How long will the Big Ten Conference stay in tact.

007gopherfan

Reaction score
Be interesting to see with the expansion of the Big ten, how long it will last. 18 teams is a lot to compete with.

You would think if certain teams always become the bottom feeders of the conference (hopefully MN not one, but sometimes seems that way) get tired of seeing lower attendance, tough spots for coaching, to want to continue doing that. Especially now when you see other former D2,D3 programs turning D1, be in conferences where they can compete and give their athlete's, coaches, and FANS, HOPE! Just one example, basketball now, their will be plenty of smaller schools dancing that would likely struggle just as bad a the gophers in the big ten conference. Don't get me wrong, I like they get the opportunities and it makes March MADNESS! Just saying with 14 teams, that is a lot to compete with for many of them. Will there ever be a point a school or schools says the HECK with being in the big ten?

Everyone says it is all about the $ and I am sure that has plenty to do with it, but there are many other programs in many sports that survive just fine in college sports programs, more competitive, and their more FAN friendly! If I am new President of the U and Coyle, this is something going through my mind. How do we build sold out crowds, could we be leader and start a more competitive conference for my school and athletes to make more NCAA tourneys. Will football go to bigger playoff yet where more conference champs make it where I could put MN in better spot. Could be a leader and pave the way! If it isn't MN, will it be someone else?

Last edited:

Given that so many college sports fans are excited for drastic change to the sport I think it makes a lot of sense in terms of competition and fan engagement to create different tiers. It doesn’t make business sense for MN since they are the recipient of media rights distributions they could never achieve on their own or in a lower rung league. So, is it better to be a suddenly impoverished winner or a rich doormat?

If there were only a way to level the playing field without resorting to that 🤔. Anyone? Anyone?

Don't recall the B1G ever being tactless but I-O-W-A fans probably disagree for that invalid fair catch decision by the refs earlier this season.

Nice to have you home Floyd in Dinkytown, who would never be confused for some variety of hard tack.

The question is: how long will Minnesota stay in the B1G if they do not receive the proper support/funding from the state, University, businesses, corporations & fans? Will the Missouri Valley be the answer?

The answer to... what, exactly?

If and when the B1G is no longer 'in tact', will it then, at that point, be...

...'out tact'?

The Big Ten conference is going to be around for a long time. At some point there may be a change in how football is handled so maybe there would no longer be Big Ten football, but the conference would still be there because there are lots of other sports.

Then again, probably would have said the same thing about the Pac 12 a year or two ago and look at what happened to that conference so I guess anything is possible. In the end though, the Big Ten and SEC seem like pretty safe bets to be around for a long time, the other conferences.....maybe not so much.

If all other sports beside hockey could work with teams to get in a conference like this:

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Iowa State
Northern Iowa
Drake
Creighton
Northwestern
Marquette

This conference would still be VERY COMPETIVE, provide more opportunities for all their students, athletes, and fans! There would be a lot of good rivalries for fans to travel to and from. It would allow Minnesota to get into a better hockey conference for their fans to enjoy once again. Midwest conference of Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Bemidji, Duluth, St. Cloud, St. Thomas, Mankato, Augustana, Nebraska Omaha. C'mon Coyle, lets start the talking and lead the way!

The Gophers will never leave the B1G. Money is way, way too good. The only way the Gophers leave the B1G is if they are forced out. Every conference needs a lot of cord wood.

If all other sports beside hockey could work with teams to get in a conference like this:

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Iowa State
Northern Iowa
Drake
Creighton
Northwestern
Marquette

This conference would still be VERY COMPETIVE, provide more opportunities for all their students, athletes, and fans! There would be a lot of good rivalries for fans to travel to and from. It would allow Minnesota to get into a better hockey conference for their fans to enjoy once again. Midwest conference of Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Bemidji, Duluth, St. Cloud, St. Thomas, Mankato, Augustana, Nebraska Omaha. C'mon Coyle, lets start the talking and lead the way!
This conference would indeed be very competitive, and extremely poor!

This is such a loser attitude that is way too typical in Minnesota fans. Welp woe is me, we can’t compete so let’s kick our own butts out the door instead of trying to ride to the occasion and get better.

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Iowa State
Northern Iowa
Drake
Creighton
Northwestern
Marquette

Drake?

200w.gif

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Iowa State
Northern Iowa
Drake
Creighton
Northwestern
Marquette

You put a lot of thought into your posts, don'tcha?
First, you have the B1G expanding to 14 teams, and now you have us in a conference playing football against Creighton and Marquette.

Well done.

I think major football conferences have roughly three tiers of programs. A small percentage that are perennially in the top tier, a large percentage in the middle tier, and a small percentage that are perennially in the bottom tier. Adding/subtracting teams may shuffle the deck chairs for a few seasons, but over time things will settle into these three tiers. Where programs land within that middle tier can change from year to year, as they are much more closely competitive.

As I've posted before, each game has a winner and loser.

In 5-10 years football and men’s basketball could break off from conferences and do their own thing.

The B1G would remain and non-revenue sports return to their traditional regional conferences.

The fact is, the bigger these conferences get, the more they will look like clusters of a bunch of Independents grouped together. It takes more than a title to make a league, and when you only play about half your conference, is it really a conference anymore? More like....a bunch of independents. The leagues don't realize this, but they may be making themselves irrelevant in some ways

I can't see any school voluntarily choosing to leave the B1G - and that big pile of TV money.

now, if there is future realignment - such as the B1G and SEC breaking off to form a "Super-League," or the NCAA adopting the tiered approach that the NCAA President has discussed, teams would have to choose to participate - but it's still really hard to turn down the money.

to me, the biggest wildcard will still come from the courts. If D1 football and basketball players are deemed to be employees; if schools are ordered to do full revenue-sharing with athletes, etc - then all bets are off. but I still think the most likely outcome is for the B1G to stay intact - or even add two more teams and go to a 'pod' system.

Man, I miss the good 'ol days of cash in a paper bag, no-show jobs, and pretend amateurism.

Minnesota
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Iowa State
Northern Iowa
Drake
Creighton
Northwestern
Marquette

That’s a lot of Iowa.

Top Bottom