How many of you think these pre-season rankings of the Gophers are $#!+?

Will the Gophers finish higher than predicted?

• Total voters

Talent is just not great IMO…

I think gopherhole overrates the talent level by a good amount.
True you can't find a star in every position group, but you can say that about 2/3 of the conference. The talent stacks up well against teams not MI, OSU, OR, USC, WA, and PSU.

Regardless of how Brosmer plays, our passing game is broken when WRs dont get separation on slants because it kills our RPO. Need to find bodies who can win fast on the outside, or we need to tweak our scheme.

Biggest concern on D by far is safety. We lost Nubin and all other safeties struggled mightily last year. This will be the first time in a long time we haven’t had an NFL-caliber safety on the roster (and the first year we play PAC-10 instead of BIG West passing attacks).

If we can fill both those voids, I think we’ll surprise people. But they are large ifs.

it will be hard to be worse than we were last year. Defense stunk. QB and whoever he was throwing to (except Jackson) stunk. Unless Corey Heatherton and Max Brosmer are complete flops I think we will be a solid team and should win 6 conference games. I see no point in not believing we will improve. I still trust in PJ.

It is not hard at all to see why we would be ranked low in pre season rankings.
We were not very good last year. Our defensive coordinator bailed on us after a down year.
We hired an unproven DC.
We have a new unproven QB from a lower division with unknown inexperienced backups.
We have nobody that has NFL draft buzz. The schedule is viewed more difficult.

Many of our starters didn't practice in the spring...sitting out to heal and raise the floor.
We practiced in secret so nobody could scout us or evaluate us.

We could be good but I think good has a ceiling of 8 wins. I think the number is 4.5 for a reason.
As a fan I hope it's wrong but other than optimism or trusting PJ to find a way it's pretty unknown what we'll actually be.

Esery has plenty of “draft buzz.” 🤦‍♂️. People who follow CFB understand this.
He was first team All B10 and the highest rated OL last season

He’ll be a first/second round pick easily. Skill position players get all the preseason hype as they’re the ones who score.

Regardless of how Brosmer plays, our passing game is broken when WRs dont get separation on slants because it kills our RPO. Need to find bodies who can win fast on the outside, or we need to tweak our scheme.

Biggest concern on D by far is safety. We lost Nubin and all other safeties struggled mightily last year. This will be the first time in a long time we haven’t had an NFL-caliber safety on the roster (and the first year we play PAC-10 instead of BIG West passing attacks).

If we can fill both those voids, I think we’ll surprise people. But they are large ifs.

Perich isn’t NFL caliber?

it will be hard to be worse than we were last year. Defense stunk. QB and whoever he was throwing to (except Jackson) stunk. Unless Corey Heatherton and Max Brosmer are complete flops I think we will be a solid team and should win 6 conference games. I see no point in not believing we will improve. I still trust in PJ.
6 conference wins would be a great season IMO

the nature of the national media is that most of the people on Gopher Hole know the Gopher roster much better than any national writer or analyst. the people cranking out these pre-season ratings are not doing an intensive deep-dive on every roster. They are not tracking all of the transfers in and out.

it's surface-level analysis. Gophers had a down season last year. Starting QB left. DC left. Offense struggled under new OC. lots of question marks in D-backfield. B1G going to 18-team league with new West Coast schools coming in.

add it up and slap a number on it: 5-win season. save to folder and go to work on next team. quick and easy. and if it proves to be not accurate, nobody cares.

the nature of the national media is that most of the people on Gopher Hole know the Gopher roster much better than any national writer or analyst. the people cranking out these pre-season ratings are not doing an intensive deep-dive on every roster. They are not tracking all of the transfers in and out.

it's surface-level analysis. Gophers had a down season last year. Starting QB left. DC left. Offense struggled under new OC. lots of question marks in D-backfield. B1G going to 18-team league with new West Coast schools coming in.

add it up and slap a number on it: 5-win season. save to folder and go to work on next team. quick and easy. and if it proves to be not accurate, nobody cares.
The problem I have is that you have people from this very board who are at the least familiar with the roster and the new adds saying we're untalented and don't warrant a better prediction. That's wild to me. How is that being a fan when we haven't even played a game yet? The low self esteem hedge betting mentality of some on here is maddening, especially when we're coming off of a bad year that was preceeded by several years of heights we've been totally unfamiliar with.

Esery has plenty of “draft buzz.” 🤦‍♂️. People who follow CFB understand this.
He was first team All B10 and the highest rated OL last season

He’ll be a first/second round pick easily. Skill position players get all the preseason hype as they’re the ones who score.

Hate to continue to be “that guy” but since I’m already “that guy” I haven’t seen a lot of first/second round ratings from the usual suspect sites?

Then again, I don’t spend a lot of time on it. Getting more mid-round stuff. I don’t know.

I probably should have voted maybe instead of no. I like the incoming recruits, but I have no idea if we're going to be any good, particularly at QB. And at this stage, I'm not confident in our OC and DC. My guess is a 6-6 regular season.

I spend some time here browsing, commenting; watch the games but outside of the lines, linebackers, some of the skill players I’ll be honest I couldn’t name a significant amount of the transfers or secondary off the top of my head. I need a primer. I need Daniel House.

The problem I have is that you have people from this very board who are at the least familiar with the roster and the new adds saying we're untalented and don't warrant a better prediction. That's wild to me. How is that being a fan when we haven't even played a game yet? The low self esteem hedge betting mentality of some on here is maddening, especially when we're coming off of a bad year that was preceeded by several years of heights we've been totally unfamiliar with.
Why because they are somewhat realistic? The gophers talent is bottom third in the conference on paper. Hopefully fleck can coach them up and most importantly find a diamond in the rough QB. Last year many thought AK would lead the gophers to new success and the opposite happend. They same could happen this year in the other direction.

Last edited:

I’m just not seeing where these ranking experts are coming from. I see a pretty talented Gopher team for next year. There is not a lot of depth at some positions, but there is considerable depth at several key spots!

Let’s review:

QB: this is a little thin and I guess untested at the B1G level but Brosmer should be good for 4 or 5 more successful passing plays per game than the Greek rifle. That alone on lasts years team gives us 3 or 4 more wins. Wittke has some experience so I would say this is an upgraded position.

RB: DT is arguably the best RB in the conference when healthy. Add in the nice collection of transfers that have come in and are full grown men and this position looks better than last year. When a 200 yard rusher in a single game is arguably the fifth string back, you’re in pretty good shape. Upgrade!

WR: This is where things go a little haywire. But, we weren’t that strong last year! Jackson is good and the incoming transfers of Williams and Driver are athletic upgrades over what we lost. Add in a healthy Brockington and we should be at least 4 deep. That should be an improvement over last year. Plus, it’s not like we have been a passing team ever under Fleck. Passing is just to keep the Defense honest at Minnesota. Improved.

Offensive Line: These guys are solid. Ersery could be a first round draft choice next year. Carrol will likely be drafted. Johnson should be solid at center and we got the manster transfer from UTEP. Add in the talented freshman from last year and these guys should be above average in the B1G and massive. Is this group an upgrade? It could be, and last years group was solid. Certainly at least as good as last year.

TE: I hesitate to even grade this. Fleck uses TEs as a 6th offensive lineman. And just to be straightforward, how could this be any worse than last year? Let’s hope the QB finds one of these guys in his progressions and that guy can reliably catch the ball. Upgrade/downgrade? Who knows?

DL: Striggow, Eastern, Joyner, Howard, Kissayi. Ok, Kissayi is a stretch. But this position looks pretty deep thanks to our DL coach. We should be able to rotate these guys and keep them fresh with little fall off in performance. This might be the best DL Fleck has had! Upgrade.

LB: what a difference a healthy Cody Linenberg would have made last year. Well, he’s healthy now. The young guys like Baranowski got thrown to the Wolves and showed massive improvement as the season progressed. This should be an improved unit even though we have no impact transfers. I’ll grade this as a wash.

DBs: Robinson and McMillan had better be pretty good as this is the spot I find the hardest to be positive about. Wiley need to cut down his penalties and who is going to replace Nubin? Perich is probably the guy, but for all his gifts he is just a freshman and did not early enroll to get that Spring Ball experience. The returning safeties are not well known to me so this feels like a downgrade. But, an improved pass rush can make DBs look very good! So maybe, this won’t be too bad of a group.

Overall Defense: We lost our best coordinator. Will the new guy improve the defense? Odds are against him, but PJ will help keep the status Quo on the D plan and that should help.

Kicking game: Punter and Kicker are solid!

So, I see more reasons to be positive than negative. The schedule is the schedule. We play in the B1G. It could be easier, but if you take out USC and Michigan, you’d probably get OSU and Oregon. So, why aren’t people just happy we are avoiding the likely top 2 teams and playing UCLA instead of Washington? We play Iowa and Wisconsin every year.

I think this team will surprise and make most pundits look bad. With a little luck and a healthy team we could get to 9 wins!

Certainly not the 14th or lower B1G team IMO.

Go Gophers!!
Minnesota should have been a five win team last year and then replaced their quarterback and defensive coordinator in the offseason.

It would be absurd to expect third party writers to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Minnesota should have been a five win team last year and then replaced their quarterback and defensive coordinator in the offseason.

It would be absurd to expect third party writers to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Doesn't mean it can’t be taken as a slight or used as motivation though. This team has real pieces and production and is largely being slept on.

Doesn't mean it can’t be taken as a slight or used as motivation though. This team has real pieces and production and is largely being slept on.
By its own fan base, no less.

A lot of parity in the conference.
Not much will separate 5th from 16th next year

Kind of like not much separated 4th from 12th last year.
Last year the clear number 4 (Iowa) lost at home to a sub .500 team who tied for 11th(Minnesota) who lost to the other team team in 11th (Illinois)

Top Bottom