How Good/Bad is the B1G this year?

Well, disagree that they won't run away with it. It takes an abnormal game to beat them, at least from B1G teams.

Arizona has two beefy 7' players, so it'll be interesting to see Purdue against them next weekend.
They may very well run away with it, but my reason i said they wont is because of their inconsistent guard play. In their loss on road(THEIR ONLY TRUE ROAD GAME) they shot 26% from 3. They were 26% on threes against Tennessee and 23% against Gonzaga. Those are all good teams obviously, but the guards shooting are hit or miss. As bad as everyone thinks the big ten is when they are on road, they will be challenged. You're right that Arizona game definately should be a good one.

The Big ten as a basketball conference has been vastly overrated for atleast 5-10 years. When waa their last NCAA Champion or even Finalist?
Most recent Champion - Michigan State / 2000
Most recent Finalist - Michigan / 2018

Most recent Champion - Michigan State / 2000
Most recent Finalist - Michigan / 2018
I’m not willing to concede that the quality of a conference is determined solely by championship wins or appearances. If one conference had for or five of the last eight, would it be substandard if none of them made the final. Maybe down but I don’t accept this is the most important data point.

I also think the fast cycles of roster changes make the ups and downs much quicker and has brought the quality of the game down in the big picture too. The B1G is down but so is all of college basketball.

I’m not willing to concede that the quality of a conference is determined solely by championship wins or appearances. If one conference had for or five of the last eight, would it be substandard if none of them made the final. Maybe down but I don’t accept this is the most important data point.

I also think the fast cycles of roster changes make the ups and downs much quicker and has brought the quality of the game down in the big picture too. The B1G is down but so is all of college basketball.
My level of excitement for NCAA Division I College Basketball is at it's lowest ever since Bird vs Magic. The Gopher's plight is part of it, but not the only reason nor probably even the Top 2.

For the first time ever in my life, I am probably more of an NBA/Wolves fan. It's not because my fandom for the Wolves has increased.

Last edited:

My level of excitement for NCAA Division I College Basketball is at it's lowest ever since Bird vs Magic. The Gopher's plight is part of it, but not the only reason nor probably even the Top 2.

For the first time ever in my life, I am probably more of an NBA/Wolves fan. It's not because my fandom for the Wolves has increased.
I know things are bleak, but choosing the NBA/Wolves over college is a pretty dark turn. I hope you get out of your funk. Maybe some D-3 ball will help!

I know things are bleak, but choosing the NBA/Wolves over college is a pretty dark turn. I hope you get out of your funk. Maybe some D-3 ball will help!
I'm still bullish on the MIAC, been to 2 games already and plan on going to another tomorrow.

That will make 3 more than NBA & D1 combined! 😀

I'm still bullish on the MIAC, been to 2 games already and plan on going to another tomorrow.

That will make 3 more than NBA & D1 combined! 😀
Carleton, St. Olaf or both?

Carleton, St. Olaf or both?
Both previous games were Carleton, as is today against St Scholastica.

I missed the game when they played each other this past Monday at St Olaf, I was out of town. Knights won in 2OT.

How Purdue hasn't went after some athletic guard transfers, is beyond me! I guess they don't like making long NCAA tourney runs.

How Purdue hasn't went after some athletic guard transfers, is beyond me! I guess they don't like making long NCAA tourney runs.
They did. They have a transfer guard who is athletic and can make the three.

This league feels like going into the last weekend of conference play teams could win and get a bye, lose and play weakling Wednesday. Those 8 way tie breakers might be in play

You are correct, last I saw them I saw the same returners. Although if I was painter, I would have tried for one or two bigger and long guards to stop dribble penetration but also could play uptempo on offense.

Lance Jones was the second best player on Southern Illinois. The best player on SIU was Marcus Domask who transferred to Illinois and just had 33 against Florida Atlantic.

SIU is still decent but could have been a great midmajor this season.

Lance Jones was the second best player on Southern Illinois. The best player on SIU was Marcus Domask who transferred to Illinois and just had 33 against Florida Atlantic.

SIU is still decent but could have been a great midmajor this season.
Until something is done to manage NIL and open no sit transfers, that is the future of mid-major basketball. I don't like it and it feels like killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Top Bottom