How many head coaches will save their job now?

Stan

Reaction score
I have to think that the virus shutting down most of our country for the next month or two, will delay or prohibit a lot of ADs from making moves. No AD will fire their coach in this environment. Or very few at least.

This development could save a lot of coaches jobs.

I have to think that the virus shutting down most of our country for the next month or two, will delay or prohibit a lot of ADs from making moves. No AD will fire their coach in this environment. Or very few at least.

I guess you read my post in the pitino thread. Actually, i am flattered.

If Coyle wants to move on from Pitino he will make it happen, imo.

I would be shocked if coaches are getting fired in the current environment. Most likely, it will wait until things blow over a bit, and then once one school does it, the rest will follow. Firing people in this climate is going to be a very bad look, whether it's warranted or not. Add in the fact that getting people traveling to interview will be tough, so there isn't really a point to firing at this point if there's nobody to hire.

I would imagine the "under the table" positioning of AD's with prospective coaches and gauging their interest will be rampant, however.

Dude, he and the school has other issues that are more prevalent than who our basketball coach will be next year. Come on man
the ad has a job to do, mr Anderson. all I ask is he does it. Lots of prevalent issues for many of us currently, and our "real jobs" continue.

Oh, and Bader needs to put up.

I would be shocked if coaches are getting fired in the current environment. Most likely, it will wait until things blow over a bit, and then once one school does it, the rest will follow. Firing people in this climate is going to be a very bad look, whether it's warranted or not. Add in the fact that getting people traveling to interview will be tough, so there isn't really a point to firing at this point if there's nobody to hire.

I would imagine the "under the table" positioning of AD's with prospective coaches and gauging their interest will be rampant, however.
Agreed. As I said in the other thread, I imagine everything takes a pause including transfers/recruiting/declaring for the draft.

the ad has a job to do, mr Anderson. all I ask is he does it. Lots of prevalent issues for many of us currently, and our "real jobs" continue.

Oh, and Bader needs to put up.

My point is he has plenty of other duties that will take precedence over this. Things like this can bring some chaos to a department and are more time sensitive than firing a coach. Not like recruits are taking visits right now anyways.

My point is he has plenty of other duties that will take precedence over this. Things like this can bring some chaos to a department and are more time sensitive than firing a coach. Not like recruits are taking visits right now anyways.
I don't think Coyle can delay though- he has to go one way or another. Even though recruits are not going to be visiting much, there will be daily recruiting and texting and phone contacts. We have 2 or 3 open scholarships that will need to be filled and committed players that will want to know. If we wait to decide we will lose out in spring recruiting.

I don't think Coyle can delay though- he has to go one way or another. Even though recruits are not going to be visiting much, there will be daily recruiting and texting and phone contacts. We have 2 or 3 open scholarships that will need to be filled and committed players that will want to know. If we wait to decide we will lose out in spring recruiting.
This is my point exactly.

He has a LOT of staff to deal with a lot of what is happening right now, with respect to the virus. His pay grade requires him to move forward on all fronts.

I'm not saying wait into July or the even a month. Lets give it a week or two until they make decisions on the NCAA tournament and other things. He should be worried about the welfare of our current athletes and coaches first and foremost until they get the grip on this thing that they feel comfortable with. Have whatever beliefs of this being an overreaction or not, if they are honestly canceling tournaments and things they are busy with other stuff. Even guaranteed openings like Boston College will not fire their coach right now. Lets just relax a bit. One spring recruiting session will not make or break this program from the current doldrums they are in.

I'm not saying wait into July or the even a month. Lets give it a week or two until they make decisions on the NCAA tournament and other things. He should be worried about the welfare of our current athletes and coaches first and foremost until they get the grip on this thing that they feel comfortable with. Have whatever beliefs of this being an overreaction or not, if they are honestly canceling tournaments and things they are busy with other stuff. Even guaranteed openings like Boston College will not fire their coach right now. Lets just relax a bit. One spring recruiting session will not make or break this program from the current doldrums they are in.
If you are going to delay, then you can't keep Pitino. He already faces a tough battle next year. If you hamper him on spring recruiting it makes things worse. I think this has been heavily discussed but if Coyle is going to replace, he should have his guy in his pocket. Virus or no virus, let's move decisively.
A week is the outside.

If you are going to delay, then you can't keep Pitino. He already faces a tough battle next year. If you hamper him on spring recruiting it makes things worse. I think this has been heavily discussed but if Coyle is going to replace, he should have his guy in his pocket. Virus or no virus, let's move decisively.
A week is the outside.

Highly unlikely this happens. Most institutions not even allowing sponsored air travel. How do you propose to conduct the interviews?

It's going to be a game of chicken with other schools who are looking to make a move. If a couple do, the log jam, will break. There's already talk of granting seniors another year of eligibility. Perhaps we're all going to pretend this season never happened and everyone gets a do-over.

Highly unlikely this happens. Most institutions not even allowing sponsored air travel. How do you propose to conduct the interviews?
People can fly in and meet. We are not done with all meetings. Mass gatherings are being cancelled and appropriately so. Meeting in small groups or one on one is going to continue. I'd go on an airplane tomorrow for something important or for a scheduled vacation in the US. If they really want a new coach, they can make it happen. If not, he stays. But do it now or don't do it.

It's going to be a game of chicken with other schools who are looking to make a move. If a couple do, the log jam, will break. There's already talk of granting seniors another year of eligibility. Perhaps we're all going to pretend this season never happened and everyone gets a do-over.
Correct to a point, but no one is even looking at this stuff right now. Waiting a week to see what we have will not hurt a thing. It’s mind bobbling to me that we just canceled the tourney for maybe the first time ever and people think athletic departments are and should be going on business as usual. Let everyone get their bearings. Coyles choice was probably already made up anyhow.

Correct to a point, but no one is even looking at this stuff right now. Waiting a week to see what we have will not hurt a thing. It’s mind bobbling to me that we just canceled the tourney for maybe the first time ever and people think athletic departments are and should be going on business as usual. Let everyone get their bearings. Coyles choice was probably already made up anyhow.
With all sports canceled by the ncaa marky has time. Stop with excuses 1984. And yes it is already decided.

I am very concerned that the coronavirus will save Pitino's job. It's going to be a disaster for this program to have another dead year where we lose out on the 2021 kids because Pitino is on the hot seat (and he wasn't getting them when he wasn't) and lose ground on the 2022 kids.

To be fair, I am not sure there is an option now. How do you make a move when you don't know what the future looks like? A buyout and a new contract before you have certainty about what the future holds for college basketball seems unrealistic. At the very least, those writing the checks are going to want to see major sporting events (with paying fans) held without incident before making a move.

It's extremely depressing to think about as a fresh start was about all there was to look forward to for much of this season (minus the decent early start to conference play) and now that's probably not going to happen.

I am very concerned that the coronavirus will save Pitino's job. It's going to be a disaster for this program to have another dead year where we lose out on the 2021 kids because Pitino is on the hot seat (and he wasn't getting them when he wasn't) and lose ground on the 2022 kids.

To be fair, I am not sure there is an option now. How do you make a move when you don't know what the future looks like? A buyout and a new contract before you have certainty about what the future holds for college basketball seems unrealistic. At the very least, those writing the checks are going to want to see major sporting events (with paying fans) held without incident before making a move.

It's extremely depressing to think about as a fresh start was about all there was to look forward to for much of this season (minus the decent early start to conference play) and now that's probably not going to happen.
Oturo and a Gabe both committed after the injury plagued season when we were awful. Coffey did after a terrible year too. The decision has been made I doubt the corona virus will effect it. I still think he was getting another year either way.

With all sports canceled by the ncaa marky has time. Stop with excuses 1984. And yes it is already decided.

It's been a DAY. Jesus I can't believe I'm still engaging in this irrational conversation. If it happens it will be most likely next week and it will change nothing vs him doing it today. Stability is needed today for our athletes, not more chaos.

It's been a DAY. Jesus I can't believe I'm still engaging in this irrational conversation. If it happens it will be most likely next week and it will change nothing vs him doing it today. Stability is needed today for our athletes, not more chaos.
Next week is fine. Today or tomorrow not necessary.

marky has a decision to make. Covid Makes no difference.

Two AD's and several associate AD's that my sons talked too said there will be a catch the breath moment but that there will be changes made.

Top Bottom