounter, John Doe was found responsible of sexual misconduct because he “encouraged or permitted” other students to slap a female student on the buttocks. Claiming he was not afforded a fair hearing, Doe petitioned the Superior Court, which rejected his claim. Doe then appealed to the California Second Appellate District Court, which ruled in the Doe’s favor, noting, “it is not too heavy a burden to require that students facing disciplinary action be informed of the factual basis for the charges against them.” The university then filed a petition for review, which was denied by the California Supreme Court. Justice Audrey Collins explained, the “SJACS [office of Student Judicial Affairs and Community Standards] relied on information never revealed to John, and the Appeals Panel suspended John on a different theory than SJACS. John was not provided any information about the factual basis of the charges against him, he was not allowed to access any evidence used to support those accusations unless he actively sought it through a written request, and he was not provided with any opportunity to appear directly before the decision-making panel to rebut the evidence presented against him.”

University of Southern California, Los Angeles: John Doe and Jane Doe were engaged in a sporadic romantic relationship. In December 2015 she sought to re-establish the relationship, and also threatened to report him to the university for sexual assault. John declined her request. During the ensuring months she continued to harass John. In March 2016 John asked the USC Title IX Coordinator to issue a no-contact directive against Jane for harassment, threats, and stalking. In an apparent retaliatory response, Jane filed a sexual assault complaint against John, resulting in a decision to expel him. The Los Angeles Superior Court issued a stay order, allowing John to continue to attend classes while the court considers his appeal.

2015:

http://www.saveservices.org/sexual-assault/court-decisions/

Sometimes victims of sexual assault decide not to press charges because of the consequences of pressing charges.

I posted this elsewhere, but please read the attached about a particular case at the University: http://www.startribune.com/after-au...e-her-rapist-u-student-fought-back/398051931/

And for anyone who believes the justice system is severely stacked against the accused, please read the following from that article: "What she didn’t know was that there had been more than 1,000 sex assaults reported since 2010 to the Aurora Center, the school’s rape prevention and victim advocacy department, according to a Star Tribune review of the center’s reports. Yet, according to the Aurora Center’s director, Katie Eichele, the total number of rapists who had been prosecuted was zero."

As a man, I have never, ever been in situation in which I felt at risk of sexual assault. But I can try to sympathize with a victim, who in order to seek justice must bear an intrusive physical examination, the high likelihood of ugly character attacks and frankly having some people believe, no matter what the outcome, that she contributed it. Under those circumstances I do not feel qualified to judge any decision the victim makes about what to do next.

This is not a comment on the guilt or innocence of the players in this case. But I think we should all be hesitant to say what a victim of sexual assault should or would do. Just as we should expect due process for anyone who is accused.

Thank you for posting this. It made me cry. I have no idea what actually happened with our football team and the accuser, but I'm certain women are being raped in numbers we can't fathom and their rapists are walking around unscathed. Also, I'm angry that the rapist in the article you provided only got 6 years. That tells you all you need to know about how lawmakers don't understand or care what rape does to women. Rapists should get life in prison or, better yet, put to death.

2015:

Agnes Scott College, Decatur, GA: Amanda Hartley, a student at the University of Tennessee, was criminally charged with the sexual assault of a female student at Agnes Scott College, arrested, and incarcerated. It was later determined that all allegations were fabrications. Hartley filed suit against the College. The College’s motion to dismiss was denied by the trial court. The trial court decision was appealed to the Georgia Court of Appeals and then to the Supreme Court. In 2015 the Court of Appeals reversed itself, allowing the lawsuit against the College to proceed.

Appalachian State University, Boone, NC: Based on a sexual harassment complaint, Lanston Tanyi was banned from playing collegiate football. Tanyi filed a complaint alleging sex discrimination and due process violations. The Western North Carolina District Court allowed the due process claim to proceed, finding that “students at public universities maintain protected property interests in their continued enrollment,” and that “tudents facing school discipline also possess a liberty interest in their reputations.” The case was later settled for $100,000.

Augustana University, Sioux Falls, SD: Koh Tsuruta was charged with sexual assault both criminally and at the college. The college suspended him, pending the outcome of its internal investigation. The student requested the college to stay its internal proceeding, pending the outcome of the criminal case, which was refused by the college. The South Dakota District Court denied his request for a preliminary injunction.

University of California, Davis: Without holding a hearing, the university suspended a male student on an allegation of sexual misconduct, and ordered him to stay out of the entire city of Davis. The Yolo County Superior Court granted a motion to stay the interim suspension, ruling “due process has been completely obliterated by the University’s failure to get this case adjudicated…if anyone has failed the alleged victim in this case, [it] is the University.”

University of California-San Diego: A male student was suspended based on an allegation on non-consensual sex. Concluding “the hearing against petitioner was unfair,” the Superior Court of California found serious procedural flaws in the university’s handling of the case including its reliance on the single investigator model: “It was the panel’s responsibility to determine whether it was more likely than not that petitioner violated the policy and not defer to an investigator who was not even present to testify at the hearing. ‘Due process requires that a hearing…be a real one, not a sham or pretense.’”

University of Cincinnati, OH: Two women filed charges with the university and local police that they had been raped by Ethan Peloe. Even though the grand jury refused to indict Peloe, the university decided to dismiss him. The Court of Common Pleas granted a temporary restraining order enjoining the university from “continued disciplinary actions.” The case was removed to the Southern Ohio District Court, which granted the university’s motion to dismiss.

Columbia University, New York, NY: A male student was accused of nonconsensual sexual activity and suspended for one and a half years. He sued, alleging sex discrimination. The Southern New York District Court granted the university’s motion to dismiss.

Iowa State University, Ames: Yempabou Palo was suspended from the ISU basketball team in 2012 during the proceedings of criminal charges of sexual assault against fellow student H.B. The criminal charges were dropped in early 2013. The allegations were also considered by the university’s Administrative Law Judge, who ruled the accusations were “not founded.” The decision was appealed to the ISU president and then the Iowa Board of Regents, which ruled in late 2013 that Palo would not be allowed to participate in intercollegiate athletics. In 2014 the Iowa District Court stayed the Board of Regents’ decision. In 2015 the Iowa Court of Appeals dismissed the appeal by the Board of Regents, saying the case was moot because Palo had already graduated.

Knox College, Galesburg, IL: Following an allegation of sexual misconduct, Jack Blank was suspended for two terms. Blank filed a lawsuit alleging breach of contract and sex discrimination. The Illinois District Court ruled it did not have jurisdiction over the breach of conduct claim, and granted the college’s motion to dismiss for the sex discrimination claim.

Miami University, OH: Accused of sexual assault by Alexis Prenzler, Matthew Sahm was expelled from the university. Sahm sued the university, alleging Title IX and other violations. The Southern Ohio District Court granted the university’s motion to dismiss.

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor: Drew Sterrett alleged numerous due process violations by the university. The Michigan District Court held that the university’s procedures may have violated the plaintiff’s due process right to adequate notice, and his due process rights for denying him a hearing after he had specifically requested one.

Middlebury College, VT: Following a decision to expel the plaintiff, the male student filed a breach of contract action, alleging “Middlebury’s investigation and decision were biased, unfair, and discriminatory and in violation of Middlebury’s policies.” The Vermont District Court issued an emergency preliminary injunction allowing the plaintiff to attend fall classes.

Salisbury University, MD: Suspended from the university, a male student filed a Title IX complaint alleging his suspension was motivated by his gender. A few months later he reapplied to the university. During the reapplication process, the university opened a Title IX investigation into the student’s alleged involvement in a sexual assault which the university had investigated years earlier without charging the student. The student filed a lawsuit against the university alleging retaliatory violations of Title IX and other charges. The Maryland District Court rejected the university’s motion to dismiss.

University of Southern California, Los Angeles: Football player Bryce Dixon was expelled on an allegation of sexual assault. The Los Angeles Superior Court reversed the expulsion, ruling that the university’s adjudication process was fundamentally unfair to accused students.

University of South Florida, Tampa: A male student was suspended based on allegations of sexual assault by his ex-girlfriend. The student brought a due process and a Title IX claim against the university. The Florida District Court rejected his due process claim on the grounds that it was premature to sue the university for lack of due process without first exhausting the university’s appeal procedures; and disallowed the Title IX claim because the student had not demonstrated intentional discrimination.

University of Tennessee-Chattanooga: Accused of rape, nationally ranked wrestler Corey Mock was precluded from participation in collegiate athletics. The Chancery Court of Davidson County, Tennessee noted that the university’s affirmative consent standard was unfair because the rule “erroneously shifted the burden of proof” to the defendant, robbing the student of his due process rights, and that “requiring the accused to affirmatively provide consent… is flawed and untenable if due process is to be afforded to the accused.”

Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, NY: Two and a half weeks after a complaint of sexual misconduct was filed, Peter Yu was expelled. Yu sued the College on charges of sex discrimination and other state law causes of action. The Southern New York District Court granted the College’s motion for summary judgement.
Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA: Two students had a sexual encounter. The female student later attended a presentation which advanced the idea that “regret equals rape.” She then filed a sexual assault complaint against the male student, resulting in his expulsion. Ruling in favor of the student’s Title IX claim, the Western Virginia District Court concluded the university’s bare-bones adjudication processes served to “railroad” students who are wrongly accused of sexual assault.
2014:

Thank you for posting this. It made me cry. I have no idea what actually happened with our football team and the accuser, but I'm certain women are being raped in numbers we can't fathom and their rapists are walking around unscathed. Also, I'm angry that the rapist in the article you provided only got 6 years. That tells you all you need to know about how lawmakers don't understand or care what rape does to women. Rapists should get life in prison or, better yet, put to death.

What does that have to do with this case?

What does that have to do with this case?
He posted an interesting article that i was commenting on. Youre right, it has nothing to do with this case. And i repeat, i have no clue what actually happened in "our" case. I wasnt there.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I took it as more emotional posturing about needing to do "something" even if that includes trampling on someone's rights. I apologize if in error. Believe me, there is a lot of hurt, injustice, and horrors of all types in this world and giving up on constitutional rights is not going to solve them. New problems are created. Rights come with responsibilities and freedom with risk risk for all parties.

I took it as more emotional posturing about needing to do "something" even if that includes trampling on someone's rights. I apologize if in error. Believe me, there is a lot of hurt, injustice, and horrors of all types in this world and giving up on constitutional rights is not going to solve them. New problems are created. Rights come with responsibilities and freedom with risk risk for all parties.

I agree with everything you say. Yet, it still depresses me to know how difficult it is to prove out a rape case. Think of all the "walking rapists" out there. I find life to be so sad, which is why I try to ignore it all. I'm defeated.

one thing i am almost certain of is that the political agenda driven leadership in the EOAA office (i.e. kimberly hewitt) strategically held onto releasing their "report" as long as they could so as to ensure it would coincide with interfering with the bowl game. and to also ensure the accused players would not be able to have any sort of formal hearing via the U of M hearing process until after the bowl game sometime in january.

the timing of when kimberly hewitt in EOAA released her kangaroo court "report" was not mere coincidence.

I agree with everything you say. Yet, it still depresses me to know how difficult it is to prove out a rape case. Think of all the "walking rapists" out there. I find life to be so sad, which is why I try to ignore it all. I'm defeated.

It is not a perfect world and you are right there are terrible people among us. What we cannot forget is that we may be the one unlawfully accused for any great number of reasons and that is a tragedy as well.

It is not a perfect world and you are right there are terrible people among us. What we cannot forget is that we may be the one unlawfully accused for any great number of reasons and that is a tragedy as well.

+1

Again, I wholeheartedly agree.

And, it just now occurred to me that lots of men must realize how easy it is to get away with rape. It's worth the the risk I imagine. They probably have less than a 10% chance of going to prison. Perhaps less.

Top Bottom