How many more wins in the regular season?

How many more regular season Ws

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
I’m going to say three - we have a three game winning streak to end the season and lose a close one to the Terps

I voted 1 more, which still brings them shy of my optimistic projection of 3 B1G wins. Go Gophers!

I took zero.

We’ll play really well and lead Wisconsin for almost the entire game but then find a way to lose in gut-punching fashion.

I’m thinking something similar to the “Frankie Williams/Kevin Burleson/Illinois game” in 2002, a game that sends the Gophers to the NCAA tourney if they don’t choke it away.

A better poll: How many more wins in Ben Johnson's career as UM Head Basketball Coach?

O/U : 10 5

Zero.

I want to beat Wisconsin, but we just aren't good enough. We don't get offensive rebounds. We don't play defense. We don't have a shooting percentage that would make us potential victors.

Zero.

I want to beat Wisconsin, but we just aren't good enough. We don't get offensive rebounds. We don't play defense. We don't have a shooting percentage that would make us potential victors.
And we seem to have no good offense strategy, poor ball movement, and we excel at turnovers and poor free throw shooting. I vote zero.

That may be the most likely (and sensible) answer but I refuse to give up hope yet. I'm assuming the Big Ten tournament also counts for this purpose (one more try anyway).
Title of thread says regular season; after our three game W romp to end the season, we’ll take 2 in the tournament 2 🥾

And we seem to have no good offense strategy, poor ball movement, and we excel at turnovers and poor free throw shooting. I vote zero.
Our identity is Empty Possessions.

I took zero.

We’ll play really well and lead Wisconsin for almost the entire game but then find a way to lose in gut-punching fashion.

I’m thinking something similar to the “Frankie Williams/Kevin Burleson/Illinois game” in 2002, a game that sends the Gophers to the NCAA tourney if they don’t choke it away.
The beginning of the end for Monson. That game changed the arc of his career here. An NCAA berth right then in year three would have bought him some credibility and momentum. Instead we had to wait until year six and the air was out of his sails in recruiting.

Year 3 will be huge for Ben as well. He doesn't have to make it to the tourney, but he has to make us think he might.

I saw yesterday evening while watching the Memphis/Wichita State bball game, that Wisconsin is one of the "last four in" for this years NCAA tourney. I would love for the Gophers to be the reason WI misses the tourney! Hearing the 'talking heads' on Selection Sunday say, "Wisconsin losing to Minnesota really hurt their chances at playing in the tourney" would make me smile.

Last edited:

You would take the under....but you are always such a beacon of positivity..... :)
I’m also a realist. I predicted 1 win this year. I’ll hold my predictions for next year until the roster is finalized. But even if they win 6 games, that’s terrible. Does CBJ keep his job if they win 6?

I’m also a realist. I predicted 1 win this year. I’ll hold my predictions for next year until the roster is finalized. But even if they win 6 games, that’s terrible. Does CBJ keep his job if they win 6?

6 B1G wins in a season for Pitino? FIRED!!

6 B1G wins in a season for Ben? CONTRACT EXTENSION!!

I've been on record that I don't know if there will be a specific win total the team will have to reach next year but there will expectations for obvious signs of improvement for Johnson to get a 4th year.

6 conference wins probably falls in that 12th-14th place range so on the court it wouldn't be a massive improvement in terms of the standings, but if they win 6 conference games and are competitive in the majority of the losses it may be enough to earn a 4th year. At this point it is anybody's guess as to what exactly will be required.

My guess is that it will be a low bar but there will be a bar in year 3.

0.0, “fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son “ - Dean Wormer

Why would you bring that up? It's an appropriate day to relive that game I guess.

0.0, “fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son “ - Dean Wormer
I’m no longer fat and haven’t drank in 4 months, but tonight I may justify myself into a mild bender

Top Bottom