How Good is New Gophers QB Max Brosmer?

GopherMarroon

Reaction score
Link to article:

Meet new Minnesota Gophers QB Max Brosmer

"The Gophers needed an upgrade at quarterback, if they were going to have any shot at competing in the new 2024 Big Ten, which no longer includes East, West, Leaders or Legends. It’s every team for themselves.

Enter New Hampshire grad transfer Max Brosmer, arguably the best FCS quarterback in the country last season. He was named 1st-Team All-Conference (CAA) for 2023 and led all FCS QBs in passing yards and total yards, (2nd in passing TDs). He has one year of eligibility remaining."

"....His numbers are awesome. But what has me most excited about Max, is his tape....."

No one knows how good he is…

If he simply plays better in 2024 than Kaliakmanis played in 2023, this year's team will have a huge leg up.

In a FleckBall/TresselBall offense, the QB doesn't have to be Patrick Mahomes. He does, however, have to understand the offense inside and out and he must be capable of decisive, accurate throws. No holding the ball while staring down receivers. No bounce passes, no sailed throws, no two-yard bullets. A catchable pass to the right receiver is what is required.

Link to article:

Meet new Minnesota Gophers QB Max Brosmer

"The Gophers needed an upgrade at quarterback, if they were going to have any shot at competing in the new 2024 Big Ten, which no longer includes East, West, Leaders or Legends. It’s every team for themselves.

Enter New Hampshire grad transfer Max Brosmer, arguably the best FCS quarterback in the country last season. He was named 1st-Team All-Conference (CAA) for 2023 and led all FCS QBs in passing yards and total yards, (2nd in passing TDs). He has one year of eligibility remaining."

"....His numbers are awesome. But what has me most excited about Max, is his tape....."

Looks quickly to his left, makes a microscopically small pump fake that direction, then drills a strike to the proper receiver without having to really set his feet.

I like it.

Last edited:

AirMax will be better than AK. We need more quality FCS players to elevate the roster. FCS unlike Iowa is not a 4 letter word. It's great the way PJ is adapting to the changing college scenery unlike Saban who quit because of his closed minded outlook on coaching. "If you only run in place you will never win a marathon." Sir Roger Bannister

Last edited:

Surely if we speculate enough now about his success the chances of him being all Big10 at the end of season increase.
I mean it is a fair question to wonder how good he is going to be.....but the reality is that nobody will be able to answer the question until he actually gets on the field and proves if he is good enough to play at this level.

Seems highly likely he will be a step up from AK.....how big a step up remains to be seen.

He better be good or next summer Gopherhole will rip into him. How else could people know we are superfans.

Hopefully Max Bro is great and he can effectively mentor young Drake. I hate the thought of Harbaugh altering the kid's motion and screwing him up like AK. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Surely if we speculate enough now about his success the chances of him being all Big10 at the end of season increase.

Ha! He certainly doesn't need to perform at an All B1G level in order to be a major upgrade from last season.

Mere competence will do quite nicely.

Fewer bounce passes, sailed throws and/or two yard bullets, please. That's all we ask.

Athletes like Daniel Jackson and Darius Taylor are only going to raise Max's ceiling above what he accomplished last year.

Aireontae Ersery on the blindside of a deadly consistent O-Line that brings back 4 starters. They go up against real dudes every day in that D-Line room. Iron sharpening iron.

I just wonder if he is a “can’t miss” like last year’s WR transfers.

I just wonder if he is a “can’t miss” like last year’s WR transfers.
Where are people calling Brosmer can't miss? And for that matter who was saying that about the WR transfers? No recruit or transfer is ever can't miss.

Passing game was a mess last year so tough to really evaluate the receivers but Crooms was decent. Spencer was a disappointment but he still has another year and maybe things will go better for him with more competent play from the QB position.

Have you heard or read somewhere that Brosmer is "can't miss"?
Nope, just like people weren't saying the WRs were "can't miss" last year. People said the WR room was deep pre-season (which it was). CRAB and Brockington ended up hurt and the QB was terrible.

Where are people calling Brosmer can't miss? And for that matter who was saying that about the WR transfers? No recruit or transfer is ever can't miss.

Passing game was a mess last year so tough to really evaluate the receivers but Crooms was decent. Spencer was a disappointment but he still has another year and maybe things will go better for him with more competent play from the QB position.
I was pretty high on the receivers last year but I don't think I would ever say any new player is can't miss. It was pretty tough to judge the receivers last year with our epically bad play from the QB.

I am pretty high on Brosmer but we do need WRs to step up. Our WR "room" to me this year isn't awe-inspiring.

I could be wrong, but I hope Brosmer was not just brought in to be "better than AK."

granted, any improvement at QB will be welcomed. But I hope that Brosmer was brought in to try and elevate the passing game - a major improvement as opposed to a minor improvement.

at MN, it's been so long since we the fans have seen really strong QB play that we've almost forgotten what it looks like.

2019 Tanner Morgan should not be the ceiling for what we expect of QB play - it should be the floor for what we expect. Why can't MN have a QB that is drafted in the NFL - even a QB that is drafted before Saturday?

as good as the running game has been at MN - imagine that same running game combined with a legitimate P4 QB and passing attack. I'd buy that for a dollar.

I could be wrong, but I hope Brosmer was not just brought in to be "better than AK."
"better than AK" makes the Gophers an 8-win team against a very tough schedule last year. I'm happy if the Gophers are beating the teams in their weight class. Unless someone is going to step in and elevate the Gophers the way Nike elevated Oregon, I'm not going to be concerned about what they do against Ohio State and Michigan.

If you start paying the players and put in a salary cap, however...

Last edited:

We know he's better than what we watched last year. I can tell you that just from the clip above.
I hope you are correct. Last year at this time everyone thought AK would be a huge upgrade over TM. He was not

I hope you are correct. Last year at this time everyone thought AK would be a huge upgrade over TM. He was not
I can tell you that I did not think that AK was an upgrade over TM. AK was not capable of placing a ball as accurately, as quickly, with as much touch as that clip above. That pass alone would have won the game against Northwestern.

Have you heard or read somewhere that Brosmer is "can't miss"?
Nope. That's why I said "I am just wondering if......."
We can dig up the posts if you want, but it was "explained" to me that those WR transfers were "different" than past WR transfers and I was even told "WR is going from a weakness to a strength" on the team. 🤷‍♂️

Let's hope Brosmer comes closer to expectations.

Yeah those posts were hilarious ... even at the time.

Heck even when AK did well, he wasn't surpassing TM, but you'd think he was based on some users reaction.

2019 Tanner Morgan should not be the ceiling for what we expect of QB play - it should be the floor for what we expect. Why can't MN have a QB that is drafted in the NFL - even a QB that is drafted before Saturday?
Morgan was the 2nd best QB in the Big Ten in 2019 (behind Justin Fields). So you think that is what should be the floor? I mean...I would absolutely love that but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

I was very enthusiastic about AK coming into last season. My excitement was based on:

— Obvious athletic talents, especially the arm talent

— I thought AK played pretty well after replacing Morgan in 2022

— I'm an optimistic fan. I always get excited for the team, in every offseason.

I cheered for AK last year. It turned out to be a disappointing year for him. But I see Brosmer's strengths as different from AK's, and much more similar to Morgan. He may be a better fit for the FleckBall style of play than AK was.

I disagree with SON; if Brosmer plays as well as Morgan in 2019, I'll be thrilled. But the key point is: he doesn't have to play as well as Morgan did in 2019 for the team to show improvement over last season.

Top Bottom