How Will the WR Room Play Out in 2023?

hungan1

Reaction score

Minnesota Gophers Football: How Will the WR Room Play Out in 2023? Could We Take a Concept From USC?​

Kane Rob, Locked On Golden Gophers Podcast, May 24, 2023

I hope Crab is back to 100% and gets a full senior season. We have so many weapons in both the run and pass game, if AK stays healthy and the defense maintains a top 20 standing we could see a special/unexpected win (or two!) this year. Very bullish on this entire team regardless of the schedule.

PJ has built such an awesome program on the foundation that Kill helped repair and bring back from the depths. Gopher football is really special to me (and most here) and I'm really thankful to have been able to experience the past decade of growth from mediocrity and see what's not only possible, but question if we're truly at our ceiling yet.

I hope Crab is back to 100% and gets a full senior season. We have so many weapons in both the run and pass game, if AK stays healthy and the defense maintains a top 20 standing we could see a special/unexpected win (or two!) this year. Very bullish on this entire team regardless of the schedule.

PJ has built such an awesome program on the foundation that Kill helped repair and bring back from the depths. Gopher football is really special to me (and most here) and I'm really thankful to have been able to experience the past decade of growth from mediocrity and see what's not only possible, but question if we're truly at our ceiling yet.
ahh a Jerry Kill apologist.

ahh a Jerry Kill apologist.

Check out my post history, I'm not a Kill apologist at all. Giving the guy credit for fixing what Mason let degrade and Brewster (who I've also given a lot of grace and would truly be considered guilty of this towards) pretty much annihilated doesn't make one an apologist, it's just facts my man. Kill was never going to get us where PJ has, but he rebuilt things based on basic, fundamental football. He's clearly shown he can do that at multiple programs now. I'm not thrilled with his behavior after he exited, but that doesn't change what he did here.

I am hoping that Daniel Jackson and Elijah Spencer establish themselves early as the 1A 1B WRs. If Crab can stay healthy, that makes things even better. Those 3 can make contested catches, which seems to be a weak spot in recent years

I don't understand this?
I just dont think he did much. Plus his A-hole of a defensive coordinator that he stood up for was a sign of his "culture" I went to many Jerry Kill practices. All I heard was degrading language and a ton of "what the F*** are you doing son!?!" It was horrible.

So maybe your not an apologist, but the reality of Jerry was, if he had one more full year with the Gophers we would have been right back to the bottom of the big ten.

I am hoping that Daniel Jackson and Elijah Spencer establish themselves early as the 1A 1B WRs. If Crab can stay healthy, that makes things even better. Those 3 can make contested catches, which seems to be a weak spot in recent years
We can't forget Le'Meke Brockington. Don't forget the deep development guys. Kristen Hoskins will burst out any time.

CRAB, Spencer and Jackson are probably the top 3 players with Croom and Brockington just behind them. Can one of those 3 play the slot?

I think the RB position will look a lot like 2019 where Rodney Smith led the team with just 17 carries a game.

CRAB, Spencer and Jackson are probably the top 3 players with Croom and Brockington just behind them. Can one of those 3 play the slot?

I think the RB position will look a lot like 2019 where Rodney Smith led the team with just 17 carries a game.
I think Crooms is a slot guy.

I think Crooms is a slot guy.
He is, I just didn't know if they wanted to find a way to get CRAB, Spencer and Jackson on the field at the same time. I would think those are the three guys they will want to get the most snaps. Unless I'm underrating Crooms.

He is, I just didn't know if they wanted to find a way to get CRAB, Spencer and Jackson on the field at the same time. I would think those are the three guys they will want to get the most snaps. Unless I'm underrating Crooms.
Crooms averaged about 800 yards his last 2 years. I think you are underrating him.

Crab is a question mark too until he can prove he's healthy and can stay healthy.

Definitely seems like it will be a pick your poison situation for defenses we face. I said it before, but I'll say it again...I think this year's offense will look like 2019 on steroids. Slant, slant, slant, deep ball for the TD! Also hoping they find a way to get Hoskins in space, although he may be a year away still. Will most likely return all kicks??

A good running game in tandem with an excellent passing game is what is cooking in the Gophers' galley. Defenses have to guess or pick and choose what to defend.

Heck they can do 4 and 5 wide as well for certain defenses.

Definitely seems like it will be a pick your poison situation for defenses we face. I said it before, but I'll say it again...I think this year's offense will look like 2019 on steroids. Slant, slant, slant, deep ball for the TD! Also hoping they find a way to get Hoskins in space, although he may be a year away still. Will most likely return all kicks??
Athan looked great in the Spring game...he'll be the straw that stirs the drink on offense.

I have no idea how this plays out. CrAB, Jackson, Spencer, Crooms, are proven players, even Meke has shown enough to warrant a major role. You’d think Hoskins would get some more action, but might have to be in more specialized packages. Lanier looks like he has the tools to be a draft pick down the road. Guys get dinged up often as we’ve seen with CrAB and Jackson so it’s great to have the depth, and it’s spread across several different classes.

Top Bottom