How the Gophers got quarterback recruit Drake Lindsey out of the Razorbacks’ backyard

So he didn’t get more P5 offers because he didn’t want them. Got it.

or it wasnt reported. there's no obligation to tell everything to 247sports. again ... University of Arkansas offered, didnt they? he said no. it's not reported. what's that tell you? there's no obligation to these rating sites. he's a late bloomer and Gophers were early evaluators. Serendipity. also, most of these football coaches are no geniuses.

I know there have been Minnesota kids in the past that shut down their recruiting and didn't end up with as many reported offers because of that. I don't know if that's the case here but it could be.

I can't say I am qualified to recruit QBs but his resume certainly is impressive. And it sounds like former Arkansas coach Houston Nutt was very impressed by him.

But Perich was announcing those offers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the information on offers and interest for sites like 247 usually comes from the player or someone close to them. If Lindsey and his inner circle isn't announcing the offers anymore, 247 may not know about them.

And then it sounds like he made it very clear he was committed to MN. Lots of teams probably stopped even looking at him as a potential offer.
Sometimes websites even announce offers that aren’t actually there

I think either he made it well known he wasn't interested (not uncommon) or he just never reported the offers after he committed (also not uncommon).

He received a bunch of offers after his junior season, committed to MN in May, had an even better senior season this fall, yet has not reported any new offers since May. It seems highly unlikely that he wouldn't have gotten more offers since May.

Last edited:

yeah, they were hugging on him last month bc they have time to waste. it was all over the media they wanted him and couldnt have him
If it was all over the media they wanted him, can you provide a link? I provided one from less than 2 weeks ago that indicates he clearly DIDN'T get an Arkansas offer.

And if it was all over the media, why do you know about an offer but 247 doesnt?

If it was all over the media they wanted him, can you provide a link? I provided one from less than 2 weeks ago that indicates he clearly DIDN'T get an Arkansas offer.

And if it was all over the media, why do you know about an offer but 247 doesnt?
NOpe you are right, they havent offered. But everyone around the program including prior coach Nutt want him and cant understand it. My guess is he shuts it down. He has been bitter that they hadnt offered before and now he wants to blaze his own trail without following in the family Arkansas legacy. good for him and I think he'll be the best QB recruit in a couple generations.

Somebody’s gotta go to class and keep the team GPA in the eligible range.
according to Ryan Burns, half the NFL are 3 stars. Goes to show development is key as raw skills. Also, like I said most of these coaches arent all that smart and the websites cant handle the thousands of athletes per year and rely on who the helmet schools recruited to back up their evals and also look heavily on size and measurables. I remember being excited about getting 4 star Arizona recruit CB Ortiz but he couldnt get on special teams and transferred to UMass.

NOpe you are right, they havent offered. But everyone around the program including prior coach Nutt want him and cant understand it. My guess is he shuts it down. He has been bitter that they hadnt offered before and now he wants to blaze his own trail without following in the family Arkansas legacy. good for him and I think he'll be the best QB recruit in a couple generations.
Arkansas also used to run a spread offense and wanted a dual-threat QB. Lindsay is a pro-style QB so that is a big reason they didn't recruit him.

If Arkansas and Mn are even, and we take a 3 star they didn't pursue do they care? Do we care when a 3 star leaves Mn?
If you want to create a similar hypothetical situation here: Let's say we had a kid here that led their class 5A school to a championship, threw for 3,700 yards, 35 TD's and 3 INT's. He was a 3-star recruit that the Gophers had not pursued. We then discover Arkansas has offered him and Glen Mason publicly states that he's seen him play and he's worried that Minnesota is letting the kid get away.

Would we care? Yeah, I think there would be plenty of folks on this site wondering what is going on?

Having said all this, I'm optimistic, but also staying level-headed on the fact we never know who's going to pan out.

Last edited:

Top Bottom