How many COVID players will be back for the Axe?

Otis

Reaction score
I saw we had 33 players out against Nebraska. Ouch! And still won! Amazing!

How many of them will be back?

Also, being on the East Coast, I have no idea who of the main starters and contributors were out. Who was missing?
I saw no Bateman in the box score.

Just want to beat the stinking Badgers and hope we are close to full force!

Bateman opted out for the rest of the season, so he's no longer going to be in the box score.

I saw Ersay on the Offensive line....so we must have had O-Line starters out?

Looked like at least two starters out on the OL. Several TE's out. Dew-Treadway out on DL. at least one LB out.

but, really, for all the talk of "33 players out," the bulk of the regulars were still available. No one of note missing at QB, RB, WR. TE thin - but BSF caught a TD pass. DL was mostly intact. DB's were mostly there.

so a lot of those 33 players had to be 2nd or 3rd-team players. I did not check the special teams, so can't say who might have been missing from those groups.

In retrospect, the "33 players out" thing was overblown when you consider the impact it actually had on how the game was played. On offense, they could not use 2 TE sets, so used more RB's in game.

To the OP: you would have to know when the players tested positive to know when their 21-day clock started. and that information is not released - so it will come down to checking the roster once the pre-game warmups begin at about 1:00 Saturday afternoon or so.

Looked like at least two starters out on the OL. Several TE's out. Dew-Treadway out on DL. at least one LB out.

but, really, for all the talk of "33 players out," the bulk of the regulars were still available. No one of note missing at QB, RB, WR. TE thin - but BSF caught a TD pass. DL was mostly intact. DB's were mostly there.

so a lot of those 33 players had to be 2nd or 3rd-team players. I did not check the special teams, so can't say who might have been missing from those groups.

In retrospect, the "33 players out" thing was overblown when you consider the impact it actually had on how the game was played. On offense, they could not use 2 TE sets, so used more RB's in game.

To the OP: you would have to know when the players tested positive to know when their 21-day clock started. and that information is not released - so it will come down to checking the roster once the pre-game warmups begin at about 1:00 Saturday afternoon or so.
I agree that many starters seemed to be on the field, but Spann-Ford has typically been in 3-4 player rotation, so he played most of the game. Starting C was out. DT only had 2-3 in the rotation for the game and two were Freshmen. Kicker was affected again. WR was without their best player and playing a walk-on and a wildcat QB.

We also don't know when the positive tests came down and how late in the week it affected the line-ups. It was a really nice win that should really point to the ability of the staff to recruit and develop players.

So 33 players out, eh no big deal? Special Teams? Practices? I am not saying build a statue to Fleck for beating a bad Nebraska team but 33 players out is significant no matter how you slice it.

Tough to piece together the full number, plus figuring out who was injured and who had covid as well. Looking at participation report quick:

Guys we already knew were out - Bateman, Teague, Dunlap, Faalele, Oliver - 5
Key players missing during Nebraska game - Ruschmeyer, Schmitz, Dew-Treadway, Lindenberg, Kieft, Paulson, Lantz, Walker, Smith - 9

So that is 14 with 4 offensive lineman from where we were at before the season. I am sure I am missing a few obvious ones. Tough to say exactly who made up the remaining 19 but even without those guys being regulars that is still a ton of key contributors to be missing. Just the fact that we were down 2 current O-Line starters and our two top blocking TEs and still managed to rush for over 200 yards with no sacks allowed is super impressive.

Anyone who was out for the Purdue game for covid should definitely be back, and I think we saw some of that already.

If I am interpreting the rules correctly, anyone who was confirmed positive on or before Nov 28th will be available to play if they are now testing negative, since that will have been 21 days. Unfortunately we have no idea who that encapsulates.

Then again it was Nebraska they beat, not like a good team or anything like that.
Nebraska has the same number of wins this year as: Wisconsin, Michigan, Purdue, Illinois, Michigan state, Maryland

so while not super impressive we shouldn’t pretend like it was a free win.
Beating Nebraska would be the equivalent this year as having won that Michigan or Maryland game

Anyone who was out for the Purdue game for covid should definitely be back, and I think we saw some of that already.

If I am interpreting the rules correctly, anyone who was confirmed positive on or before Nov 28th will be available to play if they are now testing negative, since that will have been 21 days. Unfortunately we have no idea who that encapsulates.

As with basically every other game this year we will most likely have to wait until gametime to really know who is and who is not out. Best we can hope for is that none of the guys Saturday drop with Covid this week and we get some guys back that were out due to covid or injury. My biggest hope is that we get the O-Line and TEs back because I want our line to be as close to 100% going up against Wisconsin's D.

Nebraska has the same number of wins this year as: Wisconsin, Michigan, Purdue, Illinois, Michigan state, Maryland

Beating Nebraska would be the equivalent this year as having won that Michigan or Maryland game
I was mocking them. I remember Johnny Rogers, Rimington, 83-13, the national championships. I love the win.

Obviously we'd take JMS back at center.

But I would leave Andries at left gaurd. I think that's his better position, anyway.

71 players have played this year and only 25 have played all 6 games.

I think these players missed Saturday’s game. Lindenberg. Most of OL and TE were new scratches this last week. Philip Howard. MJ Anderson. Dew-Treadway. Terrell Smith. Swenson.
Best guess on my part. Means they will be out Saturday unless they tested positive around Thanksgiving or before.

I think these players missed Saturday’s game. Lindenberg. Most of OL and TE were new scratches this last week. Philip Howard. MJ Anderson. Dew-Treadway. Terrell Smith. Swenson.
Best guess on my part. Means they will be out Saturday unless they tested positive around Thanksgiving or before.

of course we don’t have any firm confirmation on who was out due to COVID and who was out due to injury.

Another guy who I didn’t see playing against Nebraska was depth DB Cal Swenson. Maybe he was out there; I didn’t watch closely enough. I think he is a very good open field tackler. Hope to see him back in the rotation for the Badger game.

So 33 players out, eh no big deal? Special Teams? Practices? I am not saying build a statue to Fleck for beating a bad Nebraska team but 33 players out is significant no matter how you slice it.

Next 33 Up!

The way you phrased this, I almost feel like Minnesota should have been favored last week.

26 guys I didn’t see last week who before or during year were playing or expected to play:

4 OLine:
Dunlap, Faalele,
Ruschmeyer, Schmitz

4 TE:
Kieft, Witham, Paulson, Kallerup

2 WR:
Douglas, Bateman, Emilien

RB:
Ky Thomas

Dline:
DewTreadway, MJ Anderson, Richter, Joyner, DV Harris

LB:
Oliver
Lindenberg
Tank Brown?

Safety:
Swenson, Sapp

CB:
Terrell Smith

K:
Walker, Lantz, Ryerse

Last edited:

Things have just sunk that low at Nebraska. It's progressed to the point where over a third of the football team can be back home in quarantine with a deadly virus and beating Nebraska in Lincoln garners a big ol' whatevs (it should be more celebrated)

The sentiment around Nebraska is the most bearish in the whole league and it's hard to argue based on the results.

All wins are not created equally.

Howard played. A lot. He returned punts even.

26 guys I didn’t see last week who before or during year were playing or expected to play:

4 OLine:
Dunlap, Faalele,
Ruschmeyer, Schmitz

4 TE:
Kieft, Witham, Paulson, Kallerup

2 WR:
Douglas, Bateman, Emilien

RB:
Ky Thomas

Dline:
DewTreadway, MJ Anderson, Richter, Joyner, DV Harris

LB:
Oliver
Lindenberg
Tank Brown?

Safety:
Swenson, Sapp

CB:
Terrell Smith

K:
Walker, Lantz, Ryerse
Faalele, Dunlap, and Oliver of course wouldn't fit your description, as they were not expected to play this year.

Same would go for Teague (DL).

DL needs to get healthy to help in the run game. I don't think I missed Lindenberg at all.

I suppose you think Wisconsin’s wins are great even though they have the same value
They smoke two of the worst teams in the Big Ten. Losses to NW and Indiana were respectable, and loss to Iowa wasn't as much.

Pretty clearly in the big "middle of the pack" group, with Minnesota.

Top Bottom