How Many Gophers Transfer? If Pitino is in fact fired like is being reported?

ole1710

Reaction score
How many scholarship players stick around for the new coach? Yes I know it depends on who the new coach is. But you look at Liam and Mashburn, came because of connection with Pitino and Conroy? Carr entering the draft? Curry graduating. Just curious what everybody thinks a returning roster would look like. And yes I know with the transfer market the way it is players will switch teams.

I might be in the minority on this but if we get a solid coach and don't get ravaged by transfers, I think we will have a decent team next year. Would have a shot to make the tourney if we have Mash, Kalscheur, Ihnen, Robbins, Tre, Gach. Do we need some frontcourt depth? Yeah we will have to play some more small ball but I think we have the athletes to play D, and then if we can find any semblance of an identity on offense that would go a long ways as well.

I don't think anyone is a for sure transfer but I feel like Carr will take pro money in the G League or overseas.

Basically everyone else is a potential transfer other than Gabe, Both, and Brandon Johnson imo. I dont think Liam, Ihnen, or Mash leave but its possible. Wouldnt be surprised if anyone else transferred.

I don't think anyone is a for sure transfer but I feel like Carr will take pro money in the G League or overseas.

Basically everyone else is a potential transfer other than Gabe, Both, and Brandon Johnson imo. I dont think Liam, Ihnen, or Mash leave but its possible. Wouldnt be surprised if anyone else transferred.

I agree with the first three (assuming Johnson decides to play another year) and I don't think Robbins transfers either. He led the conference in blocks per game in his first year so I think he probably wants a repeat performance. I suppose if he can play right away and gets an offer from IA or IA State he might go. Assuming Carr leaves, I wouldn't want Mashburn to leave because having at least one point guard on the roster means you don't have to get two of them in the spring. Mashburn has some flaws but he did pretty well for a freshman. I have no clue if Ihnen will stay but I hope he does. He has some natural strengths (length, quickness, athleticism) and I'm betting that another coach would figure out a way to use him far more effectively and develop him better.

I wouldn't care if anyone else on the team leaves and I actually hope Tre Williams does.

New coach doesn't mean a bunch of guys are guaranteed to jump ship. We don't have a lot of guys that bigtime programs would want to bring in so if they do transfer they are going to have to drop down to a smaller school. That might not be all that appealing for a lot of players.

Mashburn might be the only one who would be able to find a good school willing to take him if he decided to leave. But with Carr almost certain to go pro in some capacity, why would Mashburn want to give up the shot to be a starting PG in the Bigten just because of a coaching change?

all depends on the coach....if its a Pitino type hire where you missed out on your top targets there will be a few more.

Carr & Curry are gone for sure.
Johnson....if im the new coach im begging him to stay...but maybe he decides hes had enough
And im guessing at least 1 more guys decides to transfer just because even with no coaching change there always seems to be some movement.
Minimum of 3 guys will move on. Maximum of 5. Thats my guess.

And my guess for the guys signed here....Thompson stays no matter what. Pohto im guessing looks elsewhere.

The new coach will certainly want some roster flexibility to bring his type of guys in. So some roster turnover is ok. We arent very good with the pieces we have.

And my guess for the guys signed here....Thompson stays no matter what. Pohto im guessing looks elsewhere.

My guess is that it's not a great time for second-tier prep recruits to re-open their recruiting. Conditions would point towards what might be the biggest transfer market in history with the possibility of no sit-out requirement. I could see most coaches preferring to recruit players who have demonstrated already that they can play at the D1 level. Look at our experience this year. Robbins and Johnson performed well above the level of most freshmen we could have recruited and even Gach with all his problems contributed more than the average freshman recruit over the Pitino era.

My guess is that it's not a great time for second-tier prep recruits to re-open their recruiting. Conditions would point towards what might be the biggest transfer market in history with the possibility of no sit-out requirement. I could see most coaches preferring to recruit players who have demonstrated already that they can play at the D1 level. Look at our experience this year. Robbins and Johnson performed well above the level of most freshmen we could have recruited and even Gach with all his problems contributed more than the average freshman recruit over the Pitino era.
that might be more an indictment on Pitino's recruiting than anything else you could say

Davison and Reuvers grad transfer to MN

I'd like Liam, Johnson, Mashburn, Tre, Ihnen and Gach back. And Gabe of course.

If I'm the new coach I keep Conroy on staff solely to guarantee Robbins stays as he still has two more years of eligibility. Even if Conroy is the worst assistant in the Big Ten (I think he's actually pretty good), keeping him is worth it just because of Liam.

If we get those 7 guys back then and maybe get a quality transfer or two, I do think we could have a respectable team, especially if Gach can get back to what he once was.

Carr will go pro.

We might lose 1-2 transfers when all is said and done.
The amount of concern regarding transfers seems ridiculously high in my opinion.
This roster isn't this special where I'm real concerned about this.

If Pitino is back, I would guess he'll have at least 5 scholarships to fill (Carr, Johnson, Gach, Curry and at least one of Freeman/Mitchell)

With a new coach, I'd say all of the above, plus Robbins, Mashburn and Photo (?). So 8. Possibly 7 if someone like Gach is more likely to stay with a new coach.

I could see Carr grad transferring to a higher profile program if he doesn’t get the draft grade he wants.

I am just hoping mashburn and mitchell stay.
I know mitchell hasn't had much playing time but for some reason I think he will be a solid player by the time he is a junior.

I am saying this thinking robbins will stay.

Carr's not staying. Hopefully Robbins stays. Put me in the camp that is not too worried about the rest. Not that I want them to leave, but I think most of them are replaceable.

I'm more of the mind-frame of how many Minnesotans decide to transfer to the Gophers if we hire ____________?

Which Minnesotans do you think would consider this? Please name a few. I’m genuinely curious. I have a lot of 1 so far in my head.

Which Minnesotans do you think would consider this? Please name a few. I’m genuinely curious. I have a lot of 1 so far in my head.
I have no idea. I know he rubbed a few the wrong way.

McKinley Wright
Race Thompson
Dawson Garcia?

Thought maybe Built would have a little knowledge on the subject. I can only list ones I'd like to see come home.

Wright
Hurt
Dainja
Garcia
Thompson

These are guys I thought should have come to Minnesota in the first place. Maybe if there was a Musselman, Dutcher, Beilien, or Matta leading the way they would consider wearing Maroon and Gold and playing at home.

well if they go with Medved i would say chances are good that Roddy would follow him back to MN....plus the 6'-11" jacob Jennisen would follow as well.

I have no idea. I know he rubbed a few the wrong way.

McKinley Wright
Race Thompson
Dawson Garcia?

Thought maybe Built would have a little knowledge on the subject. I can only list ones I'd like to see come home.

Wright
Hurt
Dainja
Garcia
Thompson

These are guys I thought should have come to Minnesota in the first place. Maybe if there was a Musselman, Dutcher, Beilien, or Matta leading the way they would consider wearing Maroon and Gold and playing at home.

Hurt is going to the NBA, Wright will test those waters as well. Hard to see Dainja leaving a school he chose without ever playing there. He chose to redshirt.
Garcia is the one I was thinking of. Would like to see him back.
Thompson who knows. IU may be looking for a coach as well

well if they go with Medved i would say chances are good that Roddy would follow him back to MN....plus the 6'-11" jacob Jennisen would follow as well.
Do any of the Mountain West coaches have restrictions in their contract like Musselman does that would prevent anyone from coming with them?

New coach doesn't mean a bunch of guys are guaranteed to jump ship. We don't have a lot of guys that bigtime programs would want to bring in so if they do transfer they are going to have to drop down to a smaller school. That might not be all that appealing for a lot of players.

Mashburn might be the only one who would be able to find a good school willing to take him if he decided to leave. But with Carr almost certain to go pro in some capacity, why would Mashburn want to give up the shot to be a starting PG in the Bigten just because of a coaching change?

I followed Iowa closely through the Todd Lickliter debacle. There was no mass transfer movement from his last team when Fran McCaffrey was hired. Two of Lickliter's four final year recruits also joined the team (Ben Brust who switched to Wisconsin was a notable one who didn't). Lickliter had a significant transfer exodus the year before and transferring out may have been a bigger problem had he stayed. Of course, the transfer rules were stricter then so it's hard to say that we would enjoy the same stability in this environment. On the other hand, the ability to get immediate transfer players is also much easier today.

Although I generally agree with you that a number of our players probably would have to move down if they transferred, I don't think Mashburn is the only one who could end up at a power conference school. After leading the conference in blocked shots per game, Robbins should easily find a power 6 conference team who would want him. As a one-year transfer, Brandon Johnson likely could land at a power conference school as well.

Hurt is going to the NBA, Wright will test those waters as well. Hard to see Dainja leaving a school he chose without ever playing there. He chose to redshirt.
Garcia is the one I was thinking of. Would like to see him back.
Thompson who knows. IU may be looking for a coach as well
I know that Thompson was extremely underwhelmed with the Pitino pitch.
Someone mentioned Roddy if Medved gets hired. Not too enamored with him.
Now if Chet would come if _____ was our coach. That would be AWESOME! But that's just a rental, it would have to be someone you are happy sleeping with for a long while.

I know that Thompson was extremely underwhelmed with the Pitino pitch.
Someone mentioned Roddy if Medved gets hired. Not too enamored with him.
Now if Chet would come if _____ was our coach. That would be AWESOME! But that's just a rental, it would have to be someone you are happy sleeping with for a long while.
he is colorado states best player....and he is a bully and brings toughness. He wouldnt come into the big ten and average 16 points and 9 rebounds a game.....but he would certainly be a good addition IMO

I might be in the minority on this but if we get a solid coach and don't get ravaged by transfers, I think we will have a decent team next year. Would have a shot to make the tourney if we have Mash, Kalscheur, Ihnen, Robbins, Tre, Gach. Do we need some frontcourt depth? Yeah we will have to play some more small ball but I think we have the athletes to play D, and then if we can find any semblance of an identity on offense that would go a long ways as well.
Take off the maroon glasses.

That's this year's team minus Carr and Johnson.

That team doesn't win 4 B1G games.

Top Bottom