How would you fix NIL/Portal if you ran the NCAA

It’s not needed but it does drive considerably more revenue. Parity or the illusion of parity will keep a much larger percentage of fans interested in college football.
Serious question, is there any evidence this is true? I mean it certainly makes logical sense, I just wonder if it has ever been studied.

Lot of interesting ideas here. On the tampering, I hate it, if a kid leaves ok, but you know 90% of the time these kids have offers on the table before announcing their plan. Now, with the way the ncaa works, good luck stopping it.

I have 2 ideas (some of which have been hit on already).
1. Contracts, you want to get paid like a pro, then deal with the other side of it.
2. Transfers: things happen you can't stop Transfers totally. My idea, first off you get 5 years to play 4, no if ands or buts. Transfer 1 is "free" you get 1, eligible right away. But any Transfer after, you sit 1 year no questions asked. That would in theory allow you to play at X yr 1, transfer to Y play yr 2, Transfer to Z ok but you sit year 3 to play 4 and 5 if you want. You could still get 1 medical/normal redshirt but that's it. Sorry CrAB but you shouldn't get 7 years, sometimes life doesn't work perfect. It's ok if you can't play forever.

Lot of interesting ideas here. On the tampering, I hate it, if a kid leaves ok, but you know 90% of the time these kids have offers on the table before announcing their plan. Now, with the way the ncaa works, good luck stopping it.

I have 2 ideas (some of which have been hit on already).
1. Contracts, you want to get paid like a pro, then deal with the other side of it.
2. Transfers: things happen you can't stop Transfers totally. My idea, first off you get 5 years to play 4, no if ands or buts. Transfer 1 is "free" you get 1, eligible right away. But any Transfer after, you sit 1 year no questions asked. That would in theory allow you to play at X yr 1, transfer to Y play yr 2, Transfer to Z ok but you sit year 3 to play 4 and 5 if you want. You could still get 1 medical/normal redshirt but that's it. Sorry CrAB but you shouldn't get 7 years, sometimes life doesn't work perfect. It's ok if you can't play forever.
Many players go into the portal and either don't land anywhere or go down a level. Read something close to 40% do not get another scholarship offer.

See a decent number of posters wanting it to go back to any transfer is sit out.

While I have total sympathy for that ... it's as likely a getting NIL cancelled.

They could remove the grad transfer exemption, however. That is viable

The history and evolution of pro leagues is illuminating. Nothing totally new under the sun.

Most of the arguing here is over table scraps. The real money is in the TV broadcasting rights. Players sign their media rights (ie TV NIL revenue) away when they sign with a team. I don’t think it’s likely or possible for players to organize themselves to negotiate directly with conference or broadcasters for a cut of the revenue related to right of publicity. Its likely congress would have to step in and mandate a percentage of TV contracts be distributed as compensation for the players consent to use of their publicity rights.

What would a fair percentage of revenue be? What is the common salary and wage percentage of revenue in any given business. Given the monopoly-type hold on the product market, the wet dream of every private equity vulture out there - I’d say the percentage should be relatively high, at least 30% of TV contracts.

If the Big Ten contract is say, $1B per year that would rough out to about $200K per player in distributions. Athletic departments would, of course, have to go on a diet, and non-revenue sports most of all. Sad! If we’re going full capitalist, you eat what you kill boys and girls.

Write your congressperson.

To start, NIL contracts (written or unwritten) should have to be registered with a central authority (whether it be the NCAA or some other entity), with the money put in escrow with that authority.

Right now, the burden of proof that an NIL deal is not pay-for-play does not fall on the athlete or the sponsor. It all falls on the NCAA. And they are completely in the dark.

Unregistered “NIL deals” should result in the sponsor and the athlete being permanently banned from any NCAA sanctioned events.

Top Bottom