How Good/Bad is the B1G this year?

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Or how even is it? Hard to gauge this early in the season, but Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue are pretty good, beyond that it looks pretty wide open.

Or how even is it? Hard to gauge this early in the season, but Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue are pretty good, beyond that it looks pretty wide open.
I would say the league is bad by recent standards. I’m not sure it’s only four tournament teams bad like Hodgers last projection. But teams like Michigan and Michigan State are below standard.Maryland has been good recently and don’t look good now.

I’ll go with a no analysis six teams in the tournament with an assumption that a couple teams hit their stride in the conference season.

I’d add Ohio State to your list of good teams and Iowa isn’t far behind.

I would say the league is bad by recent standards. I’m not sure it’s only four tournament teams bad like Hodgers last projection. But teams like Michigan and Michigan State are below standard.Maryland has been good recently and don’t look good now.

I’ll go with a no analysis six teams in the tournament with an assumption that a couple teams hit their stride in the conference season.

I’d add Ohio State to your list of good teams and Iowa isn’t far behind.
I would also add Ohio State. Indiana and Northwestern are always tough outs at home so they will be in mix also i would think. Curious how Iowa will do tonight! Not gonna count out Michigan State quite yet as they are banged up and Izzo will get them going as always im sure.

I would also add Ohio State. Indiana and Northwestern are always tough outs at home so they will be in mix also i would think. Curious how Iowa will do tonight! Not gonna count out Michigan State quite yet as they are banged up and Izzo will get them going as always im sure.
And Sparty always gets the benefit of the doubt in March, increasing the likelihood of another B1G team in the tournament.

Having two games of Gophers to look at in at tOSU where they were blown out and then cut it to 6 before giving up 9 straight points. Then seeing them flip the Nebraska game completely around, the conference looks to be a lot more of Home teams winning and if you can win any road games you will be on the bubble.

Your right. Most teams that make it from Big Ten hold serve at home and win 2 or 3 on the road. Indiana at Michigan, Wisconsin at Michigan State, and Illinois at Rutgers already have cashed in on road victories.

I would say the league is bad by recent standards. I’m not sure it’s only four tournament teams bad like Hodgers last projection.
My most recent projection (Monday) had 6:

Purdue (5), Ohio State (20), Illinois (23), Wisconsin (26), Northwestern (48), Michigan State (51)

My next projection (coming Sunday) will drop Michigan State. Indiana and Iowa are possibilities depending on what they do between now and Sunday.

Sparty has a very, very important non-conference game coming up vs. Baylor. They need that one, not to mention their game @ Nebraska on Sunday.

Purdue (5), Ohio State (20), Illinois (23), Wisconsin (26), Northwestern (48), Michigan State (51)

My next projection (coming Sunday) will drop Michigan State. Indiana and Iowa are possibilities depending on what they do between now and Sunday.

Sparty has a very, very important non-conference game coming up vs. Baylor. They need that one, not to mention their game @ Nebraska on Sunday.
Sorry. I didn’t see Mondays update.

That Baylor game is a massive game for them as i would assume since the way The last 2 Nebraska games have gone, that Michigan State will be getting Nebraska's best effort on Sunday.

We have three ranked games the rest of the year against B1G teams. The league is as bad as it's ever been. If there is EVER a year to win games this is it.

I read that after losing to Wisconsin a couple nights ago, MSU is only 31-29 in their last 60 conference games. That blows my mind. The perception of MSU >>> reality.

The Big 10 hasn't been a good basketball conference for years. It's especially bad this year.

Define what you mean by good or bad (or up/down). The metrics have the B1G as the second-best conference right now, behind only the B12. If you are talking about multiple teams vying for #1 or #2 seeds, then the conference is bad. If you are talking about depth and competitiveness, it's really good. Last year, 2nd place was 12-8 and the 12th place was 9-11 - it's shaping up in a similar way this year. with perhaps a couple more teams on the bottom.

For this entire century, for better or worse I used the Big 10-ACC Challenge as a major component to get a read on the Conference overall. Without the Gophers playing in the Gavitt Tipoff, I did not pay any attention to that either.

My limited source of knowledge, has me thinking the Conference is not very good. Still could make for an exciting event at Target Center though with perhaps several bubble teams playing for their NCAA Tourney berths.

Maryland, Penn St, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Michigan are not very good. Im guessing Purdue will win the league by a healthy margin. Illinois, NW, Wisconsin and Ohio St look solid. Indiana and Iowa I would say mediocre. Not sure what’s going on at Mich St. Where do the Gophs fit? I feel like they could be solidly in the middle if they could play an entire game like the second half last night.

I think its not as deep with great teams and I'd call it inconsistent. I'd bet there are a lot of random out comes this year. Purdue and Illinois for me are clear top 2. Wis probably up there

I read that after losing to Wisconsin a couple nights ago, MSU is only 31-29 in their last 60 conference games. That blows my mind. The perception of

Define what you mean by good or bad (or up/down). The metrics have the B1G as the second-best conference right now, behind only the B12. If you are talking about multiple teams vying for #1 or #2 seeds, then the conference is bad. If you are talking about depth and competitiveness, it's really good. Last year, 2nd place was 12-8 and the 12th place was 9-11 - it's shaping up in a similar way this year. with perhaps a couple more teams
Big ten always solid. Havent fared well in Ncaa lately so everyone thinks conference not good. Off to a bad start obviously, but maybe they do well in tourney this year.

Define what you mean by good or bad (or up/down). The metrics have the B1G as the second-best conference right now, behind only the B12. If you are talking about multiple teams vying for #1 or #2 seeds, then the conference is bad. If you are talking about depth and competitiveness, it's really good. Last year, 2nd place was 12-8 and the 12th place was 9-11 - it's shaping up in a similar way this year. with perhaps a couple more teams on the bottom.
This is always the question. I think most people see quality of conference defined more by the top of the league than the middle and bottom. The perception of the B1G is skewed by no championship teams in over 20 years. The numbers say one thing but the eye test says another about the league this year. As a fan I am most interested in competitive balance and quality of play. This isn’t the best the conference has been but there won’t be many if any nights off for the top teams either.

I read that after losing to Wisconsin a couple nights ago, MSU is only 31-29 in their last 60 conference games. That blows my mind. The perception of MSU >>> reality.
Definitely not the Big Ten’s best regular season program (that’s now Purdue) like they have been for most of the last 25 years.

Yet still, the last Big Ten program to win it all (2000) and the last to reach the Final Four (2019).

My next projection (coming Sunday) will drop Michigan State. Indiana and Iowa are possibilities
Iowa State says there is no need to consider the Hawkeyes after their 90-65 thumping of Fearless Francis’ today.
Double Woof 🐶

depending on what they do between now and Sunday.

Would the B1G win more than one game in a head to head with the Big Twelve?

The B1G has been bad for at least 4 seasons now. This year appears no different. Wisconsin is on a nice run now again unfortunately and could end up top 4 again. Michigan State seems to be going through some chemistry issues. I didn't watch their game against Wisconsin, but they had two guards take almost all their shots. I would bank on Izzo getting it going at some point as they've had a really bad stretch in seemingly every season recently.

The B1G has been bad for at least 4 seasons now. This year appears no different. Wisconsin is on a nice run now again unfortunately and could end up top 4 again. Michigan State seems to be going through some chemistry issues. I didn't watch their game against Wisconsin, but they had two guards take almost all their shots. I would bank on Izzo getting it going at some point as they've had a really bad stretch in seemingly every season recently.
MSU has a lot of young raw talent that doesn't seem to have found their legs yet at this level. They seemed hesitant vs Wisconsin. As the year goes on, I'd assume they'd figure it out. Not that I don't mind seeing Izzo fail and have his fans call for his job.

MSU definitely has not been a great regular season team the last few years, but they usually seem to get better as the year goes on and have had some success in the NCAA tournament which improves the overall perception of the program.

But I was surprised to see their Big Ten record over the last few years hovering right around .500. I would have expected it to be better than that so definitely a case of perception being better than reality in terms of how well they play.

Would the B1G win more than one game in a head to head with the Big Twelve?
b12 might be the only strong conference this season. bigten, acc, sec, big east all look a bit down with only 3 ranked teams in each

Maryland, Penn St, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Michigan are not very good. Im guessing Purdue will win the league by a healthy margin. Illinois, NW, Wisconsin and Ohio St look solid. Indiana and Iowa I would say mediocre. Not sure what’s going on at Mich St. Where do the Gophs fit? I feel like they could be solidly in the middle if they could play an entire game like the second half last night.
Im not ready to say Purdue will win the league by a healthy margin quite yet. They are clearly the favorite, but their guards are too inconsistent to run away with it.

Im not ready to say Purdue will win the league by a healthy margin quite yet. They are clearly the favorite, but their guards are too inconsistent to run away with it.
Well, disagree that they won't run away with it. It takes an abnormal game to beat them, at least from B1G teams.

Arizona has two beefy 7' players, so it'll be interesting to see Purdue against them next weekend.

The Big ten as a basketball conference has been vastly overrated for atleast 5-10 years. When waa their last NCAA Champion or even Finalist?

Top Bottom