How the Gophers got quarterback recruit Drake Lindsey out of the Razorbacks’ backyard

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Greder:

“It was definitely a little challenging on me because growing up, I always wanted to be a Razorback,” Drake told the Pioneer Press. “So it was definitely a little hard. The only thing I knew was Arkansas, but I feel like when it didn’t happen, it definitely added a little motivation to me … to prove everybody wrong from here and to go play the best I can at Minnesota. Make a name for myself somewhere else.”

Go Gophers!!

You know
A three star? Did they want him?
You know their is a very long list of three star and lower guys at the next level and in the Hall of Fame? I wouldn't pay too much attention to stars. Look at the intangibles and character first because those things are as important as pure talent, and Drake has plenty of all that.

Arkansas record by season going back to 2017
4-8
2-10
2-10
3-7
9-4
7-6
4-8

Why exactly are we talking about them as if they're a big time program who would turn their nose up at a 3 star QB?

Well, that's a great question.

Then again, USC and UCLA were both 7-5 this season, and they were a combined 10-10 in the PAC 12 conference, and yet I sometimes get the impression that there are folks here on Gopher Hole who see those two programs in a similar light with, say, Ohio State or Michigan.

Next season will be interesting on many levels.

If you believe 247, the Gophers are Lindsey's only P5 offer.

We got him out of Arkansas because they didn't offer him a scholarship.

Somebody stated that they didn't offer because he didn't fit their offense at that point in time. Supposedly, Petrino has recently approached Lindsey.

That is true. Not a ton a high end interest.

I'm pretty confident that is not up to date. He had a really good year and there seemed to be some growing interest but he's made it very clear he is committed to MN and isn't interested in anywhere else. Not a single offer has been added to his 247 profile since he committed to the Gophers in May.

Lindsey put up big numbers, playing in the top HS class in the state, and led his team to a state championship. that has to count for something.

I don't want to go down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole - but sometimes it does seem as if star ratings depend on where a kid is coming from and what type of offers he is receiving.

it would be interesting if you could put recruits into a "blind taste test." show film to recruiters without giving any clue where the players were from or who else was recruiting them. get an evaluation based solely on observed talent - and then compare that to the evaluations that come out of the current star system.

I'm pretty confident that is not up to date. He had a really good year and there seemed to be some growing interest but he's made it very clear he is committed to MN and isn't interested in anywhere else. Not a single offer has been added to his 247 profile since he committed to the Gophers in May.
Some commit and never update their profile again.

Certainly possible, but that's not typical with 247.
Perich, for example, relects offers made after he committed to the Gophers (USC and tOSU, for example.)

Perich, for example, relects offers made after he committed to the Gophers (USC and tOSU, for example.)
Where does the offer info come from? Was Lindsey still open to offers? Do the players enter the info? The school offering enter it? or does 247 when they hear about it?

There are 8 other lower rated players in Arkansas going to P5 schools.

We just don't know what the real story is.

You’re from NW Ark, the richest and one of the most populous (and growing) area of the state.

An offer to the backyard Razorbacks doesn’t pan out. That’s life sometimes.

…… the next logical place you think about playing is not … Minnesota.

So it’s an interesting story.

How they (Fleck’s staff) even found this kid in the first place.

I all but guarantee it’s a thing if some coach in our staff crossed paths on the recruiting trail with an old coaching buddy now at another school and the guy was like “you looking for a QB? You gotta check out this kid in Arkansas. We can’t take him, but someone is going to hit the jackpot with this kid”.

But Perich was announcing those offers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the information on offers and interest for sites like 247 usually comes from the player or someone close to them. If Lindsey and his inner circle isn't announcing the offers anymore, 247 may not know about them.

And then it sounds like he made it very clear he was committed to MN. Lots of teams probably stopped even looking at him as a potential offer.

Last edited:

Where does the offer info come from? Was Lindsey still open to offers? Do the players enter the info?
You never want to grant administrative access to non-employees, that’s how viruses 🦠 can get in your system or your site gets hijacked, plus you expose your clients Information to a third party - 247 is a pay site.

My guess is the recruiting site hears about the offer and it’s verified with the school, in some form or fashion.

Credibility is a currency for a recruiting site, as it is with any journalistic endeavor.
The school offering enter it? or does 247 when they hear about it?

But Perich was announcing those offers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the information on offers and interest for sites like 247 usually comes from the player or someone close to them. If Lindsey and his inner circle isn't announcing the offers anymore, 247 may not know about them.

And then it sounds like he made it very clear he was committed to MN. Lots of teams probably stopped even looking at him as a potential offer.
Gotta believe those sites are very dependent on what players post as I doubt teams are feeding them a lot of direct info on who they have and have not offered. Sure they steal from each other as well.

Well, Ryan Burns runs GI which I believe is part of the 247 network?

I imagine he simply calls recruits and asks them if they’ve been offered. Just like a reporter at the news does legwork for a story.

You pay them so you don’t have to do it yourself. How the world works

Where does the offer info come from? Was Lindsey still open to offers? Do the players enter the info? The school offering enter it? or does 247 when they hear about it?

Players or QBs?

Arkansas record by season going back to 2017
4-8
2-10
2-10
3-7
9-4
7-6
4-8

Why exactly are we talking about them as if they're a big time program who would turn their nose up at a 3 star QB?
$EC

Arkansas is the type of fanbase that says the SEC is the best when Georgia beats Ohio state but doesn’t say squat when Arkansas loses to BYU

My connections in Arkansas (player for rival school) said he didn’t have any other “Big” offered but has been all in on MN. He thinks we’re getting a really good one.

If Arkansas and Mn are even, and we take a 3 star they didn't pursue do they care? Do we care when a 3 star leaves Mn?

Top Bottom