Huskers TE arrested.

Very sad story, the pathos of ruining your life for stealing trash and not being smart enough to realize a store like that is likely to have an alarm system.
Strange dichotomy in your comment. You equally lament that he ruined his life but also that he is not a smarter criminal.

Yikes. Not sure what goes through a young man’s head where he’s a five star recruit to Georgia, transfers to still “big time” Neb … but you think you need to steal $1600 worth of stuff from a store???

How??

I realize, some of the places some of these recruits come from are steeped and buried in poverty. It’s just a different upbringing. I have no idea if that applies here. And/or if this is a mental health thing.

Hope he gets help he needs. Wouldn’t count on playing this year.
He is not steeped and buried in poverty. He is encased in privilege.

Aug 3: 2nd-leading tackler Myles Farmer enters Transfer Portal

Aug 12: Expected WR1 Zavier Betts leaves team

Aug 29: Former 5-star TE Arik Gilbert arrested on burglary chargers
Quite a tumble over the years for Gilbert. He was rated among the top 10 players in the nation coming out of HS. Many of the others in that top-10 cohort (his year) are already in the NFL, having starred in college and declared early. Mental health, stupidity, bad upbringing, or just bad luck? Who knows. Most Nebraska fans have quickly moved on from Gilbert. It was a bet worth taking (because of Gilbert’s physical promise), but ultimately a lost bet.

Aug 3: 2nd-leading tackler Myles Farmer enters Transfer Portal

Aug 12: Expected WR1 Zavier Betts leaves team

Aug 29: Former 5-star TE Arik Gilbert arrested on burglary chargers
Is it April or August that is the cruelest month?

semi-serious question:

in states where recreational pot is legal - would a college athlete be able to sign an NIL deal with a dispensary? Or a liquor store for that matter?

as long as the athlete is not using any substances that would violate team rules, in theory he or she should be free to sign any endorsement deals they want. another idea - a player from UNLV does an NIL deal with a legal brothel. if it's a legal business, why not?
The University of Minnesota's NIL policy precludes several types of NIL deals, including those for "Adult Entertainment Products or Services, Sports Gambling, Alcoholic Beverages or Related Products, Tobacco Products, NCAA Banned Substances (and) Weapons."

In addition to that, even in states with laws permitting recreational marijuana, it remains illegal under federal law. So those aren't really "legal" businesses, they are businesses relying on the likelihood that the feds aren't going to enforce the federal law in jurisdictions that do not want the law enforced.

Last edited:

I used to have a coworker who often said "you can't fix stupid".

Naive question: Are vapes addictive? Arrested twice recently for stealing mass quantities of vapes?? Are vapes useful as a delivery system for other things? WTF?

S
Naive question: Are vapes addictive? Arrested twice recently for stealing mass quantities of vapes?? Are vapes useful as a delivery system for other things? WTF?
Some vapes have nicotine I believe

Listen Gramps it's obvious you are probably a baby boomer, so you know nothing about this latest technology. Now me, born in 19ahhhhh. Wait. Never mind.

I quit smoking about 10 years ago but still get my nicotine using a vape system. Many people use a vape system to "smoke" pot. Lots of kids vape with nothing in the juice at all.

My guess is he was stealing to resell, not use. Or maybe he needs nicotine, like me. If he was stealing cannibis juice, i gotta believe the story would say so, and dispensaries today all feature pretty hefty security. I doubt it was that.

Correct, you sell them to kids who can't buy them legally.

Just really sad, this whole thing. Guy needs help.

I refuse to believe, especially as a 5* recruit, that he didn't reasonably have all the money he "needed" through NIL deals at Georgia and Nebraska. There has to be a (strong) desire to do this, not necessarily for the money. The thrill?

Listen Gramps it's obvious you are probably a baby boomer, so you know nothing about this latest technology. Now me, born in 19ahhhhh. Wait. Never mind.
I'm zeroing in on your generational cohort: GH name is Dean Martin, backwards. That probably places you close to my age, ... though the Gophers have been breaking my heart since before 1974!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Top Bottom