How Gophers’ P.J. Fleck vs. Purdue’s Jeff Brohm has become a budding rivalry

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

In the days leading up to the teams’ game in West Lafayette, Ind., last September, Fleck was agitated by a quote from Purdue’s top defender Derrick Barnes in the Fort Wayne (Ind.) Journal Gazette. To set it up, in 2018, Purdue had beaten No. 2 Ohio State, lost to unranked Michigan State and then beat No. 19 Iowa over three weeks, while Minnesota was 4-5 and had just fired defensive coordinator Robb Smith after a dismal loss to Illinois.

Go Gophers!!

I really don't feel like the items mentioned in the article really explain much at all.

Like PJ handing out player quotes, that could just be motivation.

Still not sure what the story between PJ and Jeff really is, or why folks at Purdue's administration seem kinda bitter about stuff here and there.

It's kinda inexplicable to me still.

Are we supposed to buy into this rivalry because we will continue to get owned by uw, UM, and Iowa?

Just looking for another good clean game and then we'll see the handshake at the end. Obvious that both coaches don't care for each other for some reason. I have speculations but only personal opinions as to why.

Just looking for another good clean game and then we'll see the handshake at the end. Obvious that both coaches don't care for each other for some reason. I have speculations but only personal opinions as to why.
I don’t think we’ll see the handshake this year.

Two completely different personalities so it is not surprising there is no love lost there.

They are by nature competitve people. They are both coaching at "second tier" programs in the same division and they play each other every year. They were both hired at their current schools the same year and their names were linked to some of the same jobs before that. They are both trying to make their programs relevant in a time when that means getting past Iowa and wisconsin. They recruit some of the same geographic areas and at about the same perceived level of success. Coming into this season, they had identical conference records, but the perception was that Fleck had Minnesota trending up while Purdue appeared to be stagnating. Fleck has grabbed more national attention, while Brohm is perceived as the sharper football mind. There were even stories shortly after they were hired about how much Brohm's kid loved Fleck. Given all that, it's no surprise to me that they don't seem to care for one another. Fleck is too positive, too outgoing, too "new agey" for old school football guys like Brohm (or Frost, or Ferentz, etc.).

This game is a chance for Brohm to even his record against Minesota and make a statement that Purdue has regained the upper hand in any competition between the two schools. If he can do that and take a crap in Fleck's Easter basket at the same time, he'll be thrilled.

They are by nature competitve people. They are both coaching at "second tier" programs in the same division and they play each other every year. They were both hired at their current schools the same year and their names were linked to some of the same jobs before that. They are both trying to make their programs relevant in a time when that means getting past Iowa and wisconsin. They recruit some of the same geographic areas and at about the same perceived level of success. Coming into this season, they had identical conference records, but the perception was that Fleck had Minnesota trending up while Purdue appeared to be stagnating. Fleck has grabbed more national attention, while Brohm is perceived as the sharper football mind. There were even stories shortly after they were hired about how much Brohm's kid loved Fleck. Given all that, it's no surprise to me that they don't seem to care for one another. Fleck is too positive, too outgoing, too "new agey" for old school football guys like Brohm (or Frost, or Ferentz, etc.).

This game is a chance for Brohm to even his record against Minesota and make a statement that Purdue has regained the upper hand in any competition between the two schools. If he can do that and take a crap in Fleck's Easter basket at the same time, he'll be thrilled.
One game doesn’t mean either program has the upper hand.
They’re both trying to build towards a championship program. Both have failed to this point.

Fleck Has had one season clearly the best of the two coaches. Neither one have completed their mission

One game doesn’t mean either program has the upper hand.
Of course it isn't conclusive of anything. But there's a sizeable difference for Brohm between being 2-2 against Minnesota and telling recruits considering both programs that "we kicked their tail all over their own stadium last year" versus being 1-3 and having lost three in a row. Minnesota isn't Purdue's primary rival and Purdue isn't Minnesota's primary rival. Neither views the other as holding the status they want to achieve, but they aren't on the verge of supplanting wisconsin as king of the hill in the West, so one establishing superiority over the other is a significant and more easily achievable goal in the short run.

Maybe during spring ball this would fly, I would think now it would be in the turkey or perhaps the pie. Make PJ be a 2 slice Hilly kind of guy

Top Bottom