How Bad to you want the OSU to lose?

On a Scale From 1-10 (1 = Meh, 10 = Thanks Santy Claus)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Indiana took OSU to the brink. They're not as good as the hype would have everyone believe. NU has a real shot at winning this.
You talking about the team that got humiliated by Michigan State?? No.

How silly.

1) There is nothing good that can come from OSU losing. Just makes all Big Ten teams look bad.

2) Indiana did not deserve the Big Ten title game.They lost to OSU. What world do you live in where that means they deserve it over OSU?? It’s OSU’s fault that Michigan cancelled the game on purpose to avoid the beat down?? Absurd.
1) How does it make the entire Big Ten look bad? Couldn’t you also argue that one team running roughshod and dominating the conference year after year after year makes the conference look bad?

2) From what I recall, by the rules laid out ahead of time at the start of the season, Indiana qualified for the championship game and Ohio State did not. You could argue that bending the rules later on to try to get a Big Ten team in playoff is justified and in the best interest of the conference, but if Indiana fans feel shafted because they would have gotten the bid if the conference held fast to their own rules, I think that’s fair.

Is there evidence that Michigan just chickened out of the game and didn’t have actual COVID concerns?

1) How does it make the entire Big Ten look bad? Couldn’t you also argue that one team running roughshod and dominating the conference year after year after year makes the conference look bad?

2) From what I recall, by the rules laid out ahead of time at the start of the season, Indiana qualified for the championship game and Ohio State did not. You could argue that bending the rules later on to try to get a Big Ten team in playoff is justified and in the best interest of the conference, but if Indiana fans feel shafted because they would have gotten the bid if the conference held fast to their own rules, I think that’s fair.

Is there evidence that Michigan just chickened out of the game and didn’t have actual COVID concerns?
Of course it makes the Big Ten look bad not to be in the playoff. What about that needs to be explained, that we’d be a weak conference?? Also, 1+1=2.

AGAIN - IU fans have zero right to feel shafted. They had their chance on the field, fair and square, and lost. Why is that hard??

Yup. Never understood the OSU hate in this situation. It's just stupid and mindless. A rising tide lifts all boats, but I know some struggle with that. The conference not being represented in the CFP doesn't do anyone's recruiting any good, considering the B1G has a perception issue nationally anyway.

Yup. There's no benefit to having the Big Ten being seen as a second tier conference. Right now....much closer to the SEC than the Big 12 or the Pac 12.

Easy TD.

And that’s that. Took them 3 quarters to wake up.

Of course it makes the Big Ten look bad not to be in the playoff. What about that needs to be explained, that we’d be a weak conference?? Also, 1+1=2.

AGAIN - IU fans have zero right to feel shafted. They had their chance on the field, fair and square, and lost. Why is that hard??

Which is exactly why a one loss Notre Dame team would likely be favored over a one loss Texas A&M team for the final playoff spot. A&M got beat down by Alabama already. I think ND would have to be completely punked by Clemson today.

Which is exactly why a one loss Notre Dame team would likely be favored over a one loss Texas A&M team for the final playoff spot. A&M got beat down by Alabama already. I think ND would have to be completely punked by Clemson today.
If Ohio State wins and Clemson wins, as I expect, bet every single dollar you have on the playoff being. 1-Bama, 2-Clemson, 3-Ohio State, 4-Notre Dame.

Then Kelly can get his wish and family members can come watch them get bitched.

I get the whole "Big Ten in the playoff" argument. However, as fellow fans of the underdog if you aren't rooting for Northwestern you have no soul.

I guess NU decided they really didn't want to win. They don't believe in, "The ball is the program," mantra.

I get the whole "Big Ten in the playoff" argument. However, as fellow fans of the underdog if you aren't rooting for Northwestern you have no soul.
How do the Gophers benefit by NW being Big Ten champions?

That’sby far the worse of the two outcomes.

So you'd rather see 2 ACC teams and 2 SEC teams in the playoff?

fe1ddfcf7dd470973a33ada09d61f3fc.jpg

Touche - I laughed out loud!

It depends on what you consider to be a strong conference. Was the ACC viewed as a strong conference in the years where Clemson competes for, or wins, a national championship, and no one else is ranked in the top 20? Or were they considered a mediocre conference that happened to include one great team that no one else can compete with?

The rules changed midway through the season to give one team an opportunity that they would not have otherwise gotten. If the Gophers score more points than the Badgers today, but the Badgers are credited with the win because they gain more yards than we do, I will argue that the Gophers should be awarded the win.

I'd waddle through a road for Coach Fitz (waddling is the best I can manage at this point).

It depends on what you consider to be a strong conference. Was the ACC viewed as a strong conference in the years where Clemson competes for, or wins, a national championship, and no one else is ranked in the top 20? Or were they considered a mediocre conference that happened to include one great team that no one else can compete with?

The rules changed midway through the season to give one team an opportunity that they would not have otherwise gotten. If the Gophers score more points than the Badgers today, but the Badgers are credited with the win because they gain more yards than we do, I will argue that the Gophers should be awarded the win.
I didn’t say getting in makes you strong. I said not getting in makes you weak. Difference there.

Your analogy isn’t valid, at all. If Gophers win today, they win the game. IU lost the game. No matter how fast you waive your hands, that is that.

I hope Northwestern returns a deflected pick 6 on the last play of the game to win and Ohio State doesn't win another football game for a year

OSU in the playoff! Good.

If Notre Dame wins: they’ll play Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.
If Clemson wins: they’ll play Clemson in the Rose Bowl.

Come on Clemson!!!

I didn’t say getting in makes you strong. I said not getting in makes you weak. Difference there.

Your analogy isn’t valid, at all. If Gophers win today, they win the game. IU lost the game. No matter how fast you waive your hands, that is that.
My analogy is that both scenarios involve changing the conditions of victory midway through a competition to grant one competitor a win that they would not have otherwise qualified for. If Ohio State went 1-0, beating Indiana head to head, and had all of their other games canceled, would you still feel that Indiana fans have no right to complain about a mid-season rule change that took a championship bid away from them?

As I said in my first post, I can understand feeling that the rule change is justified and is what’s best for the conference, but if it would have been my team playing for a championship instead, if they had stuck to the original rules, I can understand feeling that that isn’t fair.

How do the Gophers benefit by NW being Big Ten champions?

That’sby far the worse of the two outcomes.

My "argument" would be "this year is done".
Next year we are better off beating a OSU team who was in the playoffs instead of beating an OSU team who lost to NW and then we beat as well.

Beating OSU is a big deal, and getting the credit of being the last one to do it in over a year... that's probably good for a program trying to gain national recognition.

Of course, OSU might blow us out anyway, but setup the better story if we can leading up to it.
#espnthursdaygameday

My analogy is that both scenarios involve changing the conditions of victory midway through a competition to grant one competitor a win that they would not have otherwise qualified for. If Ohio State went 1-0, beating Indiana head to head, and had all of their other games canceled, would you still feel that Indiana fans have no right to complain about a mid-season rule change that took a championship bid away from them?

As I said in my first post, I can understand feeling that the rule change is justified and is what’s best for the conference, but if it would have been my team playing for a championship instead, if they had stuck to the original rules, I can understand feeling that that isn’t fair.
First bold: no, I wouldn't still feel that way, you're correct. But that's not a valid hypothetical to entertain, because OSU wasn't 1-0. they were 5-0, perfect and just one game off from meeting the requirement. Michigan cancelled on them (I guess on purpose, but proof of that will never be made public), and Maryland cancelled on them. Both those would've been wins for OSU.

Second bold: as I'll continue to say, IU fans have no right to feel that way because their team lost on the field. I'll never have sympathy for a team that had control of their own destiny, and couldn't get it done.

Top Bottom