How will you greet Jerry Kill at the game?

How will you greet Jerry Kill at the game?

• Standing ovation

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I will chant “JERRY JERRY JERRY”

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Polite golf clap

Votes: 49 36.3%
  • I will ignore him like any other low major D1 coach

Votes: 51 37.8%
  • I will boo and hiss loudly

Votes: 22 16.3%
  • I will throw batteries at him like I did Chuck Knoblauch

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters

They threw both. There were batteries

Definitely hot dogs, cans, and bottles. Cannot confirm batteries. What kind of batteries are we talking? Car battery? D? C? AA? Hearing aid batteries?

For the record, I'm against fans throwing stuff on the field... Was kind of embarassing when fans threw stuff on the ice vs Michigan last spring. Boo/yell all you want. Don't throw stuff.

Bodypaint was something like "Lookout Knoblauch were everywhere". Something like that I cant remember

There is a balance sheet for me. On one side there is all the good work that Kill did to pull the program to a level of respect. On the other side there is his petty self-produced war with the University and the current coach. For me the net result doesn't call for booing but it also doesn't deserve the warm tidings and standing ovation he would have earned if he hadn't screwed it up all by himself. Result: Polite golf applause from me.
This is how I feel... He did lead our team to their first January bowl game in my lifetime (I turn 50 next month). But I don't like how he has taken out his inability to carve out a long-term role here on his terms on PJ. So golf applause, far from how I would have reacted a few years ago.

I enjoyed what Jerry did while he was here. I'm less pleased by his behavior after the fact.

I don't usually boo or cheer the opposing team. I won't change that this time.

As far as I'm concerned professional respect for the opposing team doesn't change even if I'm not a fan of the coach.
I booed that wisconsin linebacker a few years ago that pumped his fists on his way to the locker room after getting ejected for targeting. He deserved it.

I booed that wisconsin linebacker a few years ago that pumped his fists on his way to the locker room after getting ejected for targeting. He deserved it.
Oh I probably did too, that’s kind of dude specific enough to boo for me.

Last edited:

Booing Kill does nothing to help the Gophers, but may help motivate New Mexico State. Kill is leaning into the "feud" to try and get an edge.

I thought that there was/ is a standing exception for booing all things Wisconsin athletics. Am I wrong?

Definitely hot dogs, cans, and bottles. Cannot confirm batteries. What kind of batteries are we talking? Car battery? D? C? AA? Hearing aid batteries?

For the record, I'm against fans throwing stuff on the field... Was kind of embarassing when fans threw stuff on the ice vs Michigan last spring. Boo/yell all you want. Don't throw stuff.
Minnesota's version of a Bronx cheer?

Booing Kill does nothing to help the Gophers, but may help motivate New Mexico State. Kill is leaning into the "feud" to try and get an edge.
False, I’ve gotten at least 22 points out of booing the last 10 years.

That was always my thought on the situation as well. Did they have a stash of used batteries around the house?

I think there was a series of incidents around that time when drunken idiots at Yankee Stadium, and possibly some others (Philly comes to mind) were throwing batteries at opposing players fairly often. Most of that left field section was probably drunk college guys going for cheap hot dogs who saw that on Sportscenter and thought "we should do that too!"
The game was the final game of a 3-game series. There was a little trouble on Monday and Tuesday prior to this. They sold something like 15,000 walk-up tickets to the game on Wednesday. I'm sure that part of it is urban legend, but I'm also sure that there were people who bought tickets to sit in left field with the intention of throwing items at the Yankees left fielder.

There were a smattering of audible boos from the crowd, but I thought it was mostly polite applause for Coach Kill when the Aggies were introduced from the tunnel.

I sit behind the visitors bench. A section or so over there were a couple of modest earnest attempts to get a "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!" chant in the 2nd half.

We have our answer....

-the team gave him a punch in the mouth
-the coach took the high road with grace and dignity
-the fans treated him like every other anonymous coach of some nothing program

Top Bottom