How do we keep a good coach?

Reaction score
We all know Brewster will be gone sooner or later. With that said, how is the U supposed to keep a good coach? The reason I ask is that it seems that coaches with any kind of caché (ala Holtz, Saban and even Kiffin) take a job they don't really want as a placeholder until the job they really want opens up.

How does the U reconcile this? I get nervous when people throw around the big names because it seems to me that we will only be disappointed when they leave to coach a USC, Michigan or Florida State if and when they open, or even a pro team. I question people's thinking when they throw out names like John Gruden or Bevell for that matter. If they get courted by a pro team with a huge contract, they would be gone. How do you fix it? More money?

We all know Brewster will be gone sooner or later. With that said, how is the U supposed to keep a good coach? The reason I ask is that it seems that coaches with any kind of caché (ala Holtz, Saban and even Kiffin) take a job they don't really want as a placeholder until the job they really want opens up.

How does the U reconcile this? I get nervous when people throw around the big names because it seems to me that we will only be disappointed when they leave to coach a USC, Michigan or Florida State if and when they open, or even a pro team. I question people's thinking when they throw out names like John Gruden or Bevell for that matter. If they get courted by a pro team with a huge contract, they would be gone. How do you fix it? More money?

Honestly, right now I'm more worried about HIRING a good coach. We can worry about keeping them later.

It's been 26 years since we lost a good coach. I'd worry about the 26 years without hiring a good coach first.

You never know what reaching a Rose Bowl would do for this program, community, etc. and how that would affect the coach and his future intentions.

Honestly, right now I'm more worried about HIRING a good coach. We can worry about keeping them later.

Why? Presuming we keep most of our roster, the next coach, regardless of who we hire, is going to be considered a "good" coach.

Why? Presuming we keep most of our roster, the next coach, regardless of who we hire, is going to be considered a "good" coach.

After watching Tim Brewster operate and the thought process Joel Maturi has articulated in regards to his hiring, I'd prefer to take things one step at a time. :eek:

It's been 26 years since we lost a good coach. I'd worry about the 26 years without hiring a good coach first.

You never know what reaching a Rose Bowl would do for this program, community, etc. and how that would affect the coach and his future intentions.

Good points. Personally, I think someone with integrity like Dungy would ease those kinds of concerns. I know he'll never do it but there has to be someone that straddles the line of integrity and good coaching right?

After watching Tim Brewster operate and the thought process Joel Maturi has articulated in regards to his hiring, I'd prefer to take things one step at a time. :eek:

No, I mean the team returns a vast amount of experience and is probably going to be much better next year. Any old schmuck in that position is going to be credited for turning the team around because human beings are prone to logical fallacies.

No, I mean the team returns a vast amount of experience and is probably going to be much better next year. Any old schmuck in that position is going to be credited for turning the team around because human beings are prone to logical fallacies.

I see what you're saying. And I understand the nature of fans and that some will undoubtedly give whoever we hire a lot of credit early whether it's warranted or not. As for me, I'm looking for someone who is at least qualified, which Brewster is not.

I see what you're saying. And I understand the nature of fans and that some will undoubtedly give whoever we hire a lot of credit early whether it's warranted or not. As for me, I'm looking for someone who is at least qualified, which Brewster is not.

How is he not qualified? They all teach the same thing. And next year's team look like they could be very good. But again, logical fallacies at play.

Oh well, when you've waited this long, what's another decade?

How is he not qualified? They all teach the same thing. And next year's team look like they could be very good. But again, logical fallacies at play.

WTF are you talking about? So any coach is a good coach because they all teach football? I must admit to liking the whole "logical fallacies" angle however .

No, I'm just talking about the X's and O's part.

Yeah, but there are different offensive and defensive philosophies and responsibilities depending upon situation and personnel. Having said that, I get what you're saying. My goal is to find somebody that can effectively translate that X's and O's part onto the field of play, something Brewster hasn't done.

+1. How do we hire a good coach is the only pertinent question (assuming Brew is done). If the coach we hire leaves after two years than we can assume something was going right and the program should be in a better place for the next guy.

My goal is to find somebody that can effectively translate that X's and O's part onto the field of play, something Brewster hasn't done.

I'm not worried about the X's and O's, my concern lies with the chronic lack of talent, experience and depth. We have a decent enough offense in '07, but the defense is dreadful. The defense improves, but the offense graduates Wheelwright, Pinnix, Brinkhaus, and Shidell. Now the offense looks like it has a little bite, but we go and lose ten guys from the defense. We plug one leak, another one springs.

Next year, with nearly the entire defense and some skilled offensive players returning, we might finally be able to field competent units on both sides of the ball. The dreaded recruiting classes of 04, 05, and 06 will be mercifully behind us.

The correct answer. We've lost one coach (to Notre Dame when Notre Dame was still NOTRE DAME).

I'm not worried about the X's and O's, my concern lies with the chronic lack of talent, experience and depth.

Which is going to improve once the product you're trying to sell the kids improves. Or you at least give them a reason to come here. Like say, Mike Leach implementing an offense that is appealing to certain offensive skill players! He also clearly knows his X's and O's.

Which is going to improve once the product you're trying to sell the kids improves.

Well, it's going to improve in the next couple years unless there is a bunch of attrition.

Top Bottom