How would you rank the 14 Big Ten programs?

Tier 1
MSU
Maryland
Michigan
Indiana - they still are, doesn't matter how many times they hire bad coaches!
Wisconsin

Tier 2
Purdue
Ohio State
Iowa
Illinois
Minnesota

Tier 4
Penn State
Northwestern
Nebraska
Rutgers

This is how I would rank them. Just how I see it.

Dude you're right. Whomever the previous coach and level or prestige they had prior has no weight or bearing on how difficult the job is...
For sure. It’s much easier to take over a crappy program and make it successful than a good one

I've obviously have not written or communicated my point correctly. Of course anyone that is an all time great will get it going sooner than that especially now with transfers and fluidity of rosters. That list is small and all I'm saying is that following certain guys can make the job harder.
Yup. And following a terrible coach can make the job harder to. In many cases, even harder because there won’t be fan support, donations, tradition.

I guess I’m crazy for thinking that I’d rather be the Michigan State coach to follow Izzo than the Iowa coach to follow Fran.

I love the Minnesota job for so many reasons. One of them is how easy it is to surpass the one before you. Dozens upon dozens coaches would do it. That is why i always said that ASU was a great job, that Clemson is a great job, that UVA was a great job, That Minnesota is a great job. All the resources are available or were. Everything in place except the right coach. UVA solved it and i think ASU has as well.

I love the Minnesota job for so many reasons. One of them is how easy it is to surpass the one before you. Dozens upon dozens coaches would do it. That is why i always said that ASU was a great job, that Clemson is a great job, that UVA was a great job, That Minnesota is a great job. All the resources are available or were. Everything in place except the right coach. UVA solved it and i think ASU has as well.
Exactly. It is for the same reasons that PJ chose the Football program. The older Pitino laid out many of the positive points back when his son took over the program. I just don't see why so many local fans are so quick to downgrade the program. It is a great opportunity as an upper P5 program in an excellent conference.

Exactly. It is for the same reasons that PJ chose the Football program. The older Pitino laid out many of the positive points back when his son took over the program. I just don't see why so many local fans are so quick to downgrade the program. It is a great opportunity as an upper P5 program in an excellent conference.
But only if the right coach is hired. That is the most difficult thing to do in college basketball or college football.

I am not really clear on most seem to think Iowa is ahead of Minnesota in any way. I have some appreciation with with what Fran does there, but in no way do they have better facilities, a better base of local talent, more engaged fans, more potential, or a more desirable location.

Iowa has not done a whole lot since the early Dr. Tom Davis days and that was a long time ago.

Sure you can win there just like you can at Illinois or Purdue, but those even those two jobs are not really anything special.

I am not really clear on most seem to think Iowa is ahead of Minnesota in any way. I have some appreciation with with what Fran does there, but in no way do they have better facilities, a better base of local talent, more engaged fans, more potential, or a more desirable location.

Iowa has not done a whole lot since the early Dr. Tom Davis days and that was a long time ago.

Sure you can win there just like you can at Illinois or Purdue, but those even those two jobs are not really anything special.
Illinois has hired pretty darn well. Tons of winning, fertile recruiting area, rabid fan base. Purdue had a legend in Keady. He won everywhere and early and won the Big 10 SIX times. Great fans, incredible recruiting region. Painter has not won at that rate but has won titles and won at a high % in conference. Agree with you on Iowa but that makes it even more astonishing how futile we have been.

What has MN done to deserve to be higher than Iowa the last 10 years?

I ranked Iowa because they have been better than us on average since Frans been there. It's not meant as a compliment to Iowa more on how poor ours has been.

Top Bottom