Huntington Bank Stadium

Once again I will put in my advocacy for calling it the Brick House. Fleck said he wants to build a bridge to this program's past, let's do that with the stadium, too. The exterior captures that name well, and it sounds strong.

Other stadiums go by nicknames, the Swamp, Death Valley, the Horse Shoe. Let's build up the identity of the stadium beyond the naming sponsor.

As I've said earlier, the criminal part wasn't selling the naming rights to the New Brickhouse.

It's that Joel Maturi let TCF have the naming rights for only $35 million over a 20 year deal. Same way his guarantee games pretty much bankrolled the Dakota schools move to D1. If you're going to sell out, sell out!

I don't mind the new name, but that green burns my retinas.
I wouldn't mind nearly as much if that logo was in maroon and gold. If they were to use maroon and gold, all this would get from me is a shoulder shrug. The name isn't ideal, but it's not like it's the KFC Yum! Center. I will also say, WTF is with the clip art stadium in the logo? It looks like a high school kid made a logo using MS Paint with the preloaded clip art.

I don't mind the new name, but that green burns my retinas.
Yeah they uh ... wtf?

Deals should include some sort of consideration for "lets find a way to make your logo not clash with everything ... most of our games are after labor day, no white pants, etc"

(looks at wisconsin)
The Kohl center would like a word...you can argue semantics, but when you have a business named after yourself, you absolutely are using your name as advertising in cases like this.

So, we're In The Hunt? I doubt that will catch on.

The logo is poor, should redesign it to fit. And I know their color is green, but they should use a Maroon and Gold version for their logo on the stadium.

Gross. At least we'll get to be The Bank again when all banks eventually consolidate into one globobank, The Bank.

Much ado about nothing, but this IS Gopherhole.

To those who rant, open your checkbook and do something about it. Free TV is gone forever, and corporate sponsorship is a necessity. If these are your biggest worries, close your eyes.

FYI, its Huntington's corporate logo. Why would sponsor of the stadium not feature it? It is what it is.

Last edited:

Changing their logo seems unlikely. They share the name with Huntingtons Disease.
They advertise overdraft checking on the radio. Last time you carried a checkbook or even saw someone else with one? They seem overall clueless.

Don't be so literal. It's commonplace. This article is from 2014 and the list was already extensive. https://businessofcollegesports.com/data/naming-rights-deals/

Even UMD, Mankato St., and Bemidji St. have corporate sponsors on their hockey arenas.
This thread is about a football stadium and that's what my comment regarded. Most around the country don't have corporate sponsors.

Basketball arenas definitely have more corporate involvement.

BTW: Don't give two craps about hockey.

Changing their logo seems unlikely. They share the name with Huntingtons Disease.
They advertise overdraft checking on the radio. Last time you carried a checkbook or even saw someone else with one? They seem overall clueless.

They have cards now that you can swipe and save in websites and become overdrawn even easier.

It is odd how the industry still calls them "checking accounts"

They have cards now that you can swipe and save in websites and become overdrawn even easier.

It is odd how the industry still calls them "checking accounts"
Banking rules / laws are like that.

Gotta get the green off the logo!!!!!
632_550x550_Front_Color-White.jpg

This thread is about a football stadium and that's what my comment regarded. Most around the country don't have corporate sponsors.

Basketball arenas definitely have more corporate involvement.

BTW: Don't give two craps about hockey.

It seems like basketball tends to trend more toward building a new arena whereas football tends to remodel or update their existing structure. Of course there are exceptions, but generally speaking, I think football stadiums tend to be a bit more historical than basketball arenas.

If any new football stadiums are built going forward, there's a pretty good bet it will have a corporate name attached to it, unless there is a big time booster involved. We almost went that route with T. Denny , but the U (perhaps rightfully so) didn't want to play his demand game.

When Huntington merged with TCF, they could have (and should have) trademarked their logo in many color combinations, not limited to maroon & gold.

That would give them more opportunities for affinity cards & accounts. In addition to having a maroon logo on Huntington Bank Stadium.

Top Bottom