Hunter Friesen to accept walk-on offer.

I think he has a legitimate chance at becoming at becoming a decent WR for us. I've only seen Phil Nelson play once last year and I wrote it about it on GH. But I also left really impressed with Friesen. He is pretty fast, has great hands and made a lot of tough plays. I've only seen him play once and it was against South Saint Paul who probably isn't really used to defending a team like Mankato West, but I thought SSP did a nice job, Friesen and Nelson just kept making plays.

He is small and he injured his leg pretty bad in their following game against Bemidiji. Hopefully he can come back to 100% and help our squad.

I think he has a legitimate chance at becoming at becoming a decent WR for us. I've only seen Phil Nelson play once last year and I wrote it about it on GH. But I also left really impressed with Friesen. He is pretty fast, has great hands and made a lot of tough plays. I've only seen him play once and it was against South Saint Paul who probably isn't really used to defending a team like Mankato West, but I thought SSP did a nice job, Friesen and Nelson just kept making plays.

He is small and he injured his leg pretty bad in their following game against Bemidiji. Hopefully he can come back to 100% and help our squad.

Thanks Bob!

I watched the Mankato West-Bemidji game online and I remember thinking that he looked like a decent player, perhaps a borderline I-AA player. I remember him going out due to injury, but I didn't realize it was a broken leg. Is he really that small? He looked around 5'10", maybe 170-175. On the smaller side for sure, but not excessively so from what I saw.

This thread shows that it's a slow Friday in Gopherhole.

I think he will have a shot to play corner if he can't make it as a WR for the gophers. His last two seaons at Mankato West he was a 1st team all state Defensive Back. He sizes up at 5'10 170 pounds and has great speed.

I watched the Mankato West-Bemidji game online and I remember thinking that he looked like a decent player, perhaps a borderline I-AA player. I remember him going out due to injury, but I didn't realize it was a broken leg. Is he really that small? He looked around 5'10", maybe 170-175. On the smaller side for sure, but not excessively so from what I saw.

Maybe he's 5'10", I only saw him play once in person. I thought he seemed a little shorter than that (5'8") but I was at the game and it would be impossible to tell.

Yeah, that's what I thought, I thought he looked like a 1-AA player which means he's a good walk on for our program.

This thread shows that it's a slow Friday in Gopherhole.

A 10 post thread about a kid walking onto the Gophers football team indicates that it is slow in here? There is going to be 5-8 walk-ons / former walk-ons who will have a pretty big impact on our team next year (Rallis, Hill, Mottla, Christensen, Bak, the K, Botticelli).

It will be interesting to see if he ends up at CB or WR.

I found this on ESPNHS from October 19, 2011:
Hunter Friesen, Mankato West, WR/DB

Friesen is like the Darrelle Revis of Minnesota high school football — throw that way at your own risk. His side of the field is not often targeted, so the senior has had to find other ways to contribute on the football field. The result? Friesen currently leads the state in touchdown receptions with 14 — one more than former cover and Vanderbilt pledge Andre McDonald. His play is one of the reasons the Scarlets are undefeated this year.

I found this on ESPNHS:

Friesen is like the Darrelle Revis of Minnesota high school football — throw that way at your own risk. His side of the field is not often targeted, so the senior has had to find other ways to contribute on the football field. The result? Friesen currently leads the state in touchdown receptions with 14 — one more than former cover and Vanderbilt pledge Andre McDonald. His play is one of the reasons the Scarlets are undefeated this year.

Yeah, it sure sounds like he could end up at CB as well. I saw him play a team that threw the ball about 5 times, so I didn't get to see his ability on the defensive side, I believe he did block a punt though.

I found this on ESPNHS from October 19, 2011:

I'm confused now..

Saw Hunter play several times over past two years at West. The past year was slot receiver, cornerback, returned punts and kickoffs. As slot receiver ran deep side line routes, bubble screens and pitch back on reverses and options. Very good kick return man, gave West excellent field position on punt returns and kick offs. He had injured his leg in game prior to Bemidji semi-final game, reinjured in first half. Him not returning kicks hurt West's field position a great deal. He was also to cover Bemidji's best receiver (#1) which also had a big impact on out come of game. Hope to see Hunter make a contribution to the Gophers.

Top Bottom