How Long (or Short) is Tanner Morgan’s Leash in 2021 (if Morgan doesn’t take a step forward in big way, I can’t imagine Fleck waits long to change)

Is Zach a junior in eligibility this year? (I’m all screwed up on what year he’s in.)
It's confusing in "normal" times but it seems like he'd have 3 more seasons to play?? He only played as a freshman right or did he redshirt as a freshman and play his second year? Whether Covid or redshirt, he didn't play last year. Seems like he'd get a medical redshirt in there somewhere giving him 3 years to compete? After all Eric Curry is in year 9.

He won’t get yanked. Only chance is if we start like 0-5 and he is playing horrible, last year he was not horrible.
He was all big ten honorable mention.
If the backup is better than him, he should get yanked now.
If the backup is worse than him, he shouldn’t get yanked unless injury or they think sitting him gets his head right to play better later

It's hard to speculate on just about any of this without knowing firsthand the level of development of guys like Clark, Kramer, and even Zack. Not out of the realm of possibility, given the relatively modest ceiling of Morgan, that one or more QB's have at least closed the gap considerably in the last 12-18 months.

The one thing I would slightly disagree with here in some comments; if indeed the gap isn't massive from Morgan to QB #2, and Morgan starts out playing subpar football, I don't think it would take a MAJOR injury to make a move.

With the returning starters this year, particularly on the OL, obviously the window for a big season is now. Can't sacrifice any games out of loyalty to a guy who had a good season almost 24 months ago.
I have zero concern with ZA's development. Clear #2 or starter. Clark would need to take a big step to match. Kramer has not impressed.

Morgan has chutzpah and accuracy. Sure hope the OLine plays up to expectations. If they do it is going to be a fun year.

We just saw the QBs play a few months ago in the spring game. I realize it's not the same thing as having bullets fly in a B1G game, but Morgan looked like his 2019 self completing multiple RPO's and sideline routes along with some nice deep shots. Annexstad was impressive, looked athletic running the ball, and aside from a couple boneheaded decisions struck me as an above average B1G QB. Clark didn't play, but I can't imagine he closed the gap enough to overtake either of those guys. Kramer got one series, I believe?
I wish I had your confidence in ZA. I didn’t watch all the spring game but saw enough to see that Zach still has bad habits when under pressure- doesn’t step up in the pocket consistently, frequently back pedal excessively and throws off the back foot too often.

Pulled for whom? Backups suck, long long leash.

I wish I had your confidence in ZA. I didn’t watch all the spring game but saw enough to see that Zach still has bad habits when under pressure- doesn’t step up in the pocket consistently, frequently back pedal excessively and throws off the back foot too often.
Sort of like Morgan last year?

Morgan is a very accurate passer but he does not have a 'cannon' arm.
He is short and not fleet of foot.
The games he was thought to do poorly were games in which he was under heavy pressure and was bounced around.
With adequate protection and gifted WRs he will pick you apart.
The absence of a talented pass receiving TE in the offensive play book really limits him.
You're right. The stellar TE play is what made 2019 a success for Tanner. If it wasn't for those outstanding 11 catches for 88 yards, Morgan would have "only" thrown 199 completions for 3,165 yards.

The TE is a blocking position in Fleck's offense, with the occasional pass thrown in. The TE position (I included Seth Green's one catch for 8 yards in the total although he was not listed as a TE) accounted for 5% of Tanner's completions and 2.7% of his yardage.

Clearly the money making position for Tanner's success. Would he have been even better if we actually incorporated the TEs in to the passing game? Debatable, but not a given. 2019 was a good year by any measure for a Big Ten QB.

You're right. The stellar TE play is what made 2019 a success for Tanner. If it wasn't for those outstanding 11 catches for 88 yards, Morgan would have "only" thrown 199 completions for 3,165 yards.

The TE is a blocking position in Fleck's offense, with the occasional pass thrown in. The TE position (I included Seth Green's one catch for 8 yards in the total although he was not listed as a TE) accounted for 5% of Tanner's completions and 2.7% of his yardage.

Clearly the money making position for Tanner's success. Would he have been even better if we actually incorporated the TEs in to the passing game? Debatable, but not a given. 2019 was a good year by any measure for a Big Ten QB.
Well, when you put it that way...

That will be a tough sell for PJ since he has the most returning experience in the FBS!
britney-spears-shocked.gif
Well, it's the youngest group with the most experience ever, so there's that. I'm sure.

Sort of like Morgan last year?
I kind of disagree with that. Morgan was having trouble reading coverage last year even when not under pressure. A lot of the pressure was self inflicted by holding the ball too long.
Not an excuse, just a different interpretation of his struggles.

I kind of disagree with that. Morgan was having trouble reading coverage last year even when not under pressure. A lot of the pressure was self inflicted by holding the ball too long.
Yep, I think we actually agree. Pressure of any making last year.

I hear you. Like I said, I saw a couple boneheaded plays, but other than that an above average B1G QB IMO. He looked better than a lot of starters I've seen other teams running out against MN the past few years. But Morgan is the definite starter...there's no doubt about that.

being in a new system with a new OC and only few weeks of practice can do that

Morgan was missing 3 of 5 starting interior O-lineman for much of the season last year if I recall correctly. 4 of 6 if you count the absence of Paulson at TE who was a blocking beast in 2019. That's bound to impact a QB. I'm looking forward to 2021 with a full lineup (with fingers crossed for no injury of course!).

Top Bottom